Forum Index > Trail Talk > Best dog-accepted summits in the Northwest?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
SR

SR
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 3:26 pm 
Dog lovers: Don't know if there's been a previous thread on this, but if there is, would welcome to be pointed to it. My question: What are the best dog-accepted mountain summits in the northwest? I'm based out of Spokane, and will travel in any direction, including to OR, ID, MT, BC for weekend and longer trips.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Aug 06, 2019 3:46 pm 
I've noted that much canine mountaineering cane be done safely only when there is nobody below me (or, to a lesser extent, above me), because dogs are stupid about rockfall, either end of it. River crossings seem to be the most dangerous part -- how to cross a dangerous log with a dog is a problem I've never quite solved -- I do have a safety harness/belay system that I can't resist using, but the safest way is probably to trust an experienced dog's balance on a log. Hard to do when it's an obvious death fall.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostTue Aug 06, 2019 9:19 pm 
Dog Mountain. clown.gif

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 7:23 am 
It would depend on the dog. Some dogs are klutzy and sluggish. Some are acrobats and endurance freaks. We've taken dogs up Tongue Mtn. with no problems. I did worry about my klutzy lab and kept him from the edge where he might trip and tumble to his death.
The Used Dog snuffling around on top.
The Used Dog snuffling around on top.
Eons ago, a puppy accompanied us up Mt. Maude. The puppy ended up getting sore feet and her person had to pack her out.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 5:21 pm 
Be careful on peaks with dogs, being they are peaks they tend to be dry and hot and dogs have died hiking from overheating, go early and carry a bowl and enough water for the dog for the entire hike. I don't take my dog on many peak hikes because the risks mentioned before and these risks as well, but he loves lake hikes.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostThu Aug 08, 2019 11:47 pm 
Mount Maude and Alta mountain are great nontechnical spots I’ve done with mine. Sometimes my pup needs a little boost so I have her carry some rope and carabiner and I just belay her on steep sections or pull her up by her backpack. She’s a 65 lb golden retriever who does 40+ miles a week on the trails with me for perspective though.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 10:02 pm 
So many choices. How psyched is your dog? As mentioned, Alta and Maude are great choices. Alta being much easier and water closer to the summit. Many of the Pasayten peaks are super easy, though long approaches. Lots of great choices in the Teanaway as well. Iron is particularly rewarding out there, IMO. Just be aware that dogs aren't allowed past the turn off to Long's Pass on the Ingalls Way trail, but that's the only trail out there with restrictions that I'm aware of. St. Helens and Adams are both technically easy as well. Really too many choices...