Forum Index > Trail Talk > Enchantment Permit Checking
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GroundGuru

GroundGuru
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 1:58 pm 
My brother got an enchantment permit for this upcoming weekend (beyond the change deadline since he printed the ticket). He hurt his leg playing frisbee and won't be able to do the hike but I still want to go on the hike. How closely do the rangers check the permits? Do they check your ID to make sure the name is the same as my ID? If they do, do you think I could edit the permit to put my name as the alternate group leader? Do they have a list to cross check the permit against? I would be going alone so the impact to the area is less than it would be if we both went so I do not believe I am doing anything to harm the area.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 2:03 pm 
They do patrol and they do check ID. I would call the ranger station and ask on how they handle such circumstances. They certainly have had to deal with similar circumstances previously.

GroundGuru

GroundGuru
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 3:12 pm 
I called the ranger station and he informed me that the only way I could enter would be for my brother to cancel the reservation and for me to come to the lottery and hope that I get it somehow.. I feel that this is a slim to none option given how nice the weather is supposed to be this weekend. Do the rangers carry a check list? I could simply add my name under the alternate group leader section (currently blank on his permit) and they would be none the wiser if they couldn't cross check it.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 4:41 pm 
I would call them back and ask if you may be officially added as an alternate leader since it is currently blank. The permit checking rangers often stage themselves along the trail during busy times to check permits on the way in. And they roam around in the permit zone. The potential fines are $5000 and imprisonment , so it's more than just a "parking ticket" inconvenience. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/okawen/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5405903

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 4:52 pm 
Meh I doubt they are going to throw a $5,000 fine at you. I would do your best to be legit and if that fails plead ignorance.

GroundGuru

GroundGuru
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 6:00 pm 
The ranger I spoke with was adamant that no changes occur after we print the permit... If they don't have a check list to check my reservation against with them then I think I'm comfortable typing in myself as the alternate leader and as Tom said, I'll just say I thought you could add one and plead my case. What is the permit checking process like? Do they just look at the permit or are they referencing a list they carry with them to check your leader, party size, etc?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 6:16 pm 
I have been carded by rangers while doing a one day traverse of the Chants. They did indeed ask for both ID and the day use permit even though they are free. They also asked us if we knew other parties going through at the same time. You could have a problem if you have already contacted them asking permission. They have been known to wait for people who have contacted them. This happened to us on a solstice hike on Granite. Sometimes it is better to follow the old Irish saying, “Better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission”.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 7:30 pm 
For Gods Sake! It's not like you're trying to forge a passport and enter North Korea! f### go! Or, if you're afraid of the Leavenworth Ranger Station firing squad... Then don't go! Or, an excuse like, "I Was Taking A Nap & Overslept" https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8027354&highlight=bootpathguy

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 7:46 pm 
Why dont you just say you are your brother?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 7:58 pm 
GroundGuru wrote:
What is the permit checking process like? Do they just look at the permit or are they referencing a list they carry with them to check your leader, party size, etc?
I'm surprised to hear others saying the rangers check IDs. That hasn't been my experience. I would say "I left my driver's license hidden in my car so I don't lose it on the trail." When I camped at Snow Lakes, they were checking permits in the morning. I was on my way to the camp bathroom and told the ranger (the truth) that my permit was hanging on the outside of my tent. He was satisfied with that. When I did my day hike traverse, I asked the ranger if I was allowed to tame a goat and ride it the rest of the way. When he finished laughing he said technically no but he won't stop me and I should do it in the future when he has popcorn. No permit questions followed. He probably thought I was an idiot and not worth the trouble.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 7:58 pm 
Can I go with you? I'm good at making jokes.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 7:59 pm 
eek.gif $5000 fine? What the hell?

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 8:01 pm 
Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've day tripped up there quite a few times, had permits for a 4 day trip once, can't recall ever seeing a ranger or being asked to show ID by anyone.

Oldguy

Oldguy
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 8:34 pm 
I would guess that after you contacted the ranger station with your questions and the postings on here, you might be walking into a greeting by an alerted ranger. Just saying.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 8:37 pm 
I would just chance it and go but then I am a bit of a gambler...or maybe ask your brother to loan you his ID for the trip.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.