Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Global Warming
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Parked Out

Parked Out
PostWed Jul 10, 2019 3:39 pm 
Tom wrote:
Trash blog? Are you referring to Skeptical Science? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeptical_Science
Probably a good idea to read through the Talk section of the wiki page before granting too much credence to the main page. I've seen other Wikipedia pages on contentious subjects that are mostly curated by one or two highly biased individuals. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Skeptical_Science

John
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jul 10, 2019 3:54 pm 
I'd be surprised if there wasn't a bit of controversy in the talk section. I don't really see anything that leads me to dismiss SkS as a trash blog.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostWed Jul 10, 2019 4:46 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
utterly normal.
How about the Midwest in the past 45 days or are you unable to read. And Pennsylvania last year.......

gb

gb
PostWed Jul 10, 2019 4:47 pm 
Parked Out wrote:
If you actually want a response from me you'll need to drop the snottiness.
Easy way to refuse to answer. "I'm going to take my toys and go home."

gb

gb
PostWed Jul 10, 2019 4:50 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
You know you have reached a totally bogus site when a tab is labelled "arguments"
Bunch of horsepucky, I wouldn't expect more.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jul 10, 2019 9:35 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
You posted a link to a trash blog and I indeed dismissed the entire thing as trash, after a quick glance showed no data and multiple simple physics errors. Come back with something that isnt trash if you want me to give it any significant attention.
Again you are dismissing multiple specific debunks of climate change denial theories with only a "I choose to ignore your source" argument. One specific case was debunking using Greenland ice core temperatures to prove that temperatures aren't rising. The SkepticalScience blog debunks that specific theory by pointing out that ice core temperatures can only record temperatures to about 150 years before present -- as that is how long it takes for snow to compress to ice on the ice cap. So here Skeptical Science uses specific data to contest the climate change denial claim of no rising temperatures, since ice cores don't record temperatures during the industrial era. So I've repeated the specifics of the debunking. Are you now just going to dismiss it again as "trash" or provide something specific about why Greenland ice cores represent 20th and 21st century temperatures?

Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostThu Jul 11, 2019 7:25 am 

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jul 11, 2019 8:48 am 
Doppelganger wrote:
Snottiness detected! Denial justified!
I suppose in the age of Trump whining is considered a valid counter argument.

gb

gb
PostThu Jul 11, 2019 9:15 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Doppelganger wrote:
What else is there?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jul 11, 2019 10:22 am 
gb wrote:
What else is there?
Personal insult, name calling, false accusations. wink.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Jul 11, 2019 11:11 am 
gb wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
Doppelganger wrote:
What else is there?
Why, alternative facts, of course!!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jul 11, 2019 1:20 pm 
Tom wrote:
I'd be surprised if there wasn't a bit of controversy in the talk section. I don't really see anything that leads me to dismiss SkS as a trash blog.
I agree. It's their intentional and continual abuse of logic such as the use of strawman arguments, misdirection, and claiming to 'debunk' arguments they don't actually show to be false, which leads to that conclusion. It's not the talk, it's the lousy content

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jul 11, 2019 1:27 pm 
joker wrote:
Why, alternative facts, of course!!
Exactly. Facts which are true but unpopular because of their content Such as the fact that the 97% of scientists who agree with AGW was not actually 97%. Or the fact that there are tons of studies showing that it has already been hotter for longer in the current interglacial at the sites studied Facts are determined by the process used to derive them, not wether they are popular

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jul 11, 2019 1:29 pm 
Tom wrote:
Why would shorter term concerns de-legitimize longer term concerns? Flip the priority and pitch the same argument to the man in the mirror. I do find it interesting to see ultra conservative leaning family members investing in electric vehicles. I suspect the grandkids have an impact.
I suspect tax breaks and subsidies Lets eliminate them and find out

gb

gb
PostThu Jul 11, 2019 1:30 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
I agree. It's their intentional and continual abuse of logic such as the use of strawman arguments, misdirection, and claiming to 'debunk' arguments they don't actually show to be false, which leads to that conclusion.
I agree. That nails Fox to a 'T'.