Forum Index > Trail Talk > How safe is it to park several days at the PCT parking lot off Hwy 12 at White Pass?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Jul 10, 2019 11:11 am 
I'm planning to drop off a car in late August at the above location (here) where there's a large parking area, boat launch, hiker and horse camps, etc. and then get dropped off on FR 23 and hike along the PCT back to the car. It would probably be sitting there 6 days or so. It's an older car with nothing fancy or valuable in it! Obviously nothing is guaranteed, but would you risk it?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HappyHiker

HappyHiker
PostWed Jul 10, 2019 11:27 am 
Ask at the White Pass Village Inn if you can park in their parking lot.

If You're Lucky Enough To Be In The Mountains, You're Lucky Enough
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostThu Jul 11, 2019 12:14 am 
Either park by the store or by the trailhead - both are safe. There is a campground near the trailhead and a horse camp too - never had a problem there, never saw any broken glass

Mountainfisherman

Mountainfisherman
PostThu Jul 11, 2019 4:46 am 
I've never had a problem at any of the trailheads along Hwy 12. I frequent them a lot, have left vehicles parked there for several days numerous times. As you said, nothing is guaranteed, but you can pretty comfortable there.

podenski

podenski
PostThu Jul 11, 2019 8:07 am 
Last summer we hiked the PCT from Walupt Lake to Highway 12. Due to the Miriam Fire we left our second car at the alternate trailhead (Clear Lost Trail #76). There was one car there that had been broken into. We parked right by the trailhead. The car that had been broken into was parked about 100 yds away in another spot. This is a section along Highway 12 that is pretty isolated. When we returned to the car at end of hike there weren't any additional breakins. Not always, but sometimes at least, the breakin will be a car with obvious items plainly in sight inside the car. I don't know if that was the case there or not. Clearly parking near more traffic or activity probably is a bit more secure though.

Pat Podenski
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Jul 11, 2019 10:09 am 
Thanks for the info! Someone would need to be pretty desperate to break into my hiking car (a 1997 Outback with body damage, that I hang onto mostly because it's a good car for driving back roads)! But it's nice to know that there are options at the Inn or store.

wolffie

wolffie
PostThu Jul 11, 2019 10:57 am 
I leave my car utterly and obviously empty and unlocked and engine disabled (used to hide the distributor rotor; now I hide the main ignition fuses). I've heard of people leaving a $10 tip in an envelope ("thanks for not trashing my car, here, seems like you could use this...") I got back to Trinity once after 4 days to find my keys exactly where I'd left them, in the ignition.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.