Forum Index > Trail Talk > Blue lake fire idiocy
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jul 28, 2019 12:21 pm 
I feel the need to mention that you can scratch a fireline in around a small fire using a hiking pole or a stick. It's actually called a scratch line and will sometimes keep the fire from creeping ABOVE ground until help can arrive--you will report the location, of course. Forget about the LNT bit, get the line in and then get some help on the way. The Help should be the ones who will disguise the fireline after the fire is out. Not much you can do with a fire that is below ground unless you have a shovel and or a Pulaski and, if close to a road, water and pump, a straight stream nozzle.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 2:49 am 
Back in 2015, or whatever year that was that had very little snow in the mountains, I was camped out at Blue Lake and two ladies came into camp and made a huge fire. This thing was practically right on the shore of the lake. It had to be 75 or 80 degrees at about 6ish when they showed up. I'm no saint either though. Our first year doing multi day backpacking trips, in our early 20's, we got caught at dusk with nowhere to camp but the trail. We were headed up Bachelor Creek and were right before the camp under the big slide section. First time up there and we didnt know there was a camp about 20 mins up the trail. We set up tents right on the trail practically and made a fire where we shouldn't have. Woke up to flames and a big hole in the ground, deep into roots. Took us about an hour to get it out with the tiny bit of water we did have and because we took everything with us but the kitchen sink back then, I had a firemans hatchet with me. We did get it out and the trees around the spot are still alive to this day. Learned a lot and was lucky. Wont ever do that again.

none
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 5:18 am 
Thanks for letting the ladies at Blue Lake know about LNT.

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 1:49 am 
Sky Hiker wrote:
Thanks for letting the ladies at Blue Lake know about LNT.
Nope, not for me. I dont do that stuff and ask that others not bother me their opinion.

none
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 5:27 am 
your choice to condone the behavior

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 8:15 am 
Sky Hiker wrote:
your choice to condone the behavior
Sure, but again I would like others to keep their opinions to themselves. Thanks for yours though it was the one I really cared about.

none
wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 12:48 pm 
I just cleaned up a fresh fire ring at Red Pass that wasn't there 2 weeks earlier. 6500'. Anytime I see someone with a fire, I write them off as greenhorns.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 1:34 pm 
I don’t disagree with hikers who attempt to ‘educate’ others as to the errors of their ways, but in some cases that could lead to an unenjoyable confrontation, so sometimes it’s best left to the professionals. I suppose one could use their best judgement as to when-if to initiate contact, or if to report the behavior to the authorities.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 1:47 pm 
wolffie wrote:
I just cleaned up a fresh fire ring at Red Pass that wasn't there 2 weeks earlier. 6500'. Anytime I see someone with a fire, I write them off as greenhorns.
I figured the same thing

none
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 5:21 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I don’t disagree with hikers who attempt to ‘educate’ others as to the errors of their ways, but in some cases that could lead to an unenjoyable confrontation, so sometimes it’s best left to the professionals. I suppose one could use their best judgement as to when-if to initiate contact, or if to report the behavior to the authorities.
Its all about presentation. If you are a dink about it sure things can escalate. If you politely say I want to remind you fires are not allowed here. If a back country ranger comes along as the often will they will have you put it out. But most people will just walk the other way and not make eye contact. I like to start up a civil discussion.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 7:18 pm 
sky hiker wrote:
Its all about presentation. If you are a dink about it sure things can escalate. If you politely say I want to remind you fires are not allowed here...
Sure, being polite will help (usually) but. You could also be dealing with some “Nut Job” and you might not know that until it’s too late, it happens.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 11:35 pm 
wolffie wrote:
Campfires are permitted there... Some people enjoy them. To each their own, as long as they're not creating a hazard or directly interfering with other people's enjoyment of an area.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jul 31, 2019 6:58 am 
Sure, I don’t see a problem with a small, dry wood fire for the ambiance and to cook the trout that I (hopefully) caught.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostWed Jul 31, 2019 7:21 am 
Bedivere wrote:
Campfires are permitted there
Campfires are not allowed in Alpine Lakes Wilderness above 5,000. High use/sensitive areas often high more restrictions.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Jul 31, 2019 11:08 am 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Bedivere wrote:
Campfires are permitted there
Campfires are not allowed in Alpine Lakes Wilderness above 5,000. High use/sensitive areas often high more restrictions.
I believe he's talking about the Red Pass in Glacier Peak Wilderness.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert