Forum Index > Gear Talk > Altaplex shelter (Zpacks)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jul 02, 2017 3:08 pm 
Looks like Six Moons no longer makes the Cuben tents.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Aug 14, 2017 6:56 am 
Altaplex front
Altaplex front
I used the tent / shelter on three backpack trips this summer it setup quick, kept a taunt pitch, and you could feel the wind being funneled up through the 3" mesh perimeter. Conditions were favorable for no condensation i'll have to see how it does on hot days and cool nights with light to calm winds.

Living in the Anthropocene
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Jul 27, 2019 7:12 am 
Zpacks Altaplex in the wild.
Zpacks Altaplex in the wild.
This has been my go to shelter of choice since my initial post I sometimes pack other options but usually end up pulling them the room, ventilation, stability, weatherproof-ness, and weight check all the boxes and I see no signs of wear though they discontinued this model when they introduced the Plexamid which is smaller and lighter I still prefer the Altaplex’s size / footprint.
Altaplex on Pinegrass Ridge.
Altaplex on Pinegrass Ridge.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSat Jul 27, 2019 9:43 am 
Thanks for the update. That looks like a great shelter. You may have seen I am now using a Z-Packs 8.5 x 10 tarp. I like the Dyneema fabric. If the bugs ever get to me, I'd probably upgrade to something like this.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Jul 27, 2019 10:27 am 
The DCF is great at not contracting in cooling weather or absorbing moisture Hit the Trail has the Plexamid so he would be a resource for reviews on it.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 8:34 am 
wildernessed wrote:
Hit the Trail has the Plexamid so he would be a resource for reviews on it.
I have had a Zpacks Plexamid for almost a year now and have had it out on several trips. Following are some of my initial thoughts: First, the advertised weight at 15 oz does not include a tent pole or stakes. If you set it up with a trekking pole and use all the guy lines for support the weight comes in at around 21 oz depending what weight of stakes you use. If you need your trekking poles and get their carbon pole the weight is close to 25 oz depending on stake weight. If you add a DCF ground pad with a few stakes like I have you are getting close to double the weight Zpacks advertises. Still a very light and stable tent. Big Red in Zpacks video says just stake out the four corners and raise the pole and complete the staking and you get a perfect set-up. That is almost right. I found it is best to keep the four corner guy lines so loose that the center pole is flopping around and then go around adjusting the other stakes or your set-up can get weird and the tent will look deformed. There is a slight learning curve. The interior has enough room for one person and your pack. I put my boots in the vestibule in a custom DCF roll top waterproof bag I made for that purpose. That gives you adequate room inside. Now I empty out my DCF Hyperlite Mountain Gear pack and put it in inside my sleeping bag (shoulder straps up) and sleep with my legs inside the pack. That acts as a vapor barrier, keeps my feet warm and gets the pack out of my way. The best of all worlds. On calm nights you will get condensation even with the doors open. A slight breeze solves that problem. BTW, the tent is designed to keep you dry in a light storm even with the doors open if it is not blowing sideways. Summary: It is a great shelter for fast and light trips to alpine settings where a breeze is usually blowing. It is also very stable in high winds. And, using a trekking pole for setup without a ground cloth it can be used as a light emergency shelter for long day hikes. I have started using it as my primary shelter.