Forum Index > Trail Talk > Pasayten Wilderness in late fall
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
drv8535
Darrick

drv8535
Darrick
PostThu Jul 25, 2019 4:57 pm 
Looking for experience/intel on this area in late fall. I live in Spokane and am fairly new to the area still. Most of my outdoor adventures have been in N Idaho. I have NEVER been to the Cascades. Read a couple trip reports of making a nice loop up Middle Fork Payasten River then east over a pass to Eureka Creek basin, then back down. I’m looking at November 1st for a 3 day trip probably. Is this area totally buried by then? Is it a crap shoot by that time, could be feet of snow or just really cold? I’m not opposed to some snow, but would prefer to not do all 30+ mi in snowshoes either. Any past experiences are appreciated!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Jul 25, 2019 8:25 pm 
First week of November will be a total crapshoot. There will almost certainly have been some snowfall at higher elevations by then, but whether there is just some patchy, thin snow here and there or a couple feet at key places cannot be predicted with any accuracy.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostThu Jul 25, 2019 8:48 pm 
I've only been there once, in 2011, October 6-7. There was a bit of snow when I headed in, up to 3 or 4 inches deep in the higher spots. This was somewhere on the Boundary Trail:
It dropped another couple inches on me overnight, which scared me into bugging out early. I think I would have been fine, but I'm cautious once it's into October.

drv8535
Darrick

drv8535
Darrick
PostThu Jul 25, 2019 9:19 pm 
Noted, thanks🤙 Guess I could reach out to the forest service when it gets closer too

drv8535
Darrick

drv8535
Darrick
PostThu Jul 25, 2019 9:22 pm 
Texasbb, did you bring snowshoes or traction just in case, or were you mostly good in boots?

RichP

RichP
PostThu Jul 25, 2019 9:41 pm 
I've been up there in late Oct and it was snow-free. Nov is cutting it close though.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Jul 26, 2019 5:40 am 
We did a 3 day Eastern Pasayten Thruhike the end of October last year it was nice but up to a foot of snow on extreme North and West aspects, limited water, and short days had us limiting our itinerary so we could make our 15 mile / days.

Living in the Anthropocene
pcg

pcg
PostFri Jul 26, 2019 7:52 am 
Snowed on me in Horseshoe Basin first week of October last year, but accumulation was less than an inch. I think considerably more fell a few days later. I agree 1st week of November would be a total crapshoot with bad odds if you are averse to snowshoes.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostFri Jul 26, 2019 8:13 am 
drv8535 wrote:
Texasbb, did you bring snowshoes or traction just in case, or were you mostly good in boots?
Just boots. The forecast said I'd have a window between a couple of systems, which would give me time to make the long traverse on the high plain, then have an easy bug-out option down one of the drainages if the second system got bad. The overnight snow came on one of the days that was supposed to be clear, so I ran.

drv8535
Darrick

drv8535
Darrick
PostFri Jul 26, 2019 2:40 pm 
Thanks everyone, sounds like maybe it might be too late/risky for this kind of trip. Either that or finally invest in a decent pair of snowshoes🙃

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jul 26, 2019 3:07 pm 
drv8535 wrote:
Either that or finally invest in a decent pair of snowshoes
IME as a skier that is a bit snow starved at that time of year -- early season snows make travel much more difficult and having skis or snowshoes is less helpful than it is later in season. Until there have been several storms, the snow isn't compacted enough to support weigh, so skis or snowshoes sink in almost as much as in boots. It's easy to get off trail and then tangled up in brush and tree branch debris that are hidden by the snow -- but not covered enough to be flattened out.
Jamie Moore wrote:
November is the Cruelest Month November is the cruelest month Reminiscence forced of things far gone and Bitter foreshadowing of what is to come The leaves have lived up to their name The trees, a shell of what they once were The grass clings to its last hope The temperature makes its empty threats The beauty of Autumn deteriorates She is haughty and cruel We were strung along for so long But like all good things Her presence is too fleeting We try to rationalize her departure We didn’t need her anyway Her sister is far more beautiful Autumn was never committed We will look for someone else What luck! Her sister is coming Her name is winter! But alas, how could we love Someone so bitter and cold? November is the cruelest month Joy is attacked in a dark alley Melancholia does the mugging Bitterness steals the Hope November tears apart the heart With a ruthlessness unseen In any other month. The days are soon so short and cold The landscape is so barren There is a hint of snow But it is more like rain It is so unfortunate to see Nature’s beauty going all to waste The thirtieth is here Judgement Day has arrived It is only possible to conclude July was great if too hot indeed January hard but nearer the end September its usual lovely self One month stands alone in its horror November is the cruelest month

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Jul 27, 2019 5:05 pm 
Well, again, it's a total crapshoot and no one can say what it will be like. We could have a warm, dry fall and there might be little to no snow at all at that point, or we could have a couple feet up there by then. At that particular time we might have a big high pressure bubble over us and the weather might be fantastic, or it could be stormy, or it could be just unsettled and showery. It's truly impossible to say 'til we get right up to the dates you're talking about. Early November is just really hard to predict. I'd do a trip into the Pasayten in early November *if* conditions were favorable - little to no snow on the ground and a bulletproof forecast. But, I'd wait right up until the day I wanted to leave to make the decision as the weather is just too variable at that time of year. As Randy said, the early season snow isn't consolidated and won't bear weight. All it does is obscure the ground and force you to use twice as much effort to go anywhere, all while risking postholing into a gap between rocks or logs and injuring yourself. I definitely would not go if there was snow or any chance of snowfall.

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 11:45 am 
Be sure to check hunting seasons (Pasayten is popular with hunters but not sure how long they are out there). Sorry if you are used to living/hiking in northerly latitudes but since you mentioned you were new to WA, be sure to look at daylight hours and be sure you are up for that much time in the dark.