Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pasayten Peakbagging 7/7-7/13 2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Jul 18, 2019 1:00 pm 
6444/Spratt/7330(Bear Skull)/Devil’s Dome/6881(Cinammon)/7514(Daemon)/6164(Foolish)/6362(Drei Fools)/7270(Jell)/6234/Shull/6711(Sky Pilot)/Jackita Marc H., Greg K., Stefan F. Originally the plan was to do a Picketts Traverse. We did not want to get socked in for long periods in the tent, so we scrubbed at the last minute shenanigans and went to the Pesayten for some peak bagging. I will have to say this is the most wildflower display I have ever seen in my life. I am no photographer, and I never really captured the flowers. They were everywhere blooming in full! Day 1: Took the water taxi up to Devils Junction campground. No camping at these water sites which is pretty darned weird. You can camp there during the winter when the water is low, but not now. Weird. Eventually, after the water taxi dude dropped us off at a weird location we found the trail and then walked on the trail up to near the Bear Skull shelter. Funny. It rained on us as soon as we started walking. Day 2: I was interested in doing peak 6444. So I went out there in the fog. Along the way I found several long sections of old communication cable along the ground. Was there a lookout up here? Nice meadows out to here. After that I thought the Bear Skull shelter was gone, so we went to look at it. Nope. Still standing and in a great place with water. I guess if water is very dry in a very dry year, there would be no water. From here we worked out way up to the ridge and followed a beautiful ridge meander to the summit of Spratt. Very nice. We retraced our steps and then went up 7330(Bear Skull). More of the same. More wildflowers everywhere. We then picked up our camp near the shelter and went up and over Devil’s Dome (well, it rained squalled on us and I spent about 2 hours in the Megamid at the summit of Devil’s Dome waiting for the rain to subside). Up and over 6881 (Cinnamon) with more wildflowers and over to Devils Pass. We stayed at Devils Pass for four nights. Day 3: Day trip from camp. This was supposed to be the nicest day. It was also the longest. We went up 7514 Daemon and enjoyed the last section to the top. Nice views up here. We then went to tag a peak I did not know if it has ever been visited. We scrambled down the west of Daemon and then traversed over to 6164 (Foolish Peak) which I have been thinking about for a long time. The traverse was long. Eventually without complications we made it to about 200 yards from the summit and we came across some discarded cans! And cut trees. Obviously firefighters were here. A cairn occupied the further north of two summits. Oh well! We then came down to Cinnamon Creek and then traversed up to get to another peak. Let me tell you. Do not go into this location on the ridge west of where Cinnamon Creek takes a westward direction. There is about 400-500 feet of the tight trees! Lots of scrapes on arms and legs! Incredibly tight trees. Eventually we made it higher and then up to Peak 6362 (482’P) which we called Drei Fools. No cairn here. Maybe nobody has been here? We came down the south ridge and then traversed a burned area and then back up to the trail to Devils Pass where it started to rain. 13.5 hour day. Day 4: Devils Pass. We knew the day was going to be wet. Rain came and went. Not strong. Lots of clouds. We even met some backpackers moving in the squalls. Later in the day we went up peak 7270(Jell Peak) which was an easy stroll from camp. The last bit does look intimidating on the north side. It looks impossible downsloping class 5 climbing. But upon further inspection, it was exposed class 3. Still more wildflowers. Day 5: Day trip from camp. Weather improved. So we went up Shull Mtn. But first we went up 6234. At the top, once again evidence of firefighter work. And then down in once again another meadow full of wildflowers. The mosquitos started coming on strong. We walked the trail over to Sky Pilot Pass and then over to the meadow SW of Shull and then up. Mosquitos galore. Flowers galore. We made the ridge at 7400 feet and then went on to the west side of Shull traversing over. One area you have to be careful of regarding loose rock. Summit it easy to get to and you get to look down on Shull Lake—a prized location for lake baggers. The summit became cloudy and cool and we exited soon. We retraced our steps and I took a sidetrip up Peak 6711 once again with the mosquitos and flowers. Day 6: We followed the trail south and came across a “runner” doing the 43 mile loop from East Bank to East Bank in one day. Oi. The trail is lovely with wildflowers in this section especially around Jackita Ridge proper. We summited Jackita Ridge signing into the Fay register and enjoying looking around. This was nice. We made our way down to Devils Park under the recommendation of other people. Well, you have got to like mosquitos if you like Devils Park. Day 7: Hike out from Devil’s Pass to car at Canyon Creek trailhead and then ride bike back to Ross Lake Resort trailhead. They say the bridge is out at Canyon Creek. It is out, but also easily crossable by humans on the logs that have damaged the bridge.
Pesayten Part 1
Pesayten Part 1
Pesayten Part 2
Pesayten Part 2
Pesayten Part 3
Pesayten Part 3
Pesayten Part 4
Pesayten Part 4

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostThu Jul 18, 2019 1:11 pm 
sounds like your kind of ideal trip (flowers and meadows)

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostThu Jul 18, 2019 1:46 pm 
I was wondering about the trails over Sky Pilot Pass, Center Mountain, and Anacortes Crossing. Thanks for the update! Looks like a good outing despite the rain.

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostThu Jul 18, 2019 4:48 pm 
looks like it was a pretty good plan B! did you turn marc into a peakbagger?

Eric Eames
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostThu Jul 18, 2019 5:30 pm 
Thanks to Stefan and Greg for dragging me out on this extravaganza. Funny you should ask, Eric, as this trip really took me back to my teen age/young man roots as a climber/peak bagger with my brother (Glenoid). Despite traveling 3 times the miles I usually do on a traverse, I felt a lot less wear and tear on the body on return; the ridge roaming, easy climbing and cross country approaches super fun! I definitely have to do more trips like this in the future ( still have few more traverses do do though...) and after seeing Stefan’s Green trail map collection, I know who to ask!😉

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostThu Jul 18, 2019 10:11 pm 
Nice job making the trip work.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
tommytownsend

tommytownsend
PostFri Jul 19, 2019 3:20 pm 
Rain, bushwhacking, a seldom visited place AND bugs. Sounds like Cascadetraverser nirvana. Thanks for taking The Goat out for a walk, he needed the exercise.

wolffie

wolffie
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 11:08 am 
Opus wrote:
I was wondering about the trails over Sky Pilot Pass, Center Mountain,
I went up Center Mt in Sept. 2012 from the Canyon Creek Trail to Chancellor. At the Canyon Ck/N Fk Canyon Ck confluence, the ford was not difficult at low water (cairn?) and the trail was easy to find. Lots of blockdown, but mostly lodgepole walkover stuff. Nice bivvy on Center Mt. Trail to Sky Pilot Pass scenic. No info on Anacortes Crossing. On Chancellor Tr 754, interesting artifacts from the North American Mine (probly a Pelton wheel installation).

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
wolffie

wolffie
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 5:09 pm 
Would you happen to have a photo of the Canyon Ck bridge with the log crossing? I'm trying to assess how difficult it is.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 5:26 pm 
Wolfie: It wasn`t hard to cross; I don`t have a photo, maybe Stefan does. I suspect you could cross the river too....

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 7:31 pm 
Cool to climb so many out of the way peaks. I think the wire you saw must have been related to the former lookout on Devils Dome.
Stefan wrote:
came across a “runner” doing the 43 mile loop from East Bank to East Bank in one day. Oi.
It's becoming a classic one-day run. Best way to keep the mosquitoes out of sync!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Aug 08, 2019 10:49 am 
Big logs to cross the Canyon creek. Not difficult. If you do not like logs, you can cross Canyon Creek easily just by wading in well below knee level.

Art is an adventure.
wolffie

wolffie
PostFri Aug 09, 2019 1:52 pm 
EDIT 8/28: The logs at the damaged Canyon Ck bridge are kind of high, and might intimidate some people, and being "strainers" it might be a dangerous place to fall off. The upstream ford looked more inviting, but I started 3 miles west at the Ruby Arm TH. WATER NOTE: The Devil's Pass spring is nearly dry, just a trickle. It is marked on the old maps, and has an old pipe, but may not be as reliable as the map implies. Perhaps better down below? There were water pools in the sheep camp (?) basin SE of "Cinnamon" Pt. 6881, a possible substitute. Grazing damage still quite evident. On west side of Jackita Ridge, my old Green Trails maps and your USGS map are reliable for water flow late Aug. 2019 (a dry year). That central fork of Devils Creek was flowing at the trail. The North Fork of Devils Ck was flowing high up in the basin (campsite) near the Anacortes Crossing jct, where a sign points to "Granite Creek" (despite the absence of any granite). There was snow along N side of Devils Dome summit. Clockwise from Ross Lake, the two marked permanent streams were flowing well. The basin SW of Devils Dome is a major water source for that route.