Forum Index > Trip Reports > Columbia Peak & Twin Lakes 08/03-04/2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mountainflamingo

mountainflamingo
PostThu Aug 08, 2019 9:42 pm 
I had been planning this trip for quite a while, as it was my last remaining "Smoot" peak. Then there were recent trip reports from the peak and one saying trail work was done....even better! We crammed 3 people and 3 bikes in my little car and made our way to the Old Wagon Trail trailhead. We enjoyed the bike ride and made our way quickly to Monte Cristo and then onward to Poodle Dog Pass and Twin Lakes. We decided to spend the evening relaxing at the lake and to attempt the peak in the morning. I did some fishing and had fun catching lots of small fish, while some others read and swam. We started from Twin Lakes at a reasonable time and made our way to the climbers trail up to the west ridge of Columbia. It was pretty easy to follow and we quickly found ourselves at the start of the scramble route. There was a small snow patch to cross that was easy to manage in trail runners without any sort of snow gear and then we were scrambling. After the first 3rd class step we slogged up the big talus field to the head of a gully below a cliff band where we were able to traverse to the west around a corner without having to touch the snowfield. We then scrambled up the crux of the route, a quick 3+/4 move to get to more easy scrambling (covered in loose crap). We scrambled upward to another cliff band where we could traverse north around the summit for the final bit to the top. A great day out with great company and now I need a new arbitrary climbing goal! I still refuse to say I'm climbing the top 100, as that is all the rage these days. Maybe the 50 classic bumps between Snoqualmie Pass and Mt. Rainier. Full Trip Report

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostFri Aug 09, 2019 6:42 am 
Nice job finishing the Smoot list! rocker.gif I loved Columbia Peak, such a good one! Might need to head back up there some day...

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostFri Aug 09, 2019 7:43 am 
Great choice to finish on Columbia. Smoot is the best list in WA, and Columbia is one of the better peaks on the mountain loop. Wonderful accomplishment!

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostFri Aug 09, 2019 8:31 am 
Congrats! Very cool and unique accomplishment. Your website is always great, well worth checking out!