Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sahale High Camp 7-25-19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Don

Don
PostSat Jul 27, 2019 8:48 pm 
This was a return to paradise for me, though it had been many years from my previous visits. Still, a personal favorite and a place I will undoubtedly visit again (and again). The views are superlative. The challenge of this trip? The 4k feet elevation gain with a full pack, if you so choose, with the steep and loose section right at the very end. The downsides of this particular trip? The person who felt entitled to illegally fly his drone around the summit, then again the next morning around basecamp (where he was thankfully cited), and the group blasting their music on their Bluetooth speakers up the trail and from their tent sites for all to hear. Has it really come to this? I got a walk up permit the day before and hit the TH around 8:30 am. 1.5 hours to the pass and another 2 hours to Sahale high camp. Lots of flowers along the lower stretches of Sahale Arm. I settled in to my room with a view and enjoyed watching and meeting others who arrived, some of which continued on up to the summit. Evening offered an enjoyable sunset and then it was off to a nap before night photography.
Sahale Peak and the Sahale Glacier above a cascading stream in North Cascades National Park, Cascade Range, Washington, USA.
Sahale Peak and the Sahale Glacier above a cascading stream in North Cascades National Park, Cascade Range, Washington, USA.
View from Sahale high camp in North Cascades National Park, Cascade Range, Washington, USA.
View from Sahale high camp in North Cascades National Park, Cascade Range, Washington, USA.
I awoke at midnight and began working the sky when I looked down and noticed several headlamps coming up just below me. Really? I finished up and retreated to my tent, with a 4:30 wake up planned for sunrise.
The Milky Way captured from a high camp in the North Cascades, North Cascades National Park, Cascade Range, Washington, USA.
The Milky Way captured from a high camp in the North Cascades, North Cascades National Park, Cascade Range, Washington, USA.
Sunrise offered nice photography, and I was visited by not one mother goat and kid, but two! Then it was back to my campsite to ponder the rest of my day. My permit was for two nights, but a weak weather system was moving in later that day. I elected to pack up and descend after shooting Doubtful Lake after the shadows had disappeared.
View from high camp in the North Cascades, North Cascades National Park, Cascade Range, USA.
View from high camp in the North Cascades, North Cascades National Park, Cascade Range, USA.
The North Cascades at dawn from high camp, North Cascades National Park, Cascade Range, Washington, USA.
The North Cascades at dawn from high camp, North Cascades National Park, Cascade Range, Washington, USA.
Doubtfull Lake and peaks of the North Cascades, North Cascades National Park, Cascade Range, Washington, USA.
Doubtfull Lake and peaks of the North Cascades, North Cascades National Park, Cascade Range, Washington, USA.
Doubtfull Lake nestled into a basin below Sahale Arm and peaks of the North Cascades, North Cascades National Park, Cascade Range, Washington, USA.
Doubtfull Lake nestled into a basin below Sahale Arm and peaks of the North Cascades, North Cascades National Park, Cascade Range, Washington, USA.
While photographing, I noticed a couple descending at a very slow pace below, and surmised they were having problems. One was. I packed up camp and began my descent. Near the bottom of the moraine, I came upon a group of two and discovered one of them "butt-scooting" down the trail. A rock shifted below his foot and he severely twisted his ankle. While offering to go for help, I noticed his ankle had been immobilized by someone who had clearly been trained, and that accompanying person was the same lady who had issued me my permit at the ranger station. I learned a liter was already on the way up. Hats off to them for their service. I arrived at the pass to meet up with the injured person's group, which had camped next to me and some of whom I had met at camp. I was surprised at what I learned! I assumed the injured person had suffered his injury on his descent. Wrong. It had happened the previous afternoon. The headlamps I saw at midnight while doing night photography? Those of rescue rangers and his replacement guide racing up in the dark. Yes, he was the guide of the group. That had to be tough for him. I continued my descent to the TH and arrive to find a completely packed parking lot and cars parallel parked along the road. On a Friday morning.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostSun Jul 28, 2019 8:29 pm 
great shots. sorry about the asshats that are prevalent in the mtns these days. annoying beyond all belief.

RichP

RichP
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 5:12 pm 
Glad to hear the drone "pilot" got ticketed. Beautiful shots there.

NorthwestWanderer

NorthwestWanderer
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 5:43 pm 
Drones wouldn't annoy me if they weren't so dang loud. They are literally louder than a diesel truck. Extremely obnoxious pitch to it's noise too.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 7:39 pm 
bummer about the drone and rude tunes. At least you didn't see this guy.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
altersego

altersego
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 10:36 am 
That's awful about the music and drone. Hopefully you got to visit one of the great backcountry toilets though!

silence

silence
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 11:15 am 
awesome pix! kills me to think about making a big effort to get someplace special (not to mention getting the coveted permit) and then have it spoiled by others. that's part of lnt ... respecting others space. i think the parks need to preach that ethic as well.

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan