Forum Index > Trip Reports > 7 Teanaway peaks 2019-07-16
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
neek

neek
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 12:42 pm 
It's a wet week in the Cascades, but Tuesday looked decent in the Teanaway, so I decided to spend the day hitting some of the high points there. Summit views were OK, but flowers stole the show and begged for close-up photography. The peaks are well-documented so I'll be brief with words and heavy with eye candy.
Route
Route
After a jarring drive (clearance recommended) I started up the Beverly Turnpike trail and turned left at all junctions to hit up Iron Peak. Saw rain to the south and hoped the day wouldn't be ruined by it. Met a couple of fellows up there but that was the only encounter with large mammals aside from one more human at the very end.
Next up was Teanaway Peak, a quick scramble to the north of Iron. I went up nice solid rock and came down on looser stuff.
Ingalls
Ingalls
Stuart
Stuart
The shortest path from Teanaway to Bills Peak is a bit rough, so I dropped back down the trail and headed up the Fourth Creek trail to take the standard SE approach. It rained a bit at the top but it didn't last long, and the moisture brightened up the landscape for the rest of the day.
Bills Peak from the Iron-Teanaway saddle
Bills Peak from the Iron-Teanaway saddle
Elephant's head
Elephant's head
After Bills came Marys Peak (I guess apostrophes are generally not used in peak names), a long easy ridge from the high point of the Fourth Creek trail.
I skipped smaller Judis Peak for some reason and went straight to Bean Peak next, dropping to the S rather than trying to maintain the rocky ridge. The basin to the S of Bean is really neat, and it's an easy hop up big orange talus to get to the top.
Ridge connecting to Bean
Ridge connecting to Bean
Traversing around cliffs S of the ridge
Traversing around cliffs S of the ridge
Heading directly up the south side of Bean
Heading directly up the south side of Bean
Bean was the only repeat for me so I didn't linger but headed N to Volcanic Neck. I hadn't researched this one and didn't know how easy it would be. Supposedly it's 3rd class on both the S and the N but I went around to the SW and ended up on some exposed but solid 4th class. It worked out OK as there was an easy gully to descent on the N.
Heading toward Volcanic Neck
Heading toward Volcanic Neck
Nearing the summit
Nearing the summit
After that was Devils Head (6666', get it?), a stroll across multi-colored volcanic terrain.
My original plan called for Earl next, but I ended up not having enough energy or time. I dropped SE of Volcanic Neck to avoid climbing over it again and contoured across loose rock to just east of Bean. Climbed over the ridge and was soon on the Bean Creek trail. Down in the meadow was the best flower display of all and I was sad to have to leave, especially since there were no bugs.
17 mi, 7600' gain

zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 4:20 pm 
up.gif Peakbagger's paradise. Nice collection of wildflowers. I've spent a fair bit of time in the Teanaway and some of those I'm not sure I've ever encountered. I like the stonecrop. So strange looking.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 8:37 pm 
So easy to link up peaks out there! Nice loop! I loved that traverse from Bean to Mary's. Great scrambling. up.gif up.gif

Bob2005

Bob2005
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 8:57 pm 
More beauty than I could hope for! Thanks

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 9:00 pm 
I love your flower shots Nick, thanks for sharing up.gif

JimK

JimK
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 9:28 pm 
Nice report. Some excellent photos. I did your basic route on Saturday without the extra summits. Just Iron and Bean. It was "only" 12 miles with 4400' of gain. You had a lot more elevation gain. I spent the extra time enjoying all the wildflowers. Beverly had the best wildflower display I have seen there. Here are a few of mine to add to yours.
Columbine
Columbine
Stonecrop Gilia
Stonecrop Gilia
Shooting Star
Shooting Star
Red Paintbrush
Red Paintbrush
Columbia Lewisia
Columbia Lewisia
Stuart Range
Stuart Range