Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tricouni Pk 7/12-13
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun Jul 14, 2019 6:05 pm 
Tricouni Pk 8102' Last year in May 2018, I had tried to climb Tricouni from Thunder Creek but was stopped by the bridge being washed out at McAllister. A couple of hours were spent looking for a way to cross the creek but in early season, there was none. Thanks to the recent TR from trailcat, there was now a way to get across. There is a log jam 1/4 mile up from the old bridge that goes most of the way across. I looked at it the year before but the spot where there were no logs was still too deep. Fast forward to July 12/13 My oldest son, Jayden, my sister-in-law Tei Tei, and I headed out Friday afternoon to give Tricouni a try. We barely made it to Marblemount in time to get a permit (couple minutes late but the door wasn't yet locked) and still got one. I saw John P in line getting one, too. We started hiking the Thunder Creek trail around 5pm with the hopes of getting past the log jam for camp. The trail is in great shape and even saw a bear! We made good time to the log jam and then things came to a big slowdown. There were many logs, several years worth and getting half way across was easy. We then tried other options that ended in dead ends. Jayden found a way to the little island in the middle of the roaring, cold creek. It was then a shallow 20' crossing to the final log to the other side of the creek.
Tei Tei and Jayden on one of the logs
Tei Tei and Jayden on one of the logs
It was then a small bushwhack back towards the old McAllister camp where we would set camp just before dark. We cooked dinner and soon went to sleep. We were off and hiking a little after 6am up the steep climbers trail towards Tricouni. I had let both Jayden and Tei Tei what they were getting into when I said steep, they were prepared and made a good pace up the steep ridge. The mosquitos were horrible about half way up to the glacier and followed us to that point. We must have donated enough blood for future mosquito generations. We reached Borealis Lake/glacier where Jayden and Tei Tei would stop and take a well deserved break.
time for a water break
time for a water break
I continued up the slabs towards the upper Borealis glacier. the ups and downs took much longer than I remembered from my Primus climb 9 yrs ago. This time there was much less snow. Once on the glacier, the traverse over to Lucky pass went smooth. I did poke and open a couple small crevasses with my hiking pole.
Borealis glacier and lake
Borealis glacier and lake
Tricouni
Tricouni
At the pass, I started up a steep snow finger for about 300' before exiting climbers left. From there, it was easy but sometimes loose scrambling to the summit. Clouds were going in and out but mostly surrounding the higher peaks. After much searching, I found the register and signed in.
Klawatti and N Klawatti glaciers
Klawatti and N Klawatti glaciers
Klawatti and Eldorado Pks
Klawatti and Eldorado Pks
register
register
register
register
register
register
register
register
I headed back down and front pointed most of the snow. I made it back down to Jayden and Tei Tei, who were now well rested and hydrated.
Tricouni and the snow couloir
Tricouni and the snow couloir
Borealis lake and Fisher Creek valley
Borealis lake and Fisher Creek valley
glacier
glacier
lake
lake
tarn and clouds
tarn and clouds
We left and started down the ridge and soon ran into John P heading up. He was planning on climbing Tricouni that day, too. According to the summit register, it was last signed on July 13th, 2018. So on July 13th 2019, there would be 2 new entries. Must be a popular day to climb it.
Jayden heading down
Jayden heading down
Tei Tei leaving the alpine
Tei Tei leaving the alpine
We made the steep descent and packed up camp with the hopes of hiking out before sunset. The log crossing went much better since we now knew the best ways to go. The hike out was uneventful with new goal of getting back early enough to grab dinner in Marblemount.
Jayden and the small wet crossing
Jayden and the small wet crossing
Tei Tei on more logs
Tei Tei on more logs
We drove to Marblemount and made it just in time to Mondos before the kitchen closed. It was so nice to have dinner before the long drive home. Much thanks for Tei Tei and Jayden going on this trip with me, not many people are up for a steep hike in this corner of the cascades! 25 miles 8400' gain

Eric Eames
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSun Jul 14, 2019 9:00 pm 
Only 3 to go! How exciting. Any idea where you might finish? Thanks for the register photos. smile.gif

Alden Ryno

Alden Ryno
PostMon Jul 15, 2019 5:04 am 
Thank you for the report! You mentioned the TR by trailcat detailing the crossing of Thunder Creek, but this is the first I've seen it mentioned (apologies, trailcat); though I hadn't really looked for a TR on a way to cross. I'm glad that y'all had a successful trip(!) and to see that there's a relatively easy way to cross Thunder Creek, for now.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostMon Jul 15, 2019 7:26 am 
Very cool; way to figure out the Thunder creek conundrum. Too bad the NCNP isn’t gonna resurrect that camp and fix the bridge (no money I guess)

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Jul 15, 2019 7:44 pm 
Gimpilator wrote:
Only 3 to go! How exciting. Any idea where you might finish? Thanks for the register photos. smile.gif
It all depends on if the weather eventually cooperates and if I can get into the pickets for a couple tough ones. If I can, then devils tongue could be the last one since it can be done later in the season.

