Forum Index > Trail Talk > The smoke returns, right on schedule
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 6:10 pm 
I couldn't see Whitehorse from Trapper yesterday. It was clear to the east. I'll have to post a photo later. Coming back from Kachess Lake today (swim! smile.gif ) where all of the mountains were obscured, there was a big ugly brown smoke cloud coming in from the south. The "smoke storm" hits us in the beginning of August, like clockwork. I've made it a point to get all my best hikes with the views I've most wanted to see done by the end of July, and I hope you have too. Hopefully it won't be as bad this year.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 7:48 pm 
Looks like you got the smoke from the fire by Cleman Mountain https://tools.airfire.org/websky/v1/run/standard/PNW-4km/current#viewer

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 8:13 pm 
Southwest wind in Wenatchee have been getting smoke the last few days from West to Northwest winds also. https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=topics.smoke_wildfires

Living in the Anthropocene
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostMon Aug 05, 2019 6:54 am 
been exceptional here with no smoke smells and the valley is clear. last couple of years you could not see from on side of the valley to the other and breathing was quite difficult

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Aug 05, 2019 9:07 am 
William Flats Fire and Central Washington. Eagle Bluff Fire, BC Inciweb Information

Living in the Anthropocene
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Aug 05, 2019 10:30 am 
Ug. Thanks wildernessed. 85 miles away. Wonder if that's what I was seeing from Kachess? Air purifiers might be a good investment, folks. Thunder storms in the forecast next week. Seattle's particular matter count is way up, compared to normal not to last August. The sky is still blue.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon Aug 05, 2019 11:46 am 
I'm only aware of three somewhat significant wildfires in WA right now - the Devore, the Left Hand, and now the one SE of Keller on the Colville Reservation. There's slight haze in the puget sound area but nothing really bad. Pretty tame when you consider how bad it was the past few years.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Aug 05, 2019 3:14 pm 
Despite the fact the local air quality monitors say we are in the "Good" zone, the smoke in Spokane today was noticeable; not just haze but odor too.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostMon Aug 05, 2019 5:03 pm 
And....Some new fires, today, Monday; 2 near Leavenworth, 1 up the Chiwawa: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/okawen/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD647117 New start in BC, about 20 miles north of the US/CAN border, between Oliver and Okanogan Falls, close to Hwy 97, in the Okanagan R. Valley. Putting smoke into the Okanogan/Omak area now. Eagle Bluff fire, already at 500 acres earlier today. https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/262880/Gallagher-fire-could-spread?fbclid=IwAR1Fod3lhv-xIz4cUefynQqCjZdbXjDoQSKe6RvNsMEPfEk7-MAPNk_n90g

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Aug 06, 2019 2:51 pm 
jinx'sboy wrote:
New start in BC, about 20 miles north of the US/CAN border, between Oliver and Okanogan Falls, close to Hwy 97, in the Okanagan R. Valley. Putting smoke into the Okanogan/Omak area now. Eagle Bluff fire, already at 500 acres earlier today.
Yup, it is smoky on and off but nothing close to what we had last year---yet. I'm not complaining. Came back from SW Warshington yesterday and Yakima was bad, Ephrata had a bit, but here was OK.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 5:24 pm 
I was on Alta in the Alpine lake Wilderness yesterday and could barely see Mt Rainier through the haze.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
RichP

RichP
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 5:49 pm 
It's getting more smokey every day over here. Small fires all around that will likely only be growing. frown.gif Storms are a brewin' too.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 9:35 pm 
I guess the Devore fire was making more smoke today. This morning was not good air wise, but it cleared a bit in the afternoon. A big air tanker will be working the Williams fire tomorrow according to a source. Dunno about the Canadian fires. My thermometer said we hit 107 here. It is located on the north side of the house in the shade, but there is a concrete slab below so it may exaggerate things.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities