Forum Index > Stewardship > Global Warming
Previous :: Next Topic  
Author Message
Parked Out
Member
Member


Joined: 18 Sep 2011
Posts: 376 | TRs
Location: Port Angeles, WA
Parked Out
  Top

Member
PostWed Jul 10, 2019 3:39 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Tom wrote:
Trash blog?  Are you referring to Skeptical Science?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeptical_Science

Probably a good idea to read through the Talk section of the wiki page before granting too much credence to the main page.  I've seen other Wikipedia pages on contentious subjects that are mostly curated by one or two highly biased individuals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Skeptical_Science

--------------
John
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Tom
Admin



Joined: 15 Dec 2001
Posts: 15739 | TRs

Tom
  Top

Admin
PostWed Jul 10, 2019 3:54 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I'd be surprised if there wasn't a bit of controversy in the talk section.  I don't really see anything that leads me to dismiss SkS as a trash blog.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
gb
Member
Member


Joined: 01 Jul 2010
Posts: 5141 | TRs

gb
  Top

Member
PostWed Jul 10, 2019 4:46 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
thunderhead wrote:
utterly normal.

How about the Midwest in the past 45 days or are you unable to read. And Pennsylvania last year.......
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
gb
Member
Member


Joined: 01 Jul 2010
Posts: 5141 | TRs

gb
  Top

Member
PostWed Jul 10, 2019 4:47 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Parked Out wrote:
If you actually want a response from me you'll need to drop the snottiness.

Easy way to refuse to answer. "I'm going to take my toys and go home."
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
gb
Member
Member


Joined: 01 Jul 2010
Posts: 5141 | TRs

gb
  Top

Member
PostWed Jul 10, 2019 4:50 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
thunderhead wrote:
You know you have reached a totally bogus site when a tab is labelled "arguments"

Bunch of horsepucky, I wouldn't expect more.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
RandyHiker
Snarky Member



Joined: 27 Jul 2008
Posts: 6387 | TRs
Location: Bellevue at the moment.
RandyHiker
  Top

Snarky Member
PostWed Jul 10, 2019 9:35 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
thunderhead wrote:
You posted a link to a trash blog and I indeed dismissed the entire thing as trash, after a quick glance showed no data and multiple simple physics errors.  Come back with something that isnt trash if you want me to give it any significant attention.

Again you are dismissing multiple specific debunks of climate change denial theories with only a "I choose to ignore your source" argument.

One specific case was debunking using Greenland ice core temperatures to prove that temperatures aren't rising.  The SkepticalScience blog debunks that specific theory by pointing out that ice core temperatures can only record temperatures to about 150 years before present -- as that is how long it takes for snow to compress to ice on the ice cap.  So here Skeptical Science uses specific data to contest the climate change denial claim of no rising temperatures,  since ice cores don't record temperatures during the industrial era.


So I've repeated the specifics of the debunking.  Are you now just going to dismiss it again as "trash" or provide something specific about why Greenland ice cores represent 20th and 21st century temperatures?
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Doppelganger
Gorecrow



Joined: 09 Feb 2006
Posts: 1539 | TRs
Location: Pessimising
Doppelganger
  Top

Gorecrow
PostThu Jul 11, 2019 7:25 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
RandyHiker wrote:
Are you now just going to dismiss it again as "trash" or provide something specific about why Greenland ice cores represent 20th and 21st century temperatures?

Snottiness detected! Denial justified!
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
RandyHiker
Snarky Member



Joined: 27 Jul 2008
Posts: 6387 | TRs
Location: Bellevue at the moment.
RandyHiker
  Top

Snarky Member
PostThu Jul 11, 2019 8:48 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Doppelganger wrote:
Snottiness detected! Denial justified!

I suppose in the age of Trump whining is considered a valid counter argument.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
gb
Member
Member


Joined: 01 Jul 2010
Posts: 5141 | TRs

gb
  Top

Member
PostThu Jul 11, 2019 9:15 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
RandyHiker wrote:
Doppelganger wrote:
Snottiness detected! Denial justified!

I suppose in the age of Trump whining is considered a valid counter argument.

What else is there?
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Malachai Constant
Member
Member


Joined: 13 Jan 2002
Posts: 14060 | TRs
Location: Back Again Like A Bad Penny
Malachai Constant
  Top

Member
PostThu Jul 11, 2019 10:22 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
gb wrote:
What else is there?

Personal insult, name calling, false accusations. wink.gif

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
joker
seeker



Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Posts: 7565 | TRs
Location: state of confusion
joker
  Top

seeker
PostThu Jul 11, 2019 11:11 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
gb wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
Doppelganger wrote:
Snottiness detected! Denial justified!

I suppose in the age of Trump whining is considered a valid counter argument.

What else is there?

Why, alternative facts, of course!!
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
MtnGoat
Member
Member


Joined: 17 Dec 2001
Posts: 10927 | TRs
Location: Lyle, WA
MtnGoat
  Top

Member
PostThu Jul 11, 2019 1:20 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Tom wrote:
I'd be surprised if there wasn't a bit of controversy in the talk section.  I don't really see anything that leads me to dismiss SkS as a trash blog.

I agree. It's their intentional and continual abuse of logic such as the use of strawman arguments, misdirection, and claiming to 'debunk' arguments they don't actually show to be false, which leads to that conclusion.

It's not the talk, it's the lousy content

--------------
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
MtnGoat
Member
Member


Joined: 17 Dec 2001
Posts: 10927 | TRs
Location: Lyle, WA
MtnGoat
  Top

Member
PostThu Jul 11, 2019 1:27 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
joker wrote:
Why, alternative facts, of course!!

Exactly. Facts which are true but unpopular because of their content

Such as the fact that the 97% of scientists who agree with AGW was not actually 97%. Or the fact that there are tons of studies showing that it has already been hotter for longer in the current interglacial at the sites studied

Facts are determined by the process used to derive them, not wether they are popular

--------------
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
MtnGoat
Member
Member


Joined: 17 Dec 2001
Posts: 10927 | TRs
Location: Lyle, WA
MtnGoat
  Top

Member
PostThu Jul 11, 2019 1:29 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Tom wrote:
Why would shorter term concerns de-legitimize longer term concerns?  Flip the priority and pitch the same argument to the man in the mirror.

I do find it interesting to see ultra conservative leaning family members investing in electric vehicles.  I suspect the grandkids have an impact.

I suspect tax breaks and subsidies

Lets eliminate them and find out

--------------
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
gb
Member
Member


Joined: 01 Jul 2010
Posts: 5141 | TRs

gb
  Top

Member
PostThu Jul 11, 2019 1:30 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
MtnGoat wrote:
I agree. It's their intentional and continual abuse of logic such as the use of strawman arguments, misdirection, and claiming to 'debunk' arguments they don't actually show to be false, which leads to that conclusion.

I agree. That nails Fox to a 'T'.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Stewardship > Global Warming
  Happy Birthday Snowdog, Man-inna-hillz!
Jump to:   
Search this topic:

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
   Use Disclaimer Powered by phpBB Privacy Policy