Forum Index > Trail Talk > Duckabush River ford (ONP)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RAW-dad

RAW-dad
PostFri Jul 05, 2019 4:17 pm 
Any recent info on the Duckabush R ford below Marmot Lake? If so, info on depth & flow rate, time of day, prior weather, etc would be much appreciated!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jul 06, 2019 12:27 am 
USGS gaging station for Duckabush River near Brinnon, Wa I have NO idea what's going on there on the east side of the Peninsula. The little orange triangles on the graph represent the median flow recorded over the last 81 years. As should be clearly evident from the graph, streamflow levels are currently quite low. (The entire Chehalis River and all its tributaries were just closed to all sport fishing by WDFW because of low water flows.)
W.B., Olympic National Park, in an email of 06/25/19 wrote:
"... At best, this still puts the Olympic snow pack at around 53% of normal. So certainly one of the lowest years in the last decade...."
Only way to know for sure, of course, is to actually be on the ground standing next to the river at the location of the ford.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
ForbinsAscent

ForbinsAscent
PostSat Jul 06, 2019 9:15 am 
All around the Oly Peninsula rivers systems are near record lows for this time of year, even with the small amount of rain we had in the last week or so. The Calawah River, which goes through Forks is at a record low right now. The Queets is around 600 CFS right now, which is quite low. So...this opens up some options for hikes that usually have to wait until late August or September.

RodF

RodF
PostSat Jul 06, 2019 1:36 pm 
Ski wrote:
USGS gaging station for Duckabush River near Brinnon, Wa As should be clearly evident from the graph, streamflow levels are currently quite low.
The current flow has dropped over the last month to about 1/3 of normal for this date. It's now typical of early September, when the ford is about knee deep. The footing in this ford is rather poor. It's a jumble of large slick rocks. (This ford is one of the few I find it worth packing in lightweight tennis shoes or similar, and hiking poles.)

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
RAW-dad

RAW-dad
PostMon Jul 15, 2019 4:59 pm 
RodF wrote:
It's now typical of early September, when the ford is about knee deep
So just an update on the upper Duckabush ford, which we did twice a few days back. It is not even knee deep! smile.gif Very low flow year indeed.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Jul 16, 2019 10:42 am 
RAW-dad wrote:
It is not even knee deep! smile.gif
Thanks for the info. My wife and I are headed that way soon and she was concerned with that Ford. Sounds like she doesn't need to lose any sleep worrying about it...but she will anyway. wink.gif

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Ravenridge22

Ravenridge22
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 12:56 am 
I've been through the Duckabush Ford below Marmot Lake 4 times in the last 2 years. For me, the hazard is not the water depth or lack there of, but the slimy rocks that RodF mentions. A lot of the rocks are submerged most of the year, making them slick the instant they're touched by a wet boot. I slipped and fell on the east side before I crossed the first time, though luckily was not injured because I had dropped my pack to scout the route. It's worth being very cautious.