Forum Index > Gear Talk > Trekking poles
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Traildoggie

Traildoggie
PostSat Jul 06, 2019 9:37 am 
I am flying this fall, which I don't do often. Can I take compressible/folding trekking poles in a carry on? I am not seeing them on list of banned items, but don't want to be surprised at security. I would be purchasing for this trip. I have a set of BD poles that don't compress enough to fit in carry on.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jul 06, 2019 12:32 pm 
We fly quite often. Collapsed poles usually are a no go with TSA but sometimes you can take them. You can take them in checked which is free on Southwest and most foreign airlines. If there is a Costco where you are headed you can get their poles for $30 as a throw away.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Traildoggie

Traildoggie
PostSat Jul 06, 2019 2:24 pm 
Thanks for your response. I don't check luggage so if not in a carry on, they won't go. I think ( looked further) TSA doesn't allow them. I saw the Costco ones, never thought of that. I could give them to the friend I'm staying with so that might be the best idea. thanks.

RichP

RichP
PostSat Jul 06, 2019 3:51 pm 
You could send a pair in the mail to your destination and send them back home when done.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSun Jul 07, 2019 6:59 pm 
Most sporting goods stores (Big 5, Dicks, Cabbalas, et al) would carry some basic cheap trekking poles as well. You might have TSA issues with tent stakes, any tent poles, metal sporks, and cat-hole diggers as well. The knife was already a no fly. Unless you have a very small backpack or one with no frame, most normal Hiking backpacks are over the 22 inch carry on size limit. Many airline don’t seem to enforce the rule, but many budget ones are ridiculous enforcers (Spirt, & Frontier are notorious) Given the potential issues, checking the entire backpack there might be a cost saver. I’d put the entire pack in a cardboard box to protect it and to make it non-obvious theft target. You could also apply for the airlines credit card in advance. They almost always include a free checked bag to card holders.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostSun Jul 07, 2019 8:14 pm 
InFlight wrote:
Given the potential issues, checking the entire backpack there might be a cost saver. I’d put the entire pack in a cardboard box to protect it and to make it non-obvious theft target.
I put mine in a big duffel bag and check that.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Jul 10, 2019 10:38 pm 
Just buy on site at big 5, they have some ones with decent gription.