Forum Index > Trip Reports > Venus Tarns In the Rain! (Mt Daniel circumnavigation fail) July 11-17, 2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
contour5

contour5
PostSat Jul 20, 2019 12:54 am 
Not all trips go according to plan. Mine rarely do, anyway. This trip was meant to be a circumnavigation of Mt Daniel, a mountain I had already failed to summit several times.
Daniel1
Daniel1
The route looked do-able, if I could get off the West side of Aries Col and if the basin up to Hinman- Daniel gap wasn't a bowling alley of hurtling rocks, and if I could safely navigate the lower Foss glacier / visit the tarns and get up the waterfall safely and then climb to Dip Top gap for a trip over Deception Pass, and then back to the car. I even entertained myself with delusional thoughts of following Randy's route across the South side of Lynch and over the East ridge back to Peggy's Pond. How cool would that be? I packed up 8 days worth of food and supplies and walked out to Peggy's Pond where I was immediately assaulted by amplified drone rock. Fled up the creek and camped on a gravel bar.
Gravel-Bar4
Gravel-Bar4
Peggys-Gravel-Bar
Peggys-Gravel-Bar
The mosquitoes were surprisingly bad at Peggy's, despite a constant 20 to 30 mph breeze. It felt pretty cold for July... In the morning I went up the SE ridge of Daniel to about 6700 and found a trail around the mountain to Circle Lake.
Peg12
Peg12
Peg9
Peg9
C5
C5
Deepness1
Deepness1
Circle-1p
Circle-1p
At Circle Lake there were more idiots with amplified music. Is there some sort of sick new trend of blasting wilderness places with bad pop music? The Citadel route still had a fair amount of snow, making for easy walking in some places and a bit of a hazard in others.
Citadel22
Citadel22
The view just smacked me in the face all sudden like when I dragged myself onto the ridge.
Hinman-and-Daniel
Hinman-and-Daniel
Spade1
Spade1
VenusHinDanCircle4
VenusHinDanCircle4
Crest1
Crest1
HinDan5
HinDan5
blue-hole
blue-hole
Hinman22
Hinman22
Hinman23
Hinman23
I found a smooth slab on a small mound of rock overlooking a pair of tarns that empty into Venus . Parked the tent under the zombie trees and set about making pictures.
Peek-a-Blue4
Peek-a-Blue4
tent22
tent22
Tarn-Camp6
Tarn-Camp6
Tarn1
Tarn1
T3
T3
Camp9
Camp9
Hinman4
Hinman4
T4
T4
Rain1
Rain1
Spade21
Spade21
T31
T31
T33
T33
T41
T41
Dan5
Dan5
Spade78
Spade78
Whoops, I jumped ahead! The rain hit at dawn the next morning and my slab revealed itself to be a little catch basin which quickly filled up with water. Leaving the foot end of my mattress floating in a couple inches of water... hasty re-positioning in the rain followed by hours in tent with heavy rain. Later the sun popped out just long enough to blow dry everything in the wind.Clouds returned and rain was intermittent until after dark, only to return again at dawn the next day. I snoozed in the tent and then crept out in cheap paper rainsuit to shoot pictures when the rain let up.
Hinman-ss2
Hinman-ss2
Sky55
Sky55
T51
T51
tent6
tent6
Sky5
Sky5
tent7
tent7
Daniel-56
Daniel-56
Route1
Route1
rain4
rain4
Venus3
Venus3
Venus1a
Venus1a
Hinman57
Hinman57
Hin67
Hin67
Bears-Breast4
Bears-Breast4
BBmist
BBmist
Route666
Route666
Mordor
Mordor
Sky7
Sky7
T44
T44
Route2
Route2
T21
T21
T36
T36
T46
T46
T45
T45
T49
T49
Spade77
Spade77
Camp33
Camp33
BB9
BB9
After a couple of days in the rain, I bailed. Never even went down to Venus or Spade. I still wonder if I could have made the route go. New flowers were blooming on the way out...
Citadel-Color
Citadel-Color

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
contour5

contour5
PostSat Jul 20, 2019 9:55 am 
Quote:
What is amplified drone rock?
Generic sounding rock music played on a ghetto blaster or some sort of portable music system with speakers.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSat Jul 20, 2019 10:41 am 
Absolutely stunning pictures! Much appreciated, since this is an area I will never be able to make it up to. It’s unfortunate that some people feel the need to blare loud music while in the backcountry. Depending on which wilderness area it is, I think it is prohibited, but apparently not in the ALW.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSat Jul 20, 2019 8:45 pm 
contour5 wrote:
Dan5
Dan5
up.gif up.gif up.gif Great image A wonderful collection of photos Thanks for sharing

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
b00

b00
PostMon Jul 22, 2019 11:21 pm 
crazy, we actually did the daniel circumnavigation 7/11 - 7/13. i am working on the pics and the write-up right now and i will post when finished. sorry it rained on you :<( i love your pics!!!!

RichP

RichP
PostTue Jul 23, 2019 8:48 am 
Love your photos!

Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostSat Jul 27, 2019 11:35 pm 
Awesome shots! How was the travel from Peggy’s pond to the Venus tarns? I was going to go up from spade and see if It was possible to get up to the tarns from below. Can’t seem to find if anyone has ever tried.

Northbay

Northbay
PostSun Jul 28, 2019 7:42 am 
Once you make it to Spade, smooth, slab ramps, lead to Venus above, then it's bench hopping the tarns to the Citadel Pass

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostSun Jul 28, 2019 11:36 am 
C5: Nice trip! This one is on the radar for me and I appreciate all the beta...

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostThu Aug 01, 2019 6:54 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
Absolutely stunning pictures! Much appreciated, since this is an area I will never be able to make it up to. It’s unfortunate that some people feel the need to blare loud music while in the backcountry. Depending on which wilderness area it is, I think it is prohibited, but apparently not in the ALW.
Oh, it's prohibited, but hard to enforce.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin