Forum Index > Trip Reports > Met running sevant Kaytlyn Gerbin on Kaleetan Peak climb
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ahughjass

ahughjass
PostThu Jul 25, 2019 7:49 am 
I climbed Kaleetan Peak on July 19, 2019. It rained in the early morning and the trails were wet. I proceeded cautiously to do this 11 mile route with 5600 feet of *total* elevation gain. It is actually more like 12 miles because the Denny Creek TH is closed, and I parked at the Franklin Falls TH. On my return I ran into Kaytlyn Gerbin twice. Once near peak 5700 I saw this woman really haulin' the mail. I yelled "You go girl", and she yelled back that she was trying for the record time for Kaleetan. I ran into her a second time about 1/2 mile below Melakwa Lake. As she passed I told her, "You're my 2nd favorite hero, right behind Courtney Dauwalter". I later learned that Kaytlyn finished in 2nd place (F) behind 1st place (F) finisher Courtney in the Western States 100 (2018). That was a weird coincidence. I filmed her for a brief time as she was burning up the trail. You can see her at 1:53 in this video. Her round-trip record-setting time was 3h 6m 17s. That's impressive. I finished in 3 hours and 421 minutes. But since we were the only two to summit Kaleetan this day, I prefer to view it as I finished in 2nd place behind an ultrarunning superstar wink.gif

I go to the gym religiously.... Christmas and Easter I love sports-bars. Because they collect all the people I don't want to hang out with and put them in one room.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jul 25, 2019 12:31 pm 
ahughjass wrote:
I finished in 3 hours and 421 minutes.
I could do it in that time, too, I think. up.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
geyer

geyer
PostFri Jul 26, 2019 8:28 am 
saw that she and alex b were running the infinity loop down on rainier today and their social media post implied that they would try to break the FKT. Insane eek.gif

Bob2005

Bob2005
PostSat Jul 27, 2019 4:39 pm 
What are the lakes at 00:01:30 and 00:01:34: Kaleetan and Gem? Great video, and I like the soundtrack a lot too.

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostSun Jul 28, 2019 12:56 pm 
Shows how out of the loop I am as I haven't heard of either of them. That is really awesome though!

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
ahughjass

ahughjass
PostSun Jul 28, 2019 7:26 pm 
Quote:
What are the lakes at 00:01:30 and 00:01:34: Kaleetan and Gem? Great video, and I like the soundtrack a lot too.
I think you're correct with the lake names. The music is by New Airs doing their Cover of U2

I go to the gym religiously.... Christmas and Easter I love sports-bars. Because they collect all the people I don't want to hang out with and put them in one room.
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 7:43 am 
This isn't a running forum but Kaytlyn and her husband Ely hike and climb a lot, so your chance encounter while hiking Kaleetan is entirely appropriate. Kaytlyn is an amazing athlete with fourth, second and sixth at the granddaddy of all 100 mile races in the world and arguably the most prestigious and competitive, the Western States 100. This year she was overtaken in the final meters by the fifth place woman...by two seconds after running 100 miles in the Sierras! You might see her whoosh by you, always smiling, on Tiger or other local hills at any time of year as she trains out of home base in Issaquah. The Infinity Loop is described here. Basically, the challenge is to climb Rainier, descend a different route approximately on the other side, do the Wonderland back to your start, climb Rainier again and descend, then finish by doing the other half of the Wonderland. I'm tired just describing it! Edit: here is tracking for Kaytlyn's attempt in progress. I will delete this edit in a timely manner. Edit: Complete!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostMon Aug 12, 2019 10:01 am 
https://patch.com/washington/sammamish/infinity-war-how-two-women-beat-mt-rainiers-toughest-challenge

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
pcg

pcg
PostMon Aug 12, 2019 11:01 pm 
ahughjass wrote:
since we were the only two to summit Kaleetan this day, I prefer to view it as I finished in 2nd place behind an ultrarunning superstar
You could also say that you came in 2nd and she finished next to last.