Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lemah Mtn 7-13-19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostMon Jul 15, 2019 8:16 pm 
The forcast for saturday looked most promising on the east side so off to Lemah we headed! I recruited my buddy Bryan for the ensuing journey. I'd been wanting to get up to this gnarly little beast for awhile and I knew it was gonna be a long day lol! The Smoot guide deceived me a little into thinking it might just be a little 16 mile jaunt! lol.gif The track I had (Scott Rice) from peakbagger had it more at the 23 mile mark, anything over 20 miles is gonna be a long damn day for me! lol.gif We arrived at the pete lake th and it was packed. We started hiking around 6am. We made it past the lake joined the PCT and walked south to the washed out bridge at Lemah creek. Probably around 7 miles or so.(from the car) From the washout we paralleled the creek up to the alpine where it gets pretty awesome, not to mention we didnt see another person past this point!!! The bush wasnt too thick through here, always easy to find gametrails. We followed pleasant slabs aways up til we found a nice little perch overlooking the valley/meadow and our objective, LEMAH!! eek.gif Wow, this is one of the most beautiful valleys I've encountered! The waterfall at the head of the valley was sweet too! We planned to go up the snow filled gully and I thought it might be a little worse than it was, its kinda an intimidating looking mountain from down there.
the slabs takin us upward
the slabs takin us upward
one of many waterfalls
one of many waterfalls
ohhh damnnnnn!!!
ohhh damnnnnn!!!
cool memorial found
cool memorial found
pristineness
pristineness
After resting/eating at the perch we mustered up some courage and made our way through the meadow and up towards our gully. At the end of the meadow there is some bushwhacking to be had but it doesnt last too long. The closer we got the less steep the snow looked, thank god! I'm not a big fan of large steep snowslopes. Before we knew it we were at the snow, this is where Bryan decided to call it a day. It was a slog to get to this point and I was envious of his decision to chill here in this amazing place, lol! I put the crampons on and donned the axe and headed upwards. Clouds started to pour in overhead towards the summits as I departed Bryan, making me almost want to bail. I topped out in the gully in 40mins, the route follows the path of least resistance. None of the snow in the gully was ever too steep, the snow on the leftward traverse wasn't ever too bad either. I made it to the little bowl between Lemah 2 and 3 pretty quick. The clouds were hovering around the 7000ft mark, I was happy it wasnt a complete whiteout. I was definitely feeling the fatigue at this point!
nice waterfall at the end of meadow
nice waterfall at the end of meadow
gully
gully
lookin back down valley
lookin back down valley
gettin higher
gettin higher
up in the gully proper
up in the gully proper
clouds coming
clouds coming
topped out in gully, go left up slabs
topped out in gully, go left up slabs
starting traverse
starting traverse
three queens
three queens
The route looked pretty gnarly and I started my way up the steep snow to the cliffband. Once on the rock it was some fun class 3/4 climbing! rocker.gif I made it to the upper snowpatch and then made my way towards the ridge which had some more fun scrambling!! There were no moat issues. Unfortunately the top was socked in and rather chilly, the time was 330pm 9.5hrs from the car! Whiskey was had, 20min power nap, register acquired, then the hasty retreat below the clouds! I was so stoked to push on and bag this beautiful mountain! What a day to be alive! cheers.gif I casually made my way down soaking in all the glory this place has to offer. When I made it back to Bryan he was covered in clothes from head to toe trying to avoid the onslaught of mosquitoes, lol! All in all it was one long ass day but soooo worth it, you know I'll be back! We made it back to the car around 1am, partly due to me having to take a nap in the bushes 4 miles from car. moon.gif Cheers friends!!
cliffband class 3/4 sweetness
cliffband class 3/4 sweetness
lookin down towards approach, pete and cooper lakes
lookin down towards approach, pete and cooper lakes
on the slabs with goat overhead
on the slabs with goat overhead
reg
reg
getting below the clouds
getting below the clouds
Spectacle lake way down there
Spectacle lake way down there
Awesomeness
Awesomeness
until nextime
until nextime

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Jul 15, 2019 8:42 pm 
ozzy wrote:
up.gif up.gif up.gif biggrin.gif

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostMon Jul 15, 2019 9:09 pm 
Thanks for the report. Love the Lemahs. "having to take a nap in the bushes 4 miles from car": magnificent.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Jul 15, 2019 9:31 pm 
ozzy wrote:
Cool. Not too many ascents in recent years, assuming you took photos of recent pages and most parties are signing. I've always wanted to go up that route you took. The waterfall is mythical. Maybe when I finally get back to get Lemah 2, 4 and 5

geyer

geyer
PostMon Jul 15, 2019 9:57 pm 
Nice work! Looks like you had pretty good climbing conditions! Hah your pictures made me realize I never wrote the date when I signed the register bricks.gif guess I had other things on my mind...

mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostMon Jul 15, 2019 11:31 pm 
Always enjoy an Ozzy report. Thanks.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
General ****

General ****
PostTue Jul 16, 2019 8:48 am 
Ozzy, I just saw your logo photo for the first time, The Hard Way... 75th Rangers.... "Rangers Lead The Way". Nice trip report, thanks.

The General primarily backpacks solo.
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostTue Jul 16, 2019 4:24 pm 
lopper wrote:
having to take a nap in the bushes 4 miles from car": magnificent.
Lol yea im not in peak form like allota the badasses on here! dizzy.gif

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostTue Jul 16, 2019 4:27 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
Cool. Not too many ascents in recent years, assuming you took photos of recent pages and most parties are signing
Yea Puzzlr I was surprised at the low amount of registers, I thought it definitely got more attention!

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostTue Jul 16, 2019 4:29 pm 
eek.gif Geyer your TR had me kinda nervous for sure, conditions permitted a safer passage though! up.gif Pretty fun little route.

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostTue Jul 16, 2019 4:32 pm 
General **** wrote:
"Rangers Lead The Way".
All The Way!! Cheers General!! rocker.gif

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 11:13 am 
Lemah is one of my all time favorite climbs. Excellent job dude!

contour5

contour5
PostThu Jul 18, 2019 5:35 pm 
Great stuff! I need to get up there for a bit of wandering...