Forum Index > Trail Talk > Friends of NWAC, or not
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 3:31 pm 
The rant below is from a commenter on one of Cliff Moss' blog posts (which had nothing to do with avalanches). Does anyone have any info, inside or otherwise, on whether there is anything to this? I have been supporting Friends of NWAC since avy info is critical for me, and I count on the forecasts. Per Tom's post below I have deleted quote from Cliff's blog. I've gotten the info I need. Thanks everyone for comments.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bronco

Bronco
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 4:36 pm 
iron

iron
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 4:44 pm 
he's persistent. his points are valid and he's lost access to forums that care. i don't think he's making this ish up for the sake of killing time on the computer.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 5:47 pm 
FWIW: The Canadian Avalanche Association uses a similar model. Commercial services participate and report near misses and incidents, but precise information about these events isn't broadly published to the public, but is shared among commercial services. The scale of guided commercial ski operations in Canada is dozens of times or more larger than it is in the USA. In Washington there is one small helicopter skiing operation, just over the border there are dozens. The crank crank crank against North Cascades Heli Skiing is tiresome. I've never helicopter skied, but if I ever do, it will likely be with Mike Wigley or Canadian Mountain Holidays and not the podunk NCH

DadFly

DadFly
PostThu Aug 08, 2019 7:44 am 
You learn the most from the customers who complaign the most. That said, NWAC is a very valuable service that I use religiously.

"May you live in interesting times"
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Aug 08, 2019 10:55 am 
The man is free to rant--and has been doing so for a long time. Other people rave--and have been doing so for a long time. So far I believe there are more raves than there are rants. Democracy wins.

Art is an adventure.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Aug 08, 2019 11:17 am 
Yeah sure even more reporting would be fantastic but Friends of NWAC nonetheless provides a super useful level of information even if what Chris says is 100% true.

hbb

hbb
PostThu Aug 08, 2019 1:48 pm 
That guy sure is persistent.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Aug 10, 2019 1:17 pm 
Chris can not post here. I didn't want NWH to become a dumping ground after he lost his podium at TAY. He sent a cease and desist claiming his copyright is violated by the cut and paste above. He also took offense at some of the remarks about him. If the OP could edit out the cut and paste and replace it with a link to the blog article perhaps that would suffice. And if you said the guy is loco or a nutcase, perhaps there is a nicer way to say it.

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostSat Aug 10, 2019 7:37 pm 
Interesting, I have never seen his rants or even heard of this guy.

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Aug 11, 2019 1:11 pm 
He's now demanding I inform folks he will purse legal action against them unless defamatory comments about him are removed within 24 hours with an apology. This only validates my decision to revoke his posting privileges here. He's not all there IMO. Chris, go ahead and sue me too.

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostSun Aug 11, 2019 1:24 pm 
There is not a flying chance that will ever even make it to a court...the fact he doesn't see that says it all. To be honest though, some of his points are valid. Heli skiing, just like resort skiing is cheating. Driving to the trailhead is also cheating. Living in a house is also cheating. The only pure way to do anything is live in the woods using only what you can make with your hands or walk with your legs to survive and never buying anything. He sounds like a purist to me, which I don't totally disagree with purists with regards to the mountains.

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Aug 11, 2019 11:20 pm 
Matt Lemke wrote:
There is not a flying chance that will ever even make it to a court
^ This.

reststep

reststep
PostMon Aug 12, 2019 10:02 am 
They only use the helicopter to get to the yurt. Is that still cheating?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Aug 12, 2019 10:18 am 
Tom wrote:
He's now demanding I inform folks he will purse legal action against them unless defamatory comments about him are removed within 24 hours with an apology. This only validates my decision to revoke his posting privileges here. He's not all there IMO. Chris, go ahead and sue me too.
With an apology? Even if he had standing to sue, the “with an apology” is not necessary when he asked that his quote be removed. That demand is nothing more than an attempt hold some kind power over someone. The original posted included his name as a quote; legal, as far as I know, since his own post was on a blog forum open to everyone. I don’t know under what law he’d have standing to sue anyone in the first place.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert