Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sheep Mountain. Pasayten Wilderness - 3/5 July, 2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Paul M

Paul M
PostFri Jul 12, 2019 10:34 pm 
David D and I spent 3 days over the 4th holiday hiking in the Pasayten Wilderness. We came in and out via the Billy Goat Corral Trail Head and spent two nights at Larch Pass. Day two we climbed Sheep Mountain and Sand Ridge. On Day three we went South from Larch Pass on a scratch trail into the little basin below the Easter shoulder of Two Point Mountain. We used the faint scratch trail to get us up to the ridge crest then followed the ridge over the eastern summit point and then on to the true summit (class 2). From there we dropped to Dollar Pass and then went p Dollar Watch Mountain (a former fire Lookout). We had zero rain up to that point but the weather was changing so we started for the barn. Rain started as we left Dollar Watch Pass and we ended up walking out the final 11 miles in a steady rain that became a heavy down pour at times. The 2018 McLeod Fire was not kind to this region of the Pasayten. All of the passes we crossed thru were burnt, although we usually found stands of unburnt trees on the north side of each pass. Fire devastated the forest between Three Fools Pass, extending all the way up to Larch Pass (We stopped counting logs across the trail at >200 here). Fire also burnt in places up to tree line on Sheep Mountain. In some places where the fire quickly moved across the fields the wild flowers were abundant and very color full. Where the fire burned hotter in the forest there are places where all of the duff is burned off, leaving nothing but bare rocks and burnt sticks behind. Amazing. Once in the high meadow country the landscape is more normal looking. Some pictures follow. 43 miles and over 7K ft in 3 days.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostSat Jul 13, 2019 6:54 am 
Any problems following trails? I have many fond memories...sand ridge and the coyotes...and sheep mountain...always fascinated by the peaks out there..walk up one side and cliffs..oftentimes with a small lake on the othere. Did u go into whistle basin? Loved the report.

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostSat Jul 13, 2019 11:35 am 
Good effort in Pasayten country, and thanks for the post-fire trails report; always valuable in those parts agree.gif

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Jul 13, 2019 4:05 pm 
up.gif The morning of the fire / trail closures we were heading up to do a multi day backpack to Sheep we were that close but had put it off too long.😢

Living in the Anthropocene
Paul M

Paul M
PostMon Jul 15, 2019 9:34 am 
Sallie4jo wrote:
Any problems following trails?
No real problem following the trails. We did stop counting burnt log crossings for the whole trip after about 300 however frown.gif The section from Dollar Watch Pass back to Larch Creek was hit pretty hard also. I really wish they would allow horse packers to take chain saws into Wilderness Areas after these big fires to clear the trails. I suspect they would be happy to do it. Even if it was for a limited window to reopen the trails. Oh Well.

Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostMon Jul 22, 2019 12:51 pm 
Yes..and just means the wild can come back. Appears there is alot of focus on trying to get the boundary trail back after many years of letting it go... Appreciate!

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams