Forum Index > Trail Talk > Blue lake fire idiocy
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Aug 06, 2019 1:59 pm 
I don't get what the deal is with the several fisherfolk who posted about needing to build a fire to cook their trout. The one time I hiked with a fisherman in the Canadian Rockies, we cooked his trout on my Peak1 backpacker stove, and it was delicious. No wood fire needed. And whether one is in a "fires allowed" area or not, given the tinder-dry conditions we've been dealing with for years, anyone setting fires somewhere other than a bona fide fire pit in a campground is just "playing with fire". tongue.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Aug 06, 2019 6:45 pm 
A small campfire is warming, comforting, wards off animals, insects, and the trout simply tastes batter. chow.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Aug 06, 2019 7:14 pm 
Chief Joseph - in re the "tastes better" POV re fish cooking, that would make sense if it was being cooked between sticks or direct on a grill, but I'm guessing most are doing the fish in a backpacking size frying pan, so the charcoal/smoke impact on the food taste would be mostly negligible, IMO. But I get that some people just don't feel like they're "camping" w/o a fire. Heck, while on a cross-country road trip some years ago, I'd duck into a KOA or similar every 4 days or so to get a shower. The size of some of the pit fires were stupendous.

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostTue Aug 06, 2019 7:20 pm 
cooking fish on a flat rock over a fire is awesome.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Aug 06, 2019 7:39 pm 
While on the John Muir Trail at Virginia Lake packers set up a picket line next to our camp. We moved to another campsite up above the lake at 10,400’ no fires allowed above 10k. We settled down for the night and I saw flames lighting up the side of the tent. I leaned out the door and saw a couple tender feet had built a bonfire fueled with silvered snags about 20’ away. This was during a summer when the Sierra was literally going up in flames. I yelled at the “fires are not allowed here! “. The next morning they yelled “you should be more polite” I let out a stream I learned from the Navy and never saw them again. In the past I made small fires of twigs on slate in the alpine but after camping at Hyak lake and building a small legal fire in an existing ring where the twins took off like they were soaked in kerosene I stopped making fires except car camps anymore.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue Aug 06, 2019 8:13 pm 
I gave up camp fires entirely years ago and I can't say I've ever missed the experience since. I'd rather smell the woods and meadows than acrid smoke, rather listen to the birds and the wind in the trees than to the pop and crack of burning wood, and at night the stars are all the brighter without the glare of a fire to disguise them.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Aug 06, 2019 8:57 pm 
^^^^ This. up.gif up.gif Thanks, NacMac.

ejain

ejain
PostTue Aug 06, 2019 11:56 pm 
Jordan wrote:
Nothing wrong with cooking a trout over a fire in the mountains.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 12:22 am 

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 3:50 am 
Thanks for the fire Ski that sure felt good

livereatinjohnson

livereatinjohnson
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 9:43 am 
"if I see stupid people with fires ...(HIGH FIRE DANGER) or damaging a meadow.... I just strap on my bowie knife and go pee on the fire...then dump water on it ....whilst screaming FRIGGIN AMATEURS!!!!! of cours this is after I ask nicely and point out the ranger is in the area..." i guarantee if you showed up at my fire with a knife and exposed your genitals you would rapidly acquire a third eye and 2 holes in your heart courtesy of a sig p238

i AM the wildlife around here
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 1:56 pm 
clate77 wrote:
"if I see stupid people with fires ...(HIGH FIRE DANGER) or damaging a meadow.... I just strap on my bowie knife and go pee on the fire...then dump water on it ....whilst screaming FRIGGIN AMATEURS!!!!! of cours this is after I ask nicely and point out the ranger is in the area..." i guarantee if you showed up at my fire with a knife and exposed your genitals you would rapidly acquire a third eye and 2 holes in your heart courtesy of a sig p238
I know who you are and I also know that this post is highly hypocritical.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 3:50 pm 
Destroying illegal fire rings felt like a hobby to me the last few days. Destroyed 3 at rampart lakes, and 1 at Lila lake. I tried to move the rocks far enough they won't just get rebuilt tomorrow but they probably will.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 4:58 pm 
Whenever I burn, it's always in a legal pit but I get it decent sized, not too small!!