Forum Index > Trail Talk > Chants questions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jul 24, 2019 3:29 pm 
I'm planning a day hike from the Colchuck TH to the Snow Lakes TH. I've camped at both lakes, but haven't seen much of the good stuff in between. So I'm hoping people can help me with some info: (1) Will I want an ice ax this weekend? No, right? (Every time I assume, I'm wrong.) (2) Can you (easily) fill a bottle on the way up Aasgard? Can I assume I'll have all the water I need in the basins, but it'll be dry from Nada until the road? (3) Is route finding ever a challenge? I'm not an idiot.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Atomc

Atomc
PostWed Jul 24, 2019 3:47 pm 
(1) No. The most recent trip reports on WTA for the enchantments are from 4 days ago and say there's only a 20ft patch of snow near the top of Asgard with a few sparse patches here and there in the core zone. No big deal. (2) Every time I've been up Asgard it has been dry. There is a meltwater stream but since there's very little snow remaining I would guess its dry by now. Basins are full of lakes and water, no shortage there. Its not dry from Nada to the road, there is a stream crossing about a mile past the lake, but from there it can be pretty dry. (3) Nah its easy enough to follow. If you're going on a weekend you'll probably see at least 100 other people which makes following the trail a little easier. Having the Gaia app can help in few places, but as long as you have some sort of map you'll be fine. Have fun, its really cool up there.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jul 24, 2019 4:17 pm 
Thanks very much Atomc!! smile.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jul 24, 2019 4:38 pm 
You will probably want to filter up before departing the inlet streams to Colchuck. I've never seen them dry. In a pinch you can probably access water from the treed outcropping halfway up.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jul 24, 2019 10:20 pm 
I'm grateful for all the advice and info. biggrin.gif Will I need water shoes?

hbb

hbb
PostThu Jul 25, 2019 2:22 pm 
On #2, every time I've been up Asgaard, there is easy access to water roughly 3/4 of the way up where the bootpath traverses from climbers left of the pass to the center and then ascends through some cliff bands. There's always been several parties topping off water when I've been through this section. And as Tom noted, as you skirt around to climber's left of the tree island approximately 1/2 of the way up, you can normally find water. I've found this to be the case even late in the season. As for water past Nada toward the Snow Lakes TH, the trail crosses Snow Creek on a bridge (you must have forgotten this), and gets within a stone's throw twice past the bridge that I can recall. It's also pretty easy to get down to the creek around the approach trail to Snow Creek Wall if you really need water and can't just push through to the TH. Snow Creek doesn't run dry, you'll have opportunities to top off if needed. On #3, anyone with reasonable route-finding skills will have no problem making the circuit. Water shoes are unnecessary, any water crossing you can't jump over will have an established bridge or good stepping stones. Have fun!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Jul 25, 2019 3:29 pm 
I'm excited. One thing I've been trying to decide, and maybe people have input on? This is more personal, but still. Do I want to use a hydration pack? Regular water bottles are slower and I probably won't drink as often, but I can put electrolyte tabs in them. And I can wear a more comfortable pack.

reststep

reststep
PostThu Jul 25, 2019 5:13 pm 
You might want water shoes if the water is still flowing over the Snow Lake Dam but maybe it is a non factor this year. I suppose you could cross it barefooted.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Atomc

Atomc
PostThu Jul 25, 2019 6:18 pm 
I’ve never been a fan of hydration packs and I curse them any chance I get. Smartwater bottle is so much lighter, saves quite a few ounces. I hate that warm first sip out of the tube. Bleh. I always feel like I’m suffocating trying to pull through those hoses while being out of breath. I can’t dribble water down my sweaty chest out of the tube, this is a major drawback for me, your mileage may vary.

seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostSun Jul 28, 2019 12:25 pm 
^^ agree. There’s so much water in the Enchantments, better to filter as you go with a Sawyer mini. Then add electrolyte tabs or a pinch of raw sea salt

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Jul 28, 2019 6:37 pm 
That's the most beautiful place I've ever seen. I've been to Glacier and Zion, Yellowstone and Yosemite, the Badlands and Canyonlands, etc etc. I mean I've even been to Mount Baker. I think if you could design the perfect mountain meadows, you'd wind up for the upper basin.