Forum Index > Trail Talk > Blue lake fire idiocy
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Jul 22, 2019 10:22 pm 
There are two or three stories in the thread of Samaritans trying to extinguish deep seated fire with water. If you try, add a couple drops of soap, mixed, per kettle. It’s much more effective. Breaking down the surface tension makes a real difference. Without a real shovel expectation should be temporary slowing. I’d still report. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Jul 22, 2019 10:24 pm 
Thanks for the tip. But who has soap on a backpacking trip?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jul 22, 2019 10:27 pm 
pula58 wrote:
We need to get the word out, over and over, about leaving no trace.
I've been telling people on a different fitness forum about the down sides of camp fires especially in the backcountry. I've been getting laughed at, like a paranoid fool. I was told that ecological damage isn't worth talking about.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Jul 22, 2019 10:34 pm 
WA Hikers Climbers is the 101 to hiking. As in those in it are currently in the class. They haven't passed yet! And looks like large numbers are not on a current trajectory to ever pass it. Yet they're still allowed into these alpine havens! Should have to pass first!

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Jul 22, 2019 10:56 pm 
Is Lee Jacobson on this forum?

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Jul 22, 2019 11:10 pm 
Foist wrote:
Thanks for the tip. But who has soap on a backpacking trip?
I keep a small 1/4 ounce dropper bottle of camp suds in my cook kit. A rubber scrapper and a drop of soap go a long way in cleaning up after a meal. I would assume most people who cook carry biodegradable soap.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Jul 22, 2019 11:13 pm 
Right. I have been eating freeze dried meals out of bags for so long I forgot some people still actually cook stuff.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostTue Jul 23, 2019 6:54 am 
if I see stupid people with fires ...(HIGH FIRE DANGER) or damaging a meadow.... I just strap on my bowie knife and go pee on the fire...then dump water on it ....whilst screaming FRIGGIN AMATEURS!!!!! of cours this is after I ask nicely and point out the ranger is in the area... up.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jul 23, 2019 7:25 am 
“Two of us came across a smoldering root fire years ago near peach lake that we were able to stop with a trowel and lake water.” Well damn, as difficult as it is to get into peach lake that surprises and saddens me. Some years ago I hiked into Thorp lake. I didnt see anyone there, but I found a fire in the main pit with flames three feet high! I spent two hours putting that thing out. The plain and simple reality is, YOU CANT FIX STUPID!!! Sadly there is A LOT of stupid out there. I don’t think I’ve made a fire In twenty years. Outside of your emotional need, there simply isnt a need to make a fire 99% of the time. If you need to make a fire to preserve you’re life do the right thing and make sure you put the damn thing out.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jul 23, 2019 7:35 am 
Foist wrote:
Sounds exactly like the experience we had at Cyclone Lake last summer. We tried to put it out but it had already gotten so deep underground that we failed. From another trip report posted in the fall, it sounded like the smoldering pit got even bigger after we left, sadly.
Another wow! People work as hard as they had to to get into cyclone and they make a STUPID FREAKING FIRE? I would have hoped the kind of people capable, and wanting that have the heart and desire to get into cyclone would have more densely packed brain cells. Sadly, I guess that’s not the case. Maybe we should institute an IQ test every year before we hand out the Hiking permission cards?🙈

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
gb

gb
PostTue Jul 23, 2019 8:11 am 
Bernardo wrote:
Really GB? This is a great example of a destructive comment. You fly into a cyberbullying rage every time someone challenges the natrative you want to advance. It's a nasty tactic and it is really bad for constructive dialogue. In this silly case, I questioned some "facts" that may have embellished the narrative, heightened the drama, and enhanced the sense of outrage. This was effective with you because the outrage the story engendered in you justified in your mind your total and public invalidation of my perspective. I don't think exagerating bad news is a good policy. It's called crying wolf and just undermines credibility with most readers. Furthermore, I was sincerely interested in learning about 500 year old trees that may have been killed in this way before. Do you have any examples? Some pictures would be nice.
Why don't you go and look instead of launching into a pointless and ill-informed critique of the thread as advanced by the OP. Otherwise, it just shows lack of perspective on your part.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Jul 23, 2019 8:47 am 
Geez, gb, take it easy, all he did was express some hope that, despite the stupid and bad fire, the old growth trees might not be dead.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostTue Jul 23, 2019 9:13 am 
I for one do bring wilderness wash with me when I hike, cause I don't typically eat out of a plastic bag, I could really trigger some people and say the ecological damage made by using a plastic bag per a meal when backpacking is worse for the environment than a small safe contained fire using the same tools every time and ones drop of wilderness wash... I don't really believe that or have evidence of it, just here to stir the pot. In all seriousness, I typically boil water in my jetboil and cook in a plastic bowl set from there, not as much trash and it stores a bunch of stuff so it what works for me. The only time I have a fire is when it's legal, and I either have a few people who don't backpack as much with me cause there is a nice experience sitting chatting around a fire in the woods, and if it's legal a fresh trout cooked over a fire beats the heck out of one heated up in a jet boil 😂. But I am always safe legal and put it out. And that's the important part.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
melc

melc
PostTue Jul 23, 2019 9:17 am 
I never understand why fitness oriented people want to degrade their performance by scratching their lungs with particulates.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostTue Jul 23, 2019 9:21 am 
melc wrote:
I never understand why fitness oriented people want to degrade their performance by scratching their lungs with particulates.
They are not fitness oriented, they are challenge oriented, that's why they do it. Damaging there lungs adds to the challenge. Just like so many people I knew in the military who smoked. Adds to the challenge of pt is what they said. Of course most of them barely could pass it, but I knew one guy who could smoke a pack a day and still out run me when I run 2-3 days a week 🤔

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.