Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostFri Jun 28, 2019 12:34 pm 
Caroline Lake, Monday, June 24 My youngest daughter and I hiked to Caroline Lake via the Eightmile Creek and Trout Lake Trails on Monday. We got a late start, and didn't get to the Eightmile Trailhead until noon. The Eightmile Trail is in great shape--just a few muddy spots and one blowdown to step over. The bugs weren't bad on the way up. There were a few at Little Eightmile Lake, but nothing to complain about. The climb from Little Eightmile to Lake Caroline is as steep as it looks on the map, and it's a South facing slope. I was glad it was June and not August, and thankful for a few clouds and a nice breeze to help keep us cool. The wildflowers and views made the hot climb more than worthwhile, though. The flowers are really popping right now. I don't recall seeing so many kinds of wild flowers on one hike in the Alpine Lakes. We saw two different kinds of wild roses. Lake Caroline is a gorgeous lake. My daughter was pretty beat by the time we got to the lake, so we had lunch on a rocky plateau on the North side of the lake and then headed home. I'll definitely be back to see Little Caroline though. The bugs got progressively worse on the way down to Little Eightmile, and peaked around that lake. They were significantly worse than they were on the way up, but still not that bad. It was a great trip. I've got some pictures, but I need to get set up so I can share photos here. None for this trip report.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Jun 29, 2019 12:40 am 
Got up to cooper couple days back. Little overnight type deal. Got to the trailhead saturday bout 3pm but party members were sleeping in the cars till about 3:45 so didn't start eatin' ground till 4 or whatever. Couple mountain houses apiece. Several beers. You could hear wrappers crinkling from the tents after bed time. Ended up seein' 1 or 2am myself. Next day everyone emerged from tents at various times, sat around in the campsite making mountain houses till last party member finally stepped out about 4pm and had their mountain house. Rick had a cig then it was time to start hanging out for the day but then I pushed to pack up. Gettin' late! Huck back down. Leisurely pace. Got the car around 7. Hit Zeke's HARD. Everyone got a heavy bag, some went multiple burgers. Think we did about 8 miles and 2k on the weekend so guys were famished.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jul 01, 2019 8:17 pm 
Little Caroline lake.
Little Caroline lake
Little Caroline lake

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Jul 09, 2019 11:44 am 
Quote:
The trail hasn’t been maintained lately, but goes through some scenic terrain to a pretty lake near the PCT. No mosquitos at the lake yet, but pretty annoying on the way back down at the end of the day.
We backpacked to Top Lake a couple years ago in a (successful) attempt at solitude. The green valley along the trail on the way in--you show a view of it though in person it is more dramatic--is so impressive. It seemed like the greenest place I'd ever seen.

kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Jul 09, 2019 11:51 am 
Spent the long holiday weekend in the eastern Okanogan. Longer hikes were curtailed by thunderstorms, so we ended up doing more back road exploring than hiking. Some of the views reminded me of Vermont--similar shape mountains, and granite--except for pines/firs instead of hardwoods. Pipsessewa Trail, from the Bonaparte Lake Campground. A 4 mile RT hike to a view. The campground was full but not a single person was on the trail.
Tunk Mountain Lookout, and view from. It's a long drive up to this (staffed) lookout. Our crossover did fine though it was slow going at the end.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostTue Jul 09, 2019 8:59 pm 
Rainy Lake (the Middle Fork Snoqualmie one) 7/9/2019 This really was a tough one. Trail not too hard too follow. There are rip huckleberries around 2000' elevation. Saw a black bear right along the trail eating them. Ran into each other again on the way down. The creek noise masked my approach so we ended up scaring the chit out each other. Twice. I clocked 7.5 miles using Gaia Earth. 5 hours round trip.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Jul 10, 2019 7:56 am 
After hiking in the Swiss Alps for a week, I was desperate for an alpine meadow fix. The Cady Ridge Trail up to Lake Sally Ann on the PCT came to mind and was the perfect solution. It was a good workout at 14 miles round trip, but the cool temps made for pleasant travel. Still a few minor snow patches and a ways to go before peak wildflower season, but no bugs!
Cady Ridge Trail 7/5/19
Cady Ridge Trail 7/5/19
Cady Ridge Trail 7/5/19
Cady Ridge Trail 7/5/19
Cady Ridge Trail 7/5/19
Cady Ridge Trail 7/5/19
Cady Ridge Trail 7/5/19
Cady Ridge Trail 7/5/19
Cady Ridge Trail 7/5/19
Cady Ridge Trail 7/5/19
Lake Sally Ann 7/5/19
Lake Sally Ann 7/5/19
Lake Sally Ann 7/5/19
Lake Sally Ann 7/5/19
Lake Sally Ann 7/5/19
Lake Sally Ann 7/5/19
Lake Sally Ann 7/5/19
Lake Sally Ann 7/5/19
Lake Sally Ann 7/5/19
Lake Sally Ann 7/5/19
Cady Ridge Trail 7/5/19
Cady Ridge Trail 7/5/19
Cady Ridge Trail 7/5/19
Cady Ridge Trail 7/5/19
Two people camped at the lake and met a thru hiking pair coming down from Canada who said snow travel wasn't a problem because there was a bootpath to follow.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostThu Jul 11, 2019 5:23 am 
Had a great hike in the Chiwaukums last week. Never saw another person, there were a few bugs but not enough to put spray on. It's pleasant to find a hike where LNT can be practiced even by the animals.

slave524

slave524
PostTue Jul 16, 2019 2:04 pm 
I've been up to Enjar several times but have always wanted to check out the Cascade River Rd side of the Snowking mountain area. I was always intimidated due to the steepness of the trail and my overall fitness or lack thereof. I'm glad I finally went and checked it out, but 'the steeps' whooped me hard. LOL Sad to say I didn't make it all the way up, but at least I know now what I need to do to make it up there... IDK what people are going to do once the bridge completely falls down. That is a pretty steep ravine...
Kindy route, Snowking
Kindy route, Snowking
Kindy Route, Snowking
Kindy Route, Snowking
Kindy Route, Snowking
Kindy Route, Snowking

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostTue Jul 16, 2019 3:30 pm 
Hey slave, how much road walk is involved before you get to the 'trail'? Thanks!

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostTue Jul 16, 2019 6:02 pm 
Thanks for the report slave524, always wanted to check out that side of Snowking. Hey your name wouldn't happen to be Gene or Dean would it?

SultanHiker

SultanHiker
PostTue Jul 16, 2019 10:10 pm 
Gunn, Gunnshy, Tailgunner = Day 1 (7/12/19) Wing, Pt 5760 = Day 2 (7/13/19) 1 Bear below Tailgunner to the NW. 4 Goats with babies on Wing. Explored the 1953 plane crash debris fully (below Wing).

slave524

slave524
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 8:10 am 
flatsqwerl wrote:
Hey slave, how much road walk is involved before you get to the 'trail'? Thanks!
3 easy miles. There is a blown out creek bed and the partially collapsed bridge but both were still easy to cross

slave524

slave524
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 8:12 am 
Jake Robinson wrote:
Hey your name wouldn't happen to be Gene or Dean would it?
Ha! No, but I love Ween and my username refers to my GWAR fanclub number biggrin.gif

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Aug 01, 2019 3:35 pm 
I made it up here once before, but it was a gloomy day. It looks much nicer w/ some sunshine. My buddy hadn't been up there before. Several other parties out midweek on the PCT but once we left it we were entirely alone. Bugs were slightly annoying. Lots of flowers out, meadows are looking lovely. Only a little bit of snow encountered, no obstacle at all.