Forum Index > Trail Talk > Goat rocks conditions?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostSat Aug 03, 2019 4:57 pm 
Heading down to Goat Rocks area. West side. Goal is Old Snowy/Ives, Cispus Basin area. Is there any chance I may need traction...or is it all melted out?

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RatherBOutdoors

RatherBOutdoors
PostSat Aug 03, 2019 5:13 pm 
I was there 2 weeks ago. The only snow was on the approach to Old Snowy. We, and plenty of others, got across fine without traction.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 8:23 am 
This was taken yesterday, can see plenty of snow on the goat rocks in the background. A friend told me the trails where all fine in that area recently, but that is second hand knowledge so I can't guarantee it is correct.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 10:08 am 
We did a spectacular trip from Conrad Meadows > Surprise Lake > Tieton Peak > Devils Washbasin > Cold Lake just recently and encountered 1 person beyond Conrad Creek it was one of the best trips I have ever done so while I see the lure of Old Snowy and Ives don’t forget the East it was our 2nd trip in the area in a month.

Living in the Anthropocene
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 1:04 pm 
That was a great trip, wildernessed. I love it up there, and your pictures come as close to doing it justice as I've seen. smile.gif I didn't make it up Tieton the one time I tried--too crumbly for my taste. Beautiful country.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 2:34 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
We did a spectacular trip from Conrad Meadows > Surprise Lake > Tieton Peak > Devils Washbasin > Cold Lake just recently and encountered 1 person beyond Conrad Creek it was one of the best trips I have ever done so while I see the lure of Old Snowy and Ives don’t forget the East it was our 2nd trip in the area in a month.
Wildernesses how was the trip between cold and Devil's Washbasin? I am thinking about doing Surprise, Warm, Devil's Washbasin next year, and my only concern is the trek between warm and devil's Washbasin. I am not to worried about being able to navigate it, more so about finding difficult/impassable terrain. You can PM me if you prefer.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 4:34 pm 
SwitchbackFisher wrote:
Wildernesses how was the trip between cold and Devil's Washbasin? I am thinking about doing Surprise, Warm, Devil's Washbasin next year, and my only concern is the trek between warm and devil's Washbasin. I am not to worried about being able to navigate it, more so about finding difficult/impassable terrain. You can PM me if you prefer.
If you look at some of the pictures and topo maps you can see there are several benches with generally gradual elevation changes between the basin / meadows beyond Conrad Creek and the Pass that leads you over to Devils Washbasin best of all if you follow the trail you came in on it will lead you up those benches ( hard to follow in places ) to the Pass that drops down to the West side of the ridge between Tieton and Devil Horns and continues all the way to Devils Washbasin. From below the Pass between Tieton / Devils Horns looking at the bench that goes to Cold Lake.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 4:35 pm 
SwitchbackFisher wrote:
Not to speak for wildernessed, but I've been to the Washbasin a couple times. You ask about Cold-to-Washbasin, then say you'll be doing Warm-to-Washbasin. I haven't done the former, but the latter is easy, both navigating and otherwise. See here if interested. I've also approached it by heading straight up through forest southeast of Devil's Horn, then contouring around south of DH to reach the same little pass. That was a little tougher. Not dangerous but lots of crumbly rock and marbley scree.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 4:48 pm 
texasbb I used some of your pics from TR's here and other places for beta. I actually came in from the Section Three Lake TH to Bear Creek Mountain then followed that South ridge (not recommended) to the saddle below Devil Horns with a backpack several weeks prior to coming in Conrad Meadows.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 6:03 pm 
I've wondered if it was possible to get to DH from Bear Creek Mtn (always trying to put loops together); sounds like it's not worth it.