Forum Index > Trip Reports > NCNP July 19-25: Copper Ridge and Chilliwack loop with stay at Whatcom camp
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
WolfPack
WolfPack

WolfPack
WolfPack
PostThu Aug 01, 2019 11:25 am 
I found this forum helpful in planning my trip earlier and wanted to contribute a trail report for others to benefit from. I was traveling with two first time hikers who were not that fit. The trails were strenuous at times causing them to take many breaks along the way, especially on switchbacks (there are plenty). One exciting note, we got lucky not to have any mosquito problems at any of the camps. Day 1: We started off at the Hannegan Pass trailhead (road washed out just before main parking area so parking could be limited at times) around 9am Friday July 19. Cloudy and very cool weather that day which helped in making it up to Hannegan Pass with full packs. Otherwise, Rangers suggest getting out there early since it could be hot and humid. After the pass trekked up to Egg Lake camp. The hike down from the trail to Egg Lake is rough. At times it's very steep, steps can be big, and plenty of loose rocks. Make sure to watch your step. Estimates: Mileage: 8.6; Total Elevation Gain/Loss: 2900' / 900'; Time: 9 hours (including breaks) Day 2: Strenuous journey to Copper Lake camp. Although it's about 3.6 miles from Egg Lake, the sun was shining strong. Between the two camps there is a Ranger lookout cabin. A Ranger was on site and a great resource to chat with. Copper Lake was still very cold but nice to use as an ice bath to help our bodies recover. Estimates: Mileage: 3.6; Total Elevation Gain/Loss: 1060' / 1040'; Time: 5.5 hours (including breaks) Day 3: Long hike down to Indian Creek camp. From Copper Lake you have to gain some elevation and then eventually start your long hike down to the Chilliwack river fording area. Closer to the Chilliwack there are several major downed trees which are strenuous to cross. Also, by some of the downed trees the trail is obscured. Make sure to look for the cairns marking the trail. Fording the Chilliwack was nice but the river is still strong even with the depth of the water just touching our knees at times. The fording areas are clearly marked with pinkish/red tape tied to trees. After that there is a major downed set of trees that you will need to cross. Please note that water is limited on this trail and you should stock up at Copper Lake. Estimates: Mileage: 8.2; Total Elevation Gain/Loss: 400' / 3400'; Time: 9.5 hours (including breaks) Day 4: Hike up to Whatcom camp. Very nice hike, although about 23 switch backs (very rough estimate). Lots of vegetation (at times very tall) that you will need to push through. There are several sections of this during the first half of the trail. Stopped off at the Graybeal camp for lunch; great spot and plenty of logs to rest on. There is a sketchy sloped water crossing in the second half of the trail which is fun to cross but for inexperienced hikers maybe viewed as difficult. This part has a steeply sloped water stream flowing down a rock wall in a corner that you will need to calculate your foot placements. It's much easier crossing when going the opposite direction, i.e., back down the trail. Estimates: Mileage: 8.1; Total Elevation Gain/Loss: 2800' / 0'; Time: 9.5 hours (including breaks) Day 5: Staying at Whatcom camp another day. Day hike up to Tapto Lakes/Red Face mountain (about 1000' higher than Whatcom camp). Beware, there are no signs along the trail to tell you where to go for Tapto. You have to head up to Whatcom Pass and then find the trail that branches off to your left. At times, the trail is hard to see and extremely steep. It's worth the hike up though since you get to see three beautiful lakes; great time to take a swim. Be sure to check the weather before heading up to this area. You could end up getting fogged in and unable to safely navigate the trail back to Whatcom camp. Late that afternoon when back in Whatcom camp, fog did end up coming in and surrounded our campsite that night. Day 6: Fog had lifted that morning, and we hiked to US Cabin camp. Once you come down from Whatcom, you can either ford the Chilliwack or use the cable car. The cable car structures are getting replaced at some point soon. New building supplies were present. It appears that bears were possible scratching at the main support posts on the side you need to cross over to. You have to hike up a little to get to the cable car but it was worth the fun crossing that way. US Cabin camp is a jem in my book. You can hear the Chilliwack River at night and it soothes you to sleep. This camp site was super dark at night. If you need to get up during the night, then make sure to have a working light. Estimates: Mileage: 7.2; Total Elevation Gain/Loss: 0' / 2500'; Time: 7.25 hours (including breaks) Day 7: This was a major day of hiking out back to the Hannegan trailhead. Early on, there is plenty of tree cover blocking the sun but then there are more sections of the trail that are exposed. The trail up to Hannegan pass was in great shape and well groomed. There are a fair amount of steep switchbacks between US Cabin and Hannegan pass. After resting on the pass, we headed to the trailhead. By this day we had little to no food weight in our packs and were moving pretty quickly. Estimates: Mileage: 10.2; Total Elevation Gain/Loss: 2400' / 1800'; Time: 8 hours (including breaks) Overall it was a great trip, and I would definitely do it again! Other notes: *We each had a bear canister in our packs (because of our stay at Whatcom camp). *A few mornings and nights were cold enough to warrant bringing an insulated jacket. *Bring trekking poles, they are a game changer.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostThu Aug 01, 2019 2:05 pm 
That's awesome! I can only imagine what that beautiful area must have looked like! I bet it was nice to spend that much time in the wilderness.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Aug 01, 2019 2:21 pm 
up.gif You spoiled your 2 first time hikers with that loop. Hard to top that scenery. Jumping straight from non-hiking to a 7 day backpacking loop...that's not exactly the usual progression. eek.gif

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostThu Aug 01, 2019 5:54 pm 
What a super trip. Post some pictures! Bear and Redoubt look so great from Copper ridge. Right across the Chilliwack.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Aug 01, 2019 7:46 pm 
Fun area and very scenic, isn't it?
WolfPack wrote:
You have to hike up a little to get to the cable car but it was worth the fun crossing that way.
I have used the cable car seven times that I can recall, and I don't remember even once that it was on the side where I was shakehead.gif Oh well, extra pulling on the line is good arm exercise.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still