Forum Index > Trail Talk > Archival lost and found ( not the current thread)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Aug 01, 2019 11:28 pm 
Note! This is not the place to post items recently lost or found. This is a place to admit (with chagrin in my case) how careless some of us can be with stuff. Not stolen, just lost, over my decades outside: Bell helmet on Unicorn Peak in 1967. No one used 'brain buckets back' then. This was a surfing helmet. Set it down and it rolled. My mom's Kodak camera at Bowman mountain lookout. Fall 1968. Oops, Mom! Gloves ( both) that I left on the cartop after skiing at Mt. Baker. However, why is it almost always only one of a pair? Sigg Tourist cook pot off top of Crater Mountain slipped off pot grip as I was scooping hard snow off summit cornice, but I retrieved it only dented on the Jerry Glacier 1976? A multitool on the Easton Glacier's Railroad Grade moraine. A nice Estwing hatchet with leather- wrapped handle on Chuckanut Mountain Black Diamond foam pad when it blew away and into a crevasse at Ingraham Flats Panasonic camera at Picture Lake, Oct. 2014 Nikon camera at Mt. Aix trailhead, July 31, 2017. My favorite, dang it. I uncharacteristically had it in a pouch independent from my pack, and the zNikon- bearing pouch never made it into the truck when I 'de-packed' at hike end. Fancy Sidi road bike shoes purchased in Italy, I left on the park grass after finishing Sea2Por. 2001. Checked with Cascade Bicycling Club later and they had been returned! Yay! And the big one: Garmin InReach in a Morton city park garbage can, July 28, 2019 (basic stupidity. doh.gif Check your car trash BEFORE disposing ) crybaby.gif Lots of other little things.....but you can see I really need to stop leaving my cameras all over the place, and I must look with both eyes into my car trashbin. Never assume an important item didn't accidentally get tipped into it. I have found ( and have tried to return to rightful owner) Pocket knives..several Sunglasses...several Ancient double-bitted axe on Jerry Glacier ( tossed off summit from former lookout) when I retrieved my Sigg cook pot. Ski climbing skins on Mt. Adams, June 1984. Returned for posted reward! Very fancy Swiss Army Knife, Hogsback, Mt. Hood Juicer Multi tool, Interglacier, July 1994 Set of crampons in the woods, Mt. Shuksan Various climbing implements ('biners, dropped items of pro....but I never remove fixed gear) Nalgene bottles ( several just on the DC) Clothing, including gloves (usually one only), hats, bandanas Full length ThermaRest in a storage sleeve, Heliotrope Ridge. Tie those things on when you glissade. One REI trekking pole...Humphreys Peak, AZ. April 1999 The weirdest: tie between An orange plastic raft, fully inflated, on a steep slope in the woods on Sumas Mountain. I figure it fell from a float plain when the lashing broke...but when I returned someone else got it before I did. And A walky- talky in the woods in April 2004 after we skied the Coleman- Deming. Two months later we were climbing Denali and ran into the owner...a Brit living in Vancouver who had also skied Baker and lost it....lost the item, not 'lost it'. doh.gif What are the chances we would meet him and strangest of all, either party would bring up the lost/ found item? So maybe there is one chance in ten million I will get the InReach back. How about you? Or am I the only doofus who repeatedly loses costly stuff, or the lucky one who finds same?

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Aug 02, 2019 10:40 am 
I've lost a set of hiking poles that were leaning against my car bumper when I just drove off. Not there when I returned, so I now have my phone number attached to current poles, just in case an honest person finds them. I've found: -- Lots of hiking bandanas, probably 3 or 4 -- A really nice swiss army knife -- A double-edged dagger-style knife -- An expedition size gravity filter, probably used by horse campers -- A heavy, leather-reinforced lumberjack-style flannel shirt (probably also for horse campers) -- A practically new backpack cover -- Only one carabiner -- A bag of weed(!) -- A half-full bottle of whisky -- Two flick-locks for hiking poles just laying in the weeds -- Lots of hiking pole baskets -- Ropes -- A really nice hiking hat, and other baseball-style hats

jcocci

jcocci
PostFri Aug 02, 2019 12:34 pm 
I lost a nice camera lens a few years back. To this day I still have no idea what happened to it or where I lost it. I recently lost a Swiss army knife on DeRoux somewhere that I got in Switzerland with my name engraved on it. Was bummed to come home and find it had fallen out of my hip belt pocket. Found lots of small things over the years, possibly the best was the time I found a bug hat. Was camped with the wife at Lake Caroline and was cleaning up from dinner by the lake and was just getting eaten alive by the bugs (while the wife was reading her book in the tent), they may have been the worst I have encountered. I looked next to me and less than 2 feet away in the bushes was a bug hat that someone had lost. It was like winning the lottery.

neek

neek
PostMon Aug 05, 2019 11:02 am 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
How about you? Or am I the only doofus who repeatedly loses costly stuff, and a lucky one who finds same?
Well, I lose costly stuff, and find cheap useless stuff, if that counts. Still upset about the single crampon I lost on Adams years ago. If I had lost both I'd be fine knowing someone else was probably making use of them. But as it is I simply created 2 pieces of garbage. Another time found a single microspike presumably belonging to someone we just watched get helicoptered away with serious injuries. That was a bit unsettling. Found some beers in a creek. Somewhat old, so we weren't just raiding someone's stash. Still drinkable, barely.

CarriesNineFires

CarriesNineFires
PostTue Aug 06, 2019 7:39 pm 
neek wrote:
Found some beers in a creek. Somewhat old, so we weren't just raiding someone's stash. Still drinkable, barely.
A hundred-year-old beer found in a creek is more drinkable than a fresh one, if you appreciate the romance of such a blessed gift.