Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tiffany Mountain, Clark Peak (Okanogan), 08/09/2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Alden Ryno

Alden Ryno
PostSat Aug 10, 2019 9:30 am 
Tiffany Mountain and Clark Peak Trailhead: Freezeout Ridge Stats: 11 miles, 3,500' cumulative gain.
I first noticed Tiffany Mountain long ago (a year?) during my endless hours of map scrolling on Google; the road goes up to 6,500'! Tiffany was a highpoint in the area and subsequently in the WA Top 200. My plans for Boston and Sahale were rained out as I awoke to rain on my tent just outside of the NP Boundary. Still, I drove up the Cascade Pass TH and the weather persisted until 5AM, my planned start, so I left. I don't want to deal with weather on those two (or those four); I'm being a pansy. I drove back east and took the day to venture down some roads I've wanted to check out for quite a while. I had no idea of the stats on a trip up Tiffany; just that the TH was about 6,500' and the summit a bit under 8,300' (simply because it was out of the Top 100). So I threw on my pre-assembled day pack and trotted up. The trail was excellent. Never was it too steep (beyond 20%) and it lulled through some of the gentle terrain along Freezeout Ridge. I made the summit in 48 minutes, walking the entire way. About 2.5 miles and 1,750' of elevation gain. A great little conditioner for those interested. Smoke rolled in as I ascended and then dissipated or I grew used to it...
Someone was inspired...
I believe Remmel is the HP.
Is it even a real mountain if we haven't stamped it? I looked out at the surrounding peaks and many looked appealing. In hindsight, what is Rock Mountain and Middle Tiffany were very enticing and now knowing that they're also T200 peaks, I'd have gone that way, but I opted for a bit less drop and distance over to Clark Peak.
Rock and Middle Tiff
Clark Peak (L) to Old Baldy (?, M) to Car (R)
Closer view of Clark
Tiffany from nearer Clark My map also noted an old mine, the Bernhardt Mine, so I went to check it out and was a bit disappointed; there was much of nothing there. Sure, remnants of metal and wooden frames, but nothing to venture into. Still, the historical value is awesome.
The Bernhardt Mine I then trotted back along the meadows to Freezeout Ridge and then down to the car. Unfortunately, I paused my GPS tracker near the mine and forgot to resume it... DOH!
One of the MANY junctions encountered.
Anuddah junction