Eric Eames
iron

iron
PostMon Jul 15, 2019 9:12 pm 
raising3hikers wrote:
Tricouni
Tricouni
crazy. when we went up at same time of year in 2013, we headed up that icefall (covered with snow). now? NFW.
iron wrote:
=view from top
cartman wrote:
Glacial Lake below Lucky Pass
Glacial Lake below Lucky Pass
=view from below

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jul 16, 2019 8:23 am 
cascadetraverser wrote:
Too bad the NCNP isn’t gonna resurrect that camp and fix the bridge (no money I guess)
I talked to a Ranger back in May that was scouting the area looking for cedar logs to use for a bridge repair. I forgot to ask for specifics, but based on the area he was in I can't imagine what other bridge it would've been for.

silence

silence
PostTue Jul 16, 2019 10:51 am 
So beautiful up there .... love your photos! Great report.

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Jul 16, 2019 11:49 am 
raising3hikers wrote:
Much thanks for Tei Tei and Jayden going on this trip with me, not many people are up for a steep hike in this corner of the cascades!
Not many people are up for steep hike in ANY corner of the cascades with speed demon raising3hikers!

Art is an adventure.
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Jul 16, 2019 10:39 pm 
Congratulations and a nice way to involve your family. On our traverse we skipped Tricouni in our eagerness to get out. I didn't realize that the bridge near McAllister Creek has washed out. It was a beauty, and that must have been quite the flood that took it out. I see online that it was in 2018 -- I track big rain events but don't remember a big storm in 2018.
August, 2012
August, 2012

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostTue Jul 16, 2019 11:28 pm 
OTIUTB: I hope you are right and they rebuild the bridge; that was the plan apparently when I called the NCNP service in winter asking them if and when the bridge would be fixed. They said that was the plan and it was just a matter of when....when I did a follow up call in early May I was told that they were not going to rebuild it and were planning on moving the camp elsewhere. Who knows, maybe they gave me the wrong info. I like that camp an would love to access that area for ski traversing.

geyer

geyer
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 8:35 am 
puzzlr wrote:
I didn't realize that the bridge near McAllister Creek has washed out. It was a beauty, and that must have been quite the flood that took it out. I see online that it was in 2018 -- I track big rain events but don't remember a big storm in 2018.
puzzlr, when I was researching the inspiration traverse in spring 2018, the bridge was already washed out and various sources told me the washout happened in fall 2017.

b00

b00
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 12:14 pm 
raising3hikers wrote:
The mosquitos were horrible about half way up to the glacier and followed us to that point. We must have donated enough blood for future mosquito generations.
on our trip up primus in june 2009, when iron was at the harborview b&b, mcallister ridge was so pleasant because we had a sunshade provided by the swarms of mosquitoes. i vividly remember looking over at handy's back of what was supposed to be a blue shirt, when he took off his backpack, and i could not see any blue. just the black of the mosquitoes enjoying thanksgiving in june. i could of sworn i had a photo, but it on reflection, i probably was unwilling to even pause to get out the camera while under a full attack. :>) ps - awesome job! your sister in law and jayden did an amazing getting across the creek and all the way up that ridge! congrats :>)

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 1:23 pm 
cascadetraverser wrote:
OTIUTB: I hope you are right and they rebuild the bridge; that was the plan apparently when I called the NCNP service in winter asking them if and when the bridge would be fixed. They said that was the plan and it was just a matter of when....when I did a follow up call in early May I was told that they were not going to rebuild it and were planning on moving the camp elsewhere. Who knows, maybe they gave me the wrong info. I like that camp an would love to access that area for ski traversing.
The Ranger cruised past me, we only talked briefly. I caught up to him later where he had dropped his pack and officially began searching. It wasn't too far after that to the short spur to the former bridge site. I'm making an assumption but it makes sense. It was quite a bit further to the next large bridge (Fisher Creek I think?), and that didn't appear damaged at all.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 3:56 pm 
So I called Marblemount today and the ranger I spoke with was hesitant to give me a firm answer but said right now they are not planning to rebuild the bridge but it sounds like perhaps that may change...