Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thomson, Lemah, Chikamin, Huckleberry, Alaska - 7/21-23/19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostWed Jul 24, 2019 11:47 am 
Enjoyed a nice trip to climb some peaks in the "Snoqualmie Pickets" and the surrounding area over the last few days. Day 1: Mount Thomson, camp at Glacier Lake Selena, Gary, Brian, and I left Snoqualmie Pass at 8 AM and climbed the East Ridge route on Mount Thomson (snow free at this point). The last time I climbed this route I had some difficulty locating the correct class 4 chimney that grants access to the summit. This time the routefinding went smoothly and we all had a great time scrambling this impressive peak. We spent over an hour on the summit enjoying the clear views and ogling the waterfall that drains Icebe...er...Grebeci Lake.
Team hiking across Bumblebee Basin
Team hiking across Bumblebee Basin
Mount Thomson
Mount Thomson
Selena and Gary scrambling on the East Ridge
Selena and Gary scrambling on the East Ridge
Topping out
Topping out
The Crest and Grebeci waterfall
The Crest and Grebeci waterfall
We rappelled the class 4 step (30m rope works) and hiked back to the PCT. Gary and Brian headed back to the car while Selena and I continued east with the goal of camping at Glacier Lake for the night. We considered climbing the west route on Chikamin, but didn't feel like carrying over the mountain with our overnight packs.
Joe Lake, Four Brothers, Three Queens
Joe Lake, Four Brothers, Three Queens
Huckleberry
Huckleberry
Alta
Alta
Burnt Boot
Burnt Boot
Chikamin
Chikamin
Overcoat
Overcoat
As soon as we began the descent to Glacier Lake, the mosquitoes became horrendous. We hiked in hardshell jackets and bug nets and they were still a nuisance. The mosquitoes were consistently bad for the rest of the trip and were especially intense at our camp at Glacier Lake. Camp was so beautiful, though, that I almost forgot about the bugs.
Three Queens
Three Queens
Nearing Glacier Lake
Nearing Glacier Lake
Chimney Rock
Chimney Rock
Day 2: Lemah and Chikamin The next morning we hiked up to Chikamin Lake en route to Lemah. I was overheating in my hardshell jacket but it was the only way to retain my sanity amidst the mosquitoes. Wonderful, dramatic scenery every step of the way.
Beginning of the route to Chikamin Lake passes by this rock formation
Beginning of the route to Chikamin Lake passes by this rock formation
Three Queens above Glacier Lake
Three Queens above Glacier Lake
Chikamin Peak
Chikamin Peak
Chikamin Lake
Chikamin Lake
We hiked across talus and heather up to the SW ridge of Lemah One, crossed under Lemah One, then descended the SE ridge for a few hundred feet. We descended N on bad choss and steep snow, then contoured around the E side of Lemah One and Two to get over to main Lemah. Ice axes and crampons were useful on the firm snow.
Hiking above Chikamin Lake
Hiking above Chikamin Lake
Chimney Rock through some spires
Chimney Rock through some spires
Descending SE Ridge of Lemah One
Descending SE Ridge of Lemah One
Lemah Two, Chimney Rock (route traverses upper snow ramp underneath Lemah Two)
Lemah Two, Chimney Rock (route traverses upper snow ramp underneath Lemah Two)
Cannon Hole
Cannon Hole
We had no problem with the snow-rock transition getting up to Lemah. After that, a few hundred feet of very enjoyable and solid class 3 scrambling. Then some more snow, choss up to the notch S of the summit, and some exposed choss on the west side up to the true summit. I think Lemah is probably one of the best viewpoints I have seen in Washington outside of the North Cascades.
The snow leading to Lemah
1 label
The snow leading to Lemah
Snow-rock transition
Snow-rock transition
Fun class 3
Fun class 3
Scrambling with Grebeci below
Scrambling with Grebeci below
Topping out
Topping out
Overcoat and Chimney Rock
Overcoat and Chimney Rock
Weather over Daniel
Weather over Daniel
Chimney Rock
Chimney Rock
Thriller on Lemah Summit
Thriller on Lemah Summit
YEAH!!!
YEAH!!!
We reversed the route back to Chikamin Lake, then descended towards Glacier Lake until we met the junction with the Chikamin bootpath (5200').
Descending Lemah
Descending Lemah
Re-ascending difficult choss to Lemah One SE Ridge
Re-ascending difficult choss to Lemah One SE Ridge
X marks the spot on Chikamin Peak
X marks the spot on Chikamin Peak
Descending back towards Glacier Lake
Descending back towards Glacier Lake
We followed the bootpath to the beautiful unnamed lake at 5400', crossed its outlet, and wrapped around the S side heading west. We lost some time here trying to find a bootpath, before finally deciding to just go up. I don't think there really is any sort of a consistent bootpath or cairned route up Chikamin, at least not that we could find. There is some tread/cairns here and there, but nothing continuous. Just follow your nose uphill to Chikamin's S ridge, it's all easy and it all goes. From there follow the ridge to the summit (class 2 with one steep scramble move right below the top). No register.
Lake 5400'
Lake 5400'
Ascending slabs and heather on Chikamin
Ascending slabs and heather on Chikamin
Chikamin summit block
Chikamin summit block
The scramble move
The scramble move
The Lemahs
The Lemahs
Northwest Chikamin
Northwest Chikamin
Three Queens
Three Queens
Daniel
Daniel
Gold Creek Valley. The first time I saw Chikamin was many years ago from I-90, looking up this valley. Cool to finally see the valley from the reverse perspective.
Gold Creek Valley. The first time I saw Chikamin was many years ago from I-90, looking up this valley. Cool to finally see the valley from the reverse perspective.
We descended to camp and went to bed early in preparation for an early wakeup.
Descending Chikamin, Hibox above
Descending Chikamin, Hibox above
Chikamin from Camp
Chikamin from Camp
Glacier Lake
Glacier Lake
Day 3: Huckleberry and Alaska The next morning we hiked back to the PCT and around to Huckleberry in intermittent sprinkles. Luckily, the weather improved and we decided to go for Huckleberry.
Three Queens above a mosquito cesspool
Three Queens above a mosquito cesspool
The Lemahs and Chimney Rock
The Lemahs and Chimney Rock
Stuart
Stuart
Some weather moving through
Some weather moving through
We left the PCT at a pond and hiked up to the base of the E Ridge of Huckleberry. The E ridge is mostly steep class 3 scrambling with occasional loose rock. A good place to be careful, but nothing too difficult. We ascended the ridge then downclimbed steep class 3/4 to a notch below the summit. More scrambling up from the notch, finishing with a few crack moves of what I would call 5.5 or 5.6. If we had brought rock pro, I would have protected these few moves. It's possible there is a class 4 route climbers left of the crack, but it looked very exposed and loose. Anyways, I threw a rope down to Selena for this final bit and belayed her up. No register.
Huckleberry, E Ridge on left skyline
Huckleberry, E Ridge on left skyline
Scrambling the ridge
Scrambling the ridge
Traversing over to the notch
Traversing over to the notch
Downclimbing into the notch
Downclimbing into the notch
Huckleberry summit shot
Huckleberry summit shot
The rap anchor on the summit is a giant cairn. A little unnerving to rap off this, but it seemed solid and I've heard this is a common technique in canyoneering. We double-rope rapped on two 30m ropes, it is nearly a full 30m rappel. One more rap on the lower ridge then we hiked back to the PCT.
Huckleberry rap anchor
Huckleberry rap anchor
Rappelling
Rappelling
We hiked the 10 or so miles back to the car on the rocky PCT, making a short diversion to Alaska Mountain on the way. This was an awesome trip, thank you very much to my partners for being great people and making it possible.
Every peak climbed on the trip in one shot
5 labels
Every peak climbed on the trip in one shot

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostWed Jul 24, 2019 12:23 pm 
And who says there's nothing interesting along I-90. Nice job linking it all up. Now we know where all the bugs are hanging out.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jul 24, 2019 12:24 pm 
Looks like a great trip. up.gif I got all thrown off, I was looking at Daniel in the distance from Boulder Pass a couple days ago and it looked to be mostly snow covered. Then of course I realized I was looking at the north face of it and your pic is the south side. Holy cow that is pretty much bare.
Jake Robinson wrote:
Huckleberry rap anchor
Huckleberry rap anchor
eek.gif That is probably way more solid than it looks, but I don't think I would trust that enough to rap off of it. Yikes!

b00

b00
PostWed Jul 24, 2019 12:41 pm 
Jake Robinson wrote:
The rap anchor on the summit is a giant cairn. A little unnerving to rap off this...
Huckleberry rap anchor
Huckleberry rap anchor
it still is unnerving when i remember in 2004, after watching all the other members of our party rap off, who all weighed at least 30 or more lbs less then me, getting up the courage to weight that cairn.... ugh :<( ps - to be picky, i did think the view from chikamin, if it did not surpass lemah 3, at least rivaled it. either way, both views are awesome and worthy of seeing more than once!!! pps - getting off the snow and onto the rock for the summit of lemah 3 is surprising that although it looks problematic, in the right spot like what both you and i took, it certainly worked out well :>) ppps - great, great trip!!! sorry about the bugs, but what a cool choice of routes and peaks to link together.

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Jul 24, 2019 1:51 pm 
That's a pretty sweet trip Jake. The route you did on Lemah is one of the finest I've done in WA. Didn't want to do it before hand, but Fletcher kept pushing for it. smile.gif Sketchy Looking anchor on Huckleberry.

Bluebird
suffering optional

Bluebird
suffering optional
PostWed Jul 24, 2019 1:59 pm 
Me: I'm bringing 3 friends to Thomson on Sunday. You should come along. We could camp at Ridge Lake and climb Huckleberry too. Jake: I'll repeat Thomson if we can climb Huckleberry, Lemah and Chikamin too. Me: Uh, okay? I mean, I want to go to all those peaks... eek.gif

iron

iron
PostWed Jul 24, 2019 3:54 pm 
lake 5400 is a surprisingly cold swim for its size

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostWed Jul 24, 2019 4:37 pm 
Nice link up! All quality peaks, nice to get them all in one go. Did you not do Lemah 1?

Bluebird
suffering optional

Bluebird
suffering optional
PostWed Jul 24, 2019 7:15 pm 
no, i took a tumble en route to the lemah glacier so i wasn’t feeling it and refused lemah 1. in my defense i did get it back together and made it to chikamin and huckleberry afterwards.

b00

b00
PostWed Jul 24, 2019 7:52 pm 
Bluebird wrote:
no, i took a tumble en route to the lemah glacier so i wasn’t feeling it and refused lemah 1. in my defense i did get it back together and made it to chikamin and huckleberry afterwards.
orphans are awesome because they give you a great excuse to return to a beautiful area. i thought that lemah 1 and the four brothers aka aybee peak, are an excellent link up, especially with a camp near chikamin lake and that is definitely a trip i want to repeat :>)

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSat Jul 27, 2019 5:18 pm 
it definitely looks pretty nice up there. nice work connecting all of those summits in one trip. one of these days I need to do an overnighter in the alpine lakes wilderness

Eric Eames