Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trailhead parking fee in WA question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikerduane

hikerduane
PostSun Mar 24, 2019 8:24 am 
Not sure about where my Interagency Senior Pass is honored in WA I know I get in Nat'l Parks free and guvment CG's are half price. I want to hit a few Wildernesses on my road trip this summer and see fees are required at TH parking. Do I need to obtain a Recreation Pass to park at TH's or will my Senior Pass cover me? Thank you. Duane

So many stoves, so little time.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostSun Mar 24, 2019 8:37 am 
Yes, you should be OK. From: https://www.fs.fed.us/visit/passes-permits/recreation-fees-passes Benefits: Honored nationwide at all Forest Service, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, and US Fish & Wildlife Service sites charging entrance or standard amenity fees. Senior Annual Pass – Valid for one year from month of purchase. Senior Lifetime Pass - Valid for pass holder's lifetime. Admits pass holder and any accompanying passengers in a private non-commercial vehicle. At per-person fee areas, admits pass holder and up to 3 persons. Persons 15 and younger are admitted free of charge. Receives a 50% discount on some expanded amenity fees: Generally applies to: Single family campsites Highly developed boat launches or swimming sites Guided tours, movies and seminars (pass holder only) Does not apply to: Additional campsites not occupied by pass holder Flat fee for a group campsite Separate fee for utility hookups

hikerduane

hikerduane
PostSun Mar 24, 2019 9:13 am 
Well, if parking qualifies as an amenity. I gather in OR that my pass let's me park at TH's. Thank you, saw that in a search this morning. Duane

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostSun Mar 24, 2019 9:50 am 
WA would be the same as OR when it comes to Trailheads, etc., at Federal sites. Those are the ‘standard amenity’ sites.

hikerduane

hikerduane
PostSun Mar 24, 2019 9:56 am 
Thank you, as long as I'm at a Federal TH etc. Appreciate it. Have a couple nights to figure out still for my three week trip, maybe another day in a wilderness to see more of the NW. Wish I could stay at Silver Falls SP in NW OR at the end of my trip, booked up. Duane

schifferj

schifferj
PostSun Mar 24, 2019 5:12 pm 
Yes your senior pass may be used in lieu of the Northwest Forest Pass in both Oregon and Washington.

hikerduane

hikerduane
PostMon Mar 25, 2019 10:07 am 
Thank you folks for the replies. Duane

hikerduane

hikerduane
PostFri Aug 09, 2019 6:49 am 
Went pretty smooth, dang mosquitoes off of White Pass were terrible. Hit Steven's Pass for a o/n into Josephine Lake, White Pass into Big Twin and Dumbbell Lakes. Missed the trail to Dumbbell the first day. Set up my Zpacks Duplex where a breeze would help with bugs, most wind that night that I have experienced for 15 to 20 years. Stakes and fabric held. Unable to post a pic or two since I have a tablet. Duane

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Aug 09, 2019 7:18 am 
Silver Falls SP is well worth the visit even if you have to pay the day use fee or pay to camp in the campground. The trail of the ten falls is quite beautiful.

hikerduane

hikerduane
PostFri Aug 09, 2019 8:12 am 
I camped one night at Gillette Lake, yum, Hucks were ripe, Alta Lake SP (not recommended), Mt Rainer Park, one night outside the Park, last night in WA was at Battleground SP. All went well, walkup campsite in Rainier. Three nights in wilderness backcountry. Found a Tilley Inspection lamp in Bonners Ferry, ID to add to my collection, along with a few lanterns and a stove in Burns, OR my first day. Duane

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Aug 09, 2019 12:57 pm 
Yes, I've used my Federal Senior Pass (it was the Golden Age pass back when I bought it, and it's still valid) at USFS trailheads in both states. Do note, that the Federal Senior Pass will not work at WA state-owned trailheads (such as DNR or State Parks) where the WA Discover Pass is required. And, of course, the WA Discover Pass will not work at Federally owned sites, although I've seen a number displayed at USFS trailheads. Either some people are still confused about these passes, or they're trying to get away with something.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
hikerduane

hikerduane
PostFri Aug 09, 2019 1:11 pm 
Hey, long time no see. I only hiked in wilderness in WA, forgot to leave my pass on the dash at White Pass TH, but no ticket left or received in the mail. Duane

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Aug 09, 2019 1:20 pm 
Grannyhiker wrote:
confused
Confused; and not surprising. The mosaic of public lands are a mystery to most people. A lot of them have no idea it's not all National Park. And many of that do know there are other land managers may not know how to tell what's what. And just when they think they have it all figured out, they go to North Cascades National Park where a NWFP is required at most trail heads. dizzy.gif It's not their schtick - all they know is they want to get out & have some fun.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert