Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Mastiff, Mount Howard lollipop - 14 Jul 2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Jul 15, 2019 10:26 pm 
I didn't feel well, so I needed a lollipop - I made myself a lollipop hike - Mount Mastiff - Mont Howard. Mount Howard is the highest mountain on Nason ridge. And Mount Mastiff sounds like a dog, so completes my mission of hiking every mountain with some dog related name. Ridge walk to Mastiff is really pleasant, except for a gendarmes/crux section right above Lost Lake where one need to use some brain/eyes to cross. Mastiff-Howard traverse is a steep bushwack (unless you are willing to drop all the way down to Canaan lake) and coming down SE ridge of Howard is both super bushy and super steep. Lake Crescent is an insane mosquito nesting place and Nason ridge trail is in good condition, though overgrown. Started from a completely empty parking lot and never seen anyone. According to summit register, mine was 4th visit this year to Mastiff and 3rd to Howard. Peaks probably also have some unrecorded winter accents too. It is probably much better in spring, if snow is stable and one can walk on snow instead of all the rock piles. Lots of pika, squirrels and chipmunks. The only price to pay - road is in really bad condition and my new car's paint is now already scratched by encroaching trees. But hey, this was bound to happen anyway.
14 miles r/t, ~6000 ft gain

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Jul 15, 2019 10:31 pm 
video addition:

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message