Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostSat Jun 22, 2019 7:43 am 
Tom wrote:
Looks like lunacycle is sourcing my dream e-bike. M600 motor with metal gears. Full suspension. Carbon frame with integrated battery. up.gif up.gif https://lunacycle.com/x-1-enduro-fs-ebike/
Looks pretty sweet.

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Jul 18, 2019 11:48 pm 
Spesh has a 26 pound (back breaking) eBike with 160 miles range, and zero drag when pedaled. $16,500 gets you carbon hoops too, but not especially great ones. For that price they could have included Enve wheels. https://newatlas.com/specialized-carbon-turbo-creo-sl-ebike/60658/

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 8:56 am 
I've been riding my acoustical bike a bit. It feels like riding a feather and my ebike feels like an elephant. Thinking about upgrading the ebike to something lighter. Trek and Giant will be my brands of choice as they have dealers kind of nearby.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 8:58 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Spesh has a 26 pound (back breaking) eBike with 160 miles range, and zero drag when pedaled. $16,500 gets you carbon hoops too, but not especially great ones. For that price they could have included Enve wheels. https://newatlas.com/specialized-carbon-turbo-creo-sl-ebike/60658/
And it is a stealth ebike.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 12:38 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
And costs as much as a late model used car.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 3:06 pm 
What else would you expect from Specialized?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 11:27 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
And costs as much as a late model used car.
This stuff is still pretty new. The market will sort itself out, but I'll take time.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 11:28 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
And a looker! Except for the sidewalls. huh.gif

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Aug 01, 2019 10:08 pm 
Is it common practice among e-riders to get rid of the tires that came with the bike and replace them with low energy ones? A difference of 0.1 coefficient of rolling resistance = 1% hill gradient in terms of energy use. Save me ~30w at speed, and that's with skinny tires.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Aug 01, 2019 10:34 pm 
When I took my e-bike to a one person shop to get it tuned I asked the owner if he would replace any of the components. He suggested tires with lower rolling resistance. lol.gif uhh.gif crazy.gif I can appreciate the neurotic obsession with rolling resistance for a non e-bike road bike (similar to the obsession with shaving pack weight) but kind of misses the whole point of having an e-bike - you don't need to worry so much about that stuff and can afford a few more luxuries.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Aug 06, 2019 2:55 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Is it common practice among e-riders to get rid of the tires that came with the bike and replace them with low energy ones? A difference of 0.1 coefficient of rolling resistance = 1% hill gradient in terms of energy use. Save me ~30w at speed, and that's with skinny tires.
I don't think so. I have a bulky beastly fat tired bike. I did have the tires localized with heavy duty liners and slime and tubes. Goatheads happen.

Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostTue Aug 06, 2019 9:54 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
I don't think so. I have a bulky beastly fat tired bike. I did have the tires localized with heavy duty liners and slime and tubes. Goatheads happen.
I have a RAD fat tire bike also and replaced the stock Kenda's with some better rolling, more puncture resistant Maxxus tires. Added tuffy liners and slime like you. Totally worth it. Who wants a flat tire in the backcountry ?

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Aug 06, 2019 10:18 pm 
Interesting. Thanks all of you for sharing your opinions and experience. How long does it take to change a flat? Do you carry a spare tube and CO2? Is slime the same thing as sealant? People are having good results putting sealant in their tubes, if you're not pumping your tires up to 120 psi it works very well. (I haven't used tubes in years, the tires go on the rim, sealant in the middle, I've run over glass and got small punctures that sealed up on their own, very small loss of air.)

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Aug 06, 2019 10:35 pm 
If need to replace the tire on a hub motor wheel it would take a bit longer since you'd need to disconnect the electronics from the hub to remove the wheel. On non-hub wheel or mid-drive e-bike it wouldn't take much longer than a regular bike.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Aug 06, 2019 10:55 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Is slime the same thing as sealant?
Slime is A sealant, but perhaps not the best. Stan's is a sealant that lead the industry in developing tubeless tires for mountain bikes. For riding in areas infested with Goatheads it's pretty essential to actually riding instead of spending the day patching.