Forum Index > Trail Talk > whats your favorite new piece of gear for 2019?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikestofish

hikestofish
PostSun Jul 14, 2019 11:11 am 
Since we are well into the season i was just curious if anyone wanted to talk about any new gear they added to their setups this season. For me i added a helinox chair zero. My wife got it for me as a birthday gift. I wasn't sure i would like it at first, being Its a bit heavy at 1lb and i can always find a log or rock that i can use to sit on at camp. But i absolutely love it so nice to have a comfy chair to enjoy my morning coffee in vs a lumpy rock. It will be coming with my on most of my trips. 100 stars Runner up: i replaced my flip-flops with a cheap pair of water shoes from amazon. They are fantastic for fishing and around camp. They also work well with socks (don't have to do the whole toe wedgie thing) and lighter than the flippy floppy's 10/10 What about the rest of y'all?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostSun Jul 14, 2019 11:20 am 
Definitely my sleep system. Thermarest uberlight pad/vesper 32 quilt. Barely pushes 2 pounds and packs small and light enough to fit in a 15 liter running vest for fast packing. Been great all around on 10 nights total so far.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Jul 14, 2019 11:51 am 
I bought an Osprey Levity 45 last Fall and used it for the first time backpacking and scrambling the ridge on and off trail it carried well and the airscape suspension kept my back cool.
I bought an Osprey Levity 45 last Fall and used it for the first time backpacking and scrambling the ridge on and off trail it carried well and the airscape suspension kept my back cool.
Just did a trip in the Goat Rocks and used my Levity 45 backpack for the first time very comfortable and loved the back ventilation.

Living in the Anthropocene
hikestofish

hikestofish
PostSun Jul 14, 2019 12:36 pm 
Quote:
Definitely my sleep system. Thermarest uberlight pad/vesper 32 quilt. Barely pushes 2 pounds and packs small and light enough to fit in a 15 liter running vest for fast packing. Been great all around on 10 nights total so far.
What running vest are you using?

neek

neek
PostSun Jul 14, 2019 2:26 pm 
No competition. I finally broke down and bought the $37 underwear at REI. You may chafe at the idea of spending so much on such a small item, but I promise, they're worth every penny. Infinitely better than duct tape. Went back for another pair after I saw the light.

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostSun Jul 14, 2019 4:08 pm 
I have a new headlamp that is super small and lightweight and LED and it kicks out a powerful beam. Replaced my trusty Black Diamond headlamp, which seems old and heavy now. Probably weighs less than half of the old one. Not as durable, but that's ok.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSun Jul 14, 2019 4:56 pm 
A tie between: -- My homemade gravity filter, consisting of a super light one gallon bag attached to my Sawyer Squeeze (not the mini!) filter with (no-so-light) 1/4" vinyl tubing: 2 quarts filtered in 90 seconds with no squeezing! [7/31/2019 correction: retimed this and it took 2 m 19s, so not quite the 90 seconds I was bragging about!] -- My new Soto Windmaster stove. Very wind resistant (and therefore less heat loss in wind) and it actually has a nice flat top surface that my pots don't slip around on! (Backpacking with my sons last summer, we had a large pot of food slip right off my MSR Micro Rocket (a good stove, but no so good pot supports)

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSun Jul 14, 2019 4:57 pm 
rbuzby wrote:
I have a new headlamp that is super small and lightweight and LED and it kicks out a powerful beam.
Do you recall the name of it?

Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostSun Jul 14, 2019 6:58 pm 
hikestofish wrote:
Quote:
What running vest are you using?
Black diamond distance 15. I carried a six moon lunar solo tent, my sleep system and 3 days worth of food circumnavigating mt. Daniel last week. Maybe 8 lbs total and still minimal pack bounce when running.

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostMon Jul 15, 2019 6:33 am 
Quote:
Do you recall the name of it?
Cheap but bright. Has an option for red light, and two brightness options, and a strobe option. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GTNLQN9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Windstorm

Windstorm
PostMon Jul 15, 2019 10:37 am 
Navy salad wrote:
-- My homemade gravity filter, consisting of a super light one gallon bag attached to my Sawyer Squeeze (not the mini!) filter with (no-so-light) 1/4" vinyl tubing: 2 quarts filtered in 90 seconds with no squeezing!
I'm looking to modify my filter system. What kind of one gallon bag are you using?

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Jul 16, 2019 12:00 pm 
Windstorm wrote:
What kind of one gallon bag are you using?
The gallon+ size version of these. They came in a set of 3 for $10. The largest of them is a little over a gallon and weighs 1.0 ounce, medium holds about 3.5 quarts and weighs 0.9 ounce, small is quite a bit smaller, like less than a quart. Note that the picture on the web site isn't very accurate since the two largest bags are close in size and the small much smaller. They're advertised as "water resistant", but they have fully taped seams and mine doesn't leak at all (although even if it did leak a little, it wouldn't be big deal). You can get the components pretty cheap here, including a decent filter, but the bag included in this kit doesn't work very well (hard to fill). Note that I didn't order this kit, since I already had most of what I needed, but this is what I would have used if I didn't. Note that the Hydroblu filter seems to have good reviews.