Forum Index > Trail Talk > Advice for beginner backpacker
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mp8251

mp8251
PostTue Aug 06, 2019 10:28 pm 
Looking for some information and advice on overnight backpacking. I am looking to plan an overnight trip. Looking for some recommendations on locations and gear?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Aug 06, 2019 10:48 pm 
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 12:49 am 
Hopefully you've camped in drive in campgrounds before. Backpacking is a little like that, without the lifeline and ability to carry everything you could want. It's a good idea for your first time not to hike too far, so that you have an easy way out if things don't go to plan. If you park at the Beverly/Bean trailhead in the Teanaway, for example, there's a nice camp in a meadow 1/2 mile or less in. If your gear doesn't work out or you forgot something crucial, it's not like you have to go ten miles across ankle break terrain in the dark.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 10:39 am 
Check out WTA's Hiking 101 page. It's not perfect (who needs a pot grip and large metal spoon? Well, you may want it, but that's up to you to learn about via trying it). The page includes some destination suggestions as well. First time out, expect your load to be too heavy, expect to not use some items you packed, and expect to forget items you didn't pack. Adjust next time. Perhaps you took raingear the first time but the weather was good and you didn't use it (don't ditch that, ever though). Maybe you took a stick of deodorant or slab of soap and decided it's not useful. Choose an easy destination, expect to screw up, and keep on keeping on. up.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 5:16 pm 
I use a pot grip 😁 and love it. But I get some people would say I don't need to pack that 1 oz lol. Really you could probably make your pack list and ask for advice might be easier. Learn some basic skills before you go like how to hang food etc. And locations depends what you want to see really and how far your willing to drive. I would recommend an easy trek for your first trip.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
mp8251

mp8251
PostFri Aug 09, 2019 8:22 pm 
Thank you everyone for the information. What about bears, mountain lions, and cougars? Do you all carry bear mace and/or bear canister?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Aug 09, 2019 8:39 pm 
mp8251 wrote:
Thank you everyone for the information. What about bears, mountain lions, and cougars? Do you all carry bear mace and/or bear canister?
You will get many varying opinions on this, so let me be the first (undoubtedly of many) to chime in on this: Wild animals in the Cascades and Olympics of Washington are not a concern, for the most part. Bear canisters are required in certain places in Olympic National Park but outside of that I wouldn't bother with the big, heavy, clunky, and expensive things. Been hiking all over the Cascades and a little bit in the Olympics over the last 30+ years and not once ever felt threatened by any animal. I carry my food in a nylon stuff sack and will hang it if I'm leaving camp for extended periods or if I'm in areas where there are known to be a lot of bears but otherwise I don't bother with any special precautions and I carry nothing heavier/more dangerous than a pocket knife.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Aug 09, 2019 11:45 pm 
MP8251 wrote:
What about bears, mountain lions, and cougars?
If you are fortunate enough to see any in the wild, please try to get a photograph to show us. I have seen all of three black bears in the wild in over half a century of hiking in Western Washington, and they all ran away as fast as they could as soon as they sensed my presence. I have seen exactly two cougars, both of them squatted down in the middle of the road at twilight, and on both occasions I thought I might have been imagining the whole thing because they disappeared so quickly. Don't lose any sleep worrying about bears or cougars. Don't worry about carrying a bear canister unless you're out on the Olympic Coast or in an area up on the Olympic Peninsula where bears are known to have been a problem (like they were in Enchanted Valley a few years back.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Aug 09, 2019 11:57 pm 
Jeff wrote:
Rodents are a bigger problem, in my opinion.
Mice have food-dar. You can leave your food in a scent proof bag, but they know. They can eat through the walls of a house; don't leave food in your backpack overnight if you don't want new holes in it. They're nocturnal, and very shy, so not seeing them doesn't mean they aren't there. Also, they poop everywhere, it just falls out of them as they go about their business - and their poop can transmit hantavirus. Their poop looks like black basmati rice, if it appears in your food it's probably better to go hungry. I've never had a problem from them, which is kind of a miracle.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat Aug 10, 2019 5:39 am 
Jeff wrote:
Rodents are a bigger problem, in my opinion.
That is the truth! Mice and Marmots are opportunistic little thieves.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostSat Aug 10, 2019 5:51 am 
The thing about bear protocol is that it mostly works for rodents, too. You are SUPPOSE to secure your food and smelly items at night and if you are leaving camp. You are SUPPOSE to keep a clean camp and not cook right next to your tent (they say 200ft) You can choose to be lazy and not care, and you will be alright most of the time. But if a bear gets your food it will likely have to be killed. And it's not natural for 100s of mice to inhabit backcountry campspots. They are a direct result of the slobs that came before you. You can make your own decisions but if a food hang/bear canister is required and you choose not to follow it's a class B misdemeanor.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSat Aug 10, 2019 6:14 am 
How do you plan to cook? This is a topic with many possibilities.

dave allyn

dave allyn
PostSat Aug 10, 2019 8:15 am 
Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills is a great book for a beginner to get information. Starts with all the basics. Food, clothing, shoes, tents, sleeping bags, cooking, it's all there. A lot more info you won't need, like climbing and expedition travel. An outdoor persons bible.

neek

neek
PostSat Aug 10, 2019 9:01 am 
Wear sunscreen.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat Aug 10, 2019 9:58 am 
From Paul Magnati's (PMags) website: "My unoffficial outdoor guidebook" Lots of excellent info for beginners here. Also lots of info on Andrew Skurka's website. Both run workshops for beginners and have written excellent books. Their websites contain all you need to know. Practicing skills in your (or a borrowed) backyard or a nearby car-camping venue is important. You want to be able to put your tent up and take it down easily, even in bad weather, without needing the instructions--you don't want to be attempting to set up an unfamiliar tent on a dark and stormy night with instructions in one hand and flashlight in the other! Coping with wet/cold/nasty weather is better learned where you can retreat to your warm dry house or vehicle should things go completely amiss.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey