Forum Index > Trip Reports > Quite Possibly the Hike from Hell: Starfish Cove, 04.21.19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSun Jul 14, 2019 7:11 pm 
This is a long ass rocky slog in the heat, but the only reason I did it again after the brutal 2013 hike was because one of the members of my meetup wanted to do it as he hadn't been there before & thought it sounded interesting. I thought maybe it wouldn't be as strenuous as before b/c this time, although again it was a warm day, @ least we were just carrying day packs. Maybe it would feel easier & go faster. Nope. redface.gif shakehead.gif To make matters worse, the destination isn't much of a reward even though the map makes it look interesting - several canyons coming down in one spot & creating the appearance of a starfish - instead, you just wind up not in a peaceful valley w/views of all mouths of the canyons but in an area that seems to be a deposit for all the rocks that have tumbled down said canyons, interspersed w/vegetation here & there but not enough vegetation as to provide any shade. redface.gif The only thing that made this hike slightly worth the effort was finding that the sheep skull I'd discovered 6 yrs. earlier was still there. up.gif Thought maybe someone else would've found it & hauled it off by now, but given the unappealing nature of this hike I'm guessing it gets few visitors, fewer still that make it all the way to the cove, & fewer still that happen upon the exact spot of the skull. By the end of the hike all 3 of us were just about out of water & vowed "Never again!". RIP, Starfish Cove. Perhaps other suckers will visit, but not us! moon.gif @ the trailhead:
TH
TH
No dogs OR cats!
No dogs OR cats!
On the way in:
Elephant tree
Elephant tree
Elephant tree
Elephant tree
Rocky
Rocky
Elephant tree
Elephant tree
Elephant tree
Elephant tree
The skull:
Still here after 6 yrs.
Still here after 6 yrs.
Still here after 6 yrs.
Still here after 6 yrs.
After the hike:
Stats
Stats
Rt.
Rt.
Post-hike margs
Post-hike margs

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Jul 14, 2019 7:17 pm 
Bloated Chipmunk wrote:
By the end of the hike all 3 of us were just about out of water & vowed "Never again!".
😄 Every time I come down from a successful summit hike, I say the same thing! Then two or three days later, I think "that wasn't so bad".... 🤔 😄 And it starts all over again. Mt Baker is on the schedule for this coming weekend...

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Jul 14, 2019 7:33 pm 
where are the elephants? dizzy.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Jul 15, 2019 9:36 pm 
The margaritas look just as delicious, and well earned