Forum Index > Trail Talk > What Worries You When Hiking?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSat Aug 03, 2019 7:09 pm 
Not your everyday, global, or personal anxieties paranoid.gif .... The Enchantment Permit thread got me to thinking that I wouldn't want to carry the baggage of not being in compliance with whatever the rules are. I want to be in my happy place clown.gif when I'm out. Not that I obsess about any of these but, probably my top three are: 1. Will my vehicle be OK when I get back to the TH? 2. What news awaits me when I make that first call home when I get into cell range? 3. Health/fitness related. I do a lot of trips solo, so knee pain, the random twisted ankle, exertion rate, etc... come into play.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
nordique

nordique
PostSat Aug 03, 2019 7:11 pm 
There is medication for such high levels of anxiety.... Most of us get out in the forest and mountains and automatically feel much more relaxed!

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSat Aug 03, 2019 7:32 pm 
nordique wrote:
Most of us get out in the forest and mountains and automatically feel much more relaxed!
Agreed, noridique, but there are serious issues, such as which food/drink that I've been craving am I going to enjoy when I get back. hungry.gif drink.gif coffee.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Aug 03, 2019 7:59 pm 
I stress pretty hard the whole way up that the absolute best campsite will be taken. Can't get it off my mind!

Mikey

Mikey
PostSat Aug 03, 2019 8:30 pm 
This is not a worry, more like a concern. For many years, since I was a kid (like 9 yrs old) I hiked alone east of my parent's place, later (age 16+) hunting deer and elk (alone), and later hiking and some mtn climbing (alone) and my concern was getting lost and having a search party coming looking for me. That would be embarrassing. I have had to stay overnight a couple of times when hunting elk. Only once have I been reported lost and it was by some Seattle Mountaineers who were not able to find the proper trailhead for a climb I was leading on Mt Adams. I never thought of all my forest travel, fishing along a remote river (no nearby roads), hunting deer and elk, picking blueberries near Mt Adams or Mt St Helens, and fishing the high lakes north of Mt St Helens as hiking. During my early years, I do not recall us ever saying "let's go hiking" - possibly because much of our forest travel (SW Washington) was not on trails.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Aug 03, 2019 9:39 pm 
Get Out and Go wrote:
Agreed, noridique, but there are serious issues, such as which food/drink that I've been craving am I going to enjoy when I get back. hungry.gif drink.gif coffee.gif
That's not so much a concern as an obsession, one I share. I at least try to wait til the midpoint of the hike before beginning the discussion of where to grub post hike (if I'm hiking with others; if I'm by myself a discussion hopefully isn't necessary).

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Aug 03, 2019 9:42 pm 
Get Out and Go wrote:
1. Will my vehicle be OK when I get back to the TH? 2. What news awaits me when I make that first call home when I get into cell range? 3. Health/fitness related. I do a lot of trips solo, so knee pain, the random twisted ankle, exertion rate, etc... come into play.
I can relate to 1 and 3. #1 especially. Not a damn thing that can be done about it once you leave the trailhead, but I do have that worry in the back of my mind sometimes. I've had several trailhead break-ins, so it's no unfounded. Damn tweakers. I definitely find myself thinking sometimes "this would be a really bad time to sprain an ankle or twist a knee."

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Aug 03, 2019 9:46 pm 
Get Out and Go wrote:
1. Will my vehicle be OK when I get back to the TH? 2. What news awaits me when I make that first call home when I get into cell range?
ditto.gif Trailhead break-ins and what's happening at home are definitely the primary things I worry about when out hiking.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 6:38 am 
Will I get passed on the trail again by a 90 year old great grandmother. or worse that there will be witnesses.

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 6:42 am 
#1 will my car be okay was only a slight thought. I could have hitched a ride out to get help for my car. I did come back to my car once on hwy 20 mp 140 to find a red tag on my windshield from state patrol advising me to move the car or have it towed as abandoned. since I had been in the back country to long. I took the note to the park people at the campground by diablo lake and they called the patrol and advised that people sometimes stay longer hiking and would be in a fix to come out and find their vehicle towed away. as to what is happening at home was never a thought nor was where am I gonna eat after the hike. maybe I was more laid back than yalls!

neek

neek
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 7:53 am 
Bushwacker wrote:
Will I get passed on the trail again by a 90 year old great grandmother. or worse that there will be witnesses.
Haha...love it. "Again"?? Speaking of grandmothers, mine was absolutely paranoid. Pathologically so. She'd clip newspaper articles of people dying in horrible ways and send them to us as a warning to not participate in any activity that is remotely fun. So I came to view worry, greed, jealousy, anger, and other negative emotions as vestiges of prior stages of human evolution, and sought to abolish them from my life. But then the thought occurred: what if some of these actually still serve a purpose? What if paranoia about leaving the stove on makes you go back and check and find that it actually was? What if anger pushes you to confront and resolve an interpersonal situation that otherwise would have simmered and eventually exploded? I worked at a company whose founder was famous for saying "only the paranoid survive" and have found there to be some truth in this. I'm still unsure of exactly how I want to sculpt my personality, but am fully convinced that thought patterns do change the physical structure of your brain over time, for better or worse. Hiking is a good time to be a little worried about immediate hazards, such as getting injured, but perhaps not the best time to stoke anxiety over future events you have no control over. Having a genetic predisposition to anxiety, I hesitate to even follow this thread for fear of being seeded with ideas of yet more things to worry about.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 10:12 am 
Coming back from Forgotten, I thought I'd be hiking out in the dark, and my #1 worry was that somebody might break into my car and take my bottle of ice water. Nothing else of value to take and the bottle itself could be used for beer, or taken just for spite. I was thirsty! Yesterday on Trapper, who's gonna take care of my cat if I roll my ankle in that one no fall zone?

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 10:47 am 
Bushwacker wrote:
That's career-ending embarrassment! I've never been passed when solo but l almost got passed by a young mother with two young children once. I sped up big time at that point!!

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 10:54 am 
Bushwacker wrote:
🤣

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 12:44 pm 
I've had more frustration trying to find trailheads than anything else. Beyond that, I worry the destination will be crowded.