Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mesahchie & Katsuk - Revenge on Ragged Ridge 7/13/19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 9:47 pm 
Mesahchie and Katsuk - Video by Adam Walker
My very first trip to the North Cascades was to Ragged Ridge in 2016. I picked it because I love scrambling and Ragged Ridge is like, all scrambling. I got more than I bargained for, and my footwear choice left me with painful blisters with all the side hilling. I was going for all 4 Ragged Ridge peaks but only ended up getting Kimtah. The trip kicked my ass. It remains the worst I've ever felt after a trip. I was a little nervous when Adam invited me to join him and Chandler on a trip to Mesahchie, a peak Adam has been after for some time, but I was also eager to get revenge on Ragged Ridge and bag a couple peaks I had left behind. We considered the east ridge via Kitling, but ended up deciding on the standard high traverse. We met at the trailhead in the wee hours of the morning and were on the trail by 4am. The trail went easy for the first few miles and soon we had views of Graybeard, Honeymoon Hump, and some mild dawn and sunrise colors. We got to Easy Pass right around sunrise, welcomed by alpenglow on Arches and Fisher, and some nice colors out towards Logan. We took a break here for a few minutes to eat some food and take in the sights. As the alpenglow began to fade we noticed clouds materialize right before our eyes. They didn't blow in from anywhere they literally began to form right in front of us. It was pretty cool. Soon we departed and headed off trail for the traverse. Since I had been there before I led the way.
Dawn
Dawn
Chandler on the trail to Easy Pass
Chandler on the trail to Easy Pass
Sunrise
Sunrise
Nearing Easy Pass with Arches alpenglow
Nearing Easy Pass with Arches alpenglow
Logan and the boys
Logan and the boys
Fisher Creek Basin
Fisher Creek Basin
Easy pass panorama at dawn
Easy pass panorama at dawn
This is where the trail ends - Mesahchie looms
This is where the trail ends - Mesahchie looms
I mostly used route finding on the traverse, but Adam had my back with GPS track checks. I stayed "on track" pretty easily and before we knew it we were half way across. We were making great time! We stayed around 6400 ft on the traverse, but ascended to 6550 for the final waterfall crossing which I remembered from last time. Slight descent back to ~6400 after that, then a final uphill section up and over to reach the basin commonly used as a camp site. Nostalgia poured over me as we reached the basin. I had spend two memorable nights here a few years ago and it felt like a home coming being back here again. Plus, we totally crushed the traverse! 3 1/2 hours from the car! It took me 4 1/2 when I did it in '16 albeit with an overnight pack but we were feeling pretty good about our pace. We took another break here to eat and fill up on water before heading up to gain the ridge that would lead us to the saddle between Katsuk and Mesahchie.
Starting out on the traverse
Starting out on the traverse
Tiny waterfall
Tiny waterfall
Traversing
Traversing
More traverse
More traverse
Chandler at the final waterfall along the traverse
Chandler at the final waterfall along the traverse
Filling up on water at the camp basin
Filling up on water at the camp basin
A cornice blocked the usual ramp to the ridge so we went slightly climber's right to gain the ridge. Once on the ridge we took some time to admire the views. We didn't know it, but Alden Ryno was RIGHT THERE packing up his stuff. We didn't even see him, but I can pick him out in several pictures I took. The views were incredible with peaks jutting out above the clouds and playing peek a boo through the swirling mist. Chandler was particularly stoked. He said he had never been this deep in the mountains this early in the morning and it definitely left an impression. We were all feeling good. Stoke was high and the fun part was just about to begin! We hiked up the ridge with the terrain gradually steepening as we ascended until we reached a blocky gully. This was where I had bailed in 2016 due to blister pain and not having fun anymore years ago. I was having fun this time. Chandler and I took a class 4 route up the right side of the gully, while Adam found a class 3 route which went up the center then the left side of the gully, then crossed back over to the right. Once above we traversed over to the summit block of Mesahchie.
Chandler ascending out of the camp basin
Chandler ascending out of the camp basin
I love Ragged Ridge
I love Ragged Ridge
Chandler - the stoke is high!  1000 bonus points if you can spot Alden Ryno
Chandler - the stoke is high! 1000 bonus points if you can spot Alden Ryno
Arches
Arches
Scoping out the start of the scrambling
Scoping out the start of the scrambling
Adam where the gully narrows
Adam where the gully narrows
Adam on the class 3/4 section
Adam on the class 3/4 section
Adam searching for a hold
Adam searching for a hold
Scramblin' w/ Logan as a backdrop - life is good
Scramblin' w/ Logan as a backdrop - life is good
Views are good though
Views are good though
Scrambling a big 'ol pile 'o choss
Scrambling a big 'ol pile 'o choss
Nearing Mesahchie's summit block
Nearing Mesahchie's summit block
The route up the summit block follows the obvious lightning strike gully system from lower right to upper left. It was loose and we all took extreme care to not kick rocks down on each other. We stayed close together or stayed on opposite sides of the gully taking care not to be in the fall like of another climber. Despite it's reputation as a horrible pile of choss I quite enjoyed the route. In fact I really enjoyed it. Soon we found ourselves at the summit. It was mostly cloudy but we didn't mind. We had lunch and signed the register. 6 hours car to summit.
Mesahchie summit block
Mesahchie summit block
Climbing the final choss gully up Mesahchie
Climbing the final choss gully up Mesahchie
The boys topping out on the summit block of Mesahchie
The boys topping out on the summit block of Mesahchie
Adam reaching Mesahchie's summit
Adam reaching Mesahchie's summit
Mesahchie register
Mesahchie register
Mesahchie summit
Mesahchie summit
Adam - stoked to get this summit
Adam - stoked to get this summit
After a brief stay, I dunno 40 minutes or so, we departed for Katsuk. It was a bit harder to not knock loose rocks down the gully but we continued to be extremely self aware, and aware of our climbing partners location and we descended without incident. On the traverse over to Katsuk the clouds really rolled in and it was near white out at times. I got a bit off route when Adam and Chandler descended under a rib, I tried a high approach but passed on a class 4 traverse only to find an even worse class 5 descent back down to the route they were on. Soon we were all on the summit in mostly a white out. The original Roper register was wet, but we were able to dry it out enough to sign it. We stayed for a bit and as we were ready to descend the clouds began to clear.
Descending from Mesahchie
Descending from Mesahchie
Making our way towards Katsuk
Making our way towards Katsuk
Adam and Chandler topping out on Katsuk
Adam and Chandler topping out on Katsuk
The original Roper Katsuk register
The original Roper Katsuk register
Our Katsuk register
Our Katsuk register
Katsuk summit views
Katsuk summit views
The descent back was kinda tricky. Hard to remember exactly where he had come up, but GPS kept us on track. Soon were were back down the class 3/4 section and reached the corniced ridge. We took some snow down for a bit which was nice standing glissading and plunge stepping. The good mood was dampened when we heard Adam say "ummmm, we have a problem".
Crooked Finger
Crooked Finger
Adam descending Katsuk
Adam descending Katsuk
Traversing back from Katsuk
Traversing back from Katsuk
Heading back down towards the gulley
Heading back down towards the gulley
Chandler descending some class 3/4
Chandler descending some class 3/4
Adam was hiking in new boots. Well, they were 10 year old boots he had bought on ebay, an older model he loved that he was able to find a new pair of at a great deal. Unfortunately the tread of the boot had de-laminated from the body of the boot and the heel section through mid foot of the sole was flapping loose, barely held on by the toe. It was happening on both boots, we figure triggered by the water (snow). We were still five hours from the car, and still had the entire traverse to go plus the trail down Easy Pass. Oh boy. Adam and I both had duct tape around our trekking poles we used to tape the soles to the body of the boot. It might have held ok, but wouldn't have been good. Chandler came to the rescue with some straps that came with his backpack. They were the perfect size. Thank you Black Diamond! Boot soles secured, well... "good enough", we finished the descent to the basin and began the traverse back to Easy Pass. We took it slow and Adam's boots just barely held up. We soon found ourselves back at the car, 14 hours c2c. It was a kick ass trip. We all had a good time and were stoked to get these peaks.
North Cascades Splendor
North Cascades Splendor
Adam's messed up boots
Adam's messed up boots
Fisher Creek and flowers
Fisher Creek and flowers
Adam giving the dogs a break
Adam giving the dogs a break
Evening light
Evening light
Stats are about 16 miles with 7250 ft gain.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 10:14 pm 
awilsondc wrote:
Arches
Arches
Love this! up.gif up.gif up.gif Cloud looks like it is smashing! into the pinnacle. Kinda like wave & coastal cliffs during hostile winter storms on the coast Cool photo! Thanks for sharing

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 10:16 pm 
awilsondc wrote:
Fisher Creek and flowers
Fisher Creek and flowers
Oh! And this one! up.gif up.gif up.gif biggrin.gif

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 10:47 pm 
awilsondc wrote:
Chandler - the stoke is high!  1000 bonus points if you can spot Alden Ryno
Chandler - the stoke is high! 1000 bonus points if you can spot Alden Ryno
Follow prominent ridge in foreground up and to the right of the slight cornice. Primary colored pixels You got your revenge, Adam lost his sole Great looking trip

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostThu Jul 18, 2019 12:40 am 
Excellent!

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostThu Jul 18, 2019 7:25 am 
The bad news is the boots are toast. First two pairs I had didn't do that. Great trip guys, and awesome job on this report Aaron.
Mesahchie
Mesahchie
Graybeard
Graybeard
Chandler
Chandler
Logan
Logan
Katsuk
Katsuk
summit
summit
class 4
class 4

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostThu Jul 18, 2019 8:37 am 
Nice trip guys. Well done! Great photos.

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostThu Jul 18, 2019 9:42 am 
Brings back memories of Josh and I being up there in 2014 the day after we were both turned away from Canada... Ragged Ridge 2014 Damn that was 5 years ago; I am starting to transition into one of the "has beens"! dizzy.gif

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
contour5

contour5
PostThu Jul 18, 2019 5:13 pm 
Great trip report and photos!

adam.rhoda1

adam.rhoda1
PostThu Jul 18, 2019 8:30 pm 
I did that exact same trip last year (minus the boot kerfuffle) and my GPS tracked it at 15.6 miles and 7230' elevation gained and lost, so pretty spot on with your estimate!

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSat Jul 20, 2019 6:55 pm 
Thanks guys!
Michael Lewis wrote:
Follow prominent ridge in foreground up and to the right of the slight cornice. Primary colored pixels
Yes!!! You win!
Michael Lewis wrote:
You got your revenge, Adam lost his sole
hihi.gif lol.gif rotf.gif
adam.rhoda1 wrote:
I did that exact same trip last year (minus the boot kerfuffle) and my GPS tracked it at 15.6 miles and 7230' elevation gained and lost, so pretty spot on with your estimate!
Awesome! Thanks! I was actually able to check the stats on the GPS track, roughly 16 miles 7250. I'll adjust my numbers thanks. Oh, and Matt Lemke... your pictures from your trip that you posted to summitpost, particularly the pointy summit block of Mesahchie from the Cub area, were a major inspiration to me wanting to do this trip in the first place. Thank you! Feels good to get it done!

Snidely Whiplash

Snidely Whiplash
PostSun Jul 21, 2019 1:32 pm 
That is just awesome! I caught Adam's video on Youtube. I don't know your setup, but your pictures always look so much better than mine. I guess it helps that you do more spectacular stuff than I do.

Alden Ryno

Alden Ryno
PostSun Jul 21, 2019 1:47 pm 
Quote:
Chandler was particularly stoked. He said he had never been this deep in the mountains this early in the morning and it definitely left an impression.
It's pretty friggin' amazing! Ragged Ridge has to be a contender for the best views in the state. I was blown away by how much I had "circumnavigated" around Logan going all the way past Kimtah; the views changed completely from Easy Pass.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Jul 21, 2019 8:38 pm 
Snidely Whiplash wrote:
I don't know your setup...
Setup has varied quite a lot over the last few years. Currently shooting Sony a7rii w/ 24-105 most of the time. This combo is amazing. Best setup I've ever used and it's not even close. I shoot in RAW and post process in Lightroom. I think the post processing is the biggest factor.
RynoA wrote:
Ragged Ridge has to be a contender for the best views in the state.
I feel like there is a lot of the state left for me to witness, but man... Ragged Ridge has a special place in my heart forever. Some of the best views I've ever seen, and extra special knowing how hard you have to work to get them!

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostMon Jul 22, 2019 7:43 pm 
Congrats on your redemption Aaron! Killer daytrip for sure! That area is amazing though I have yet to venture onto ragged ridge! Nice trip yall. cheers.gif

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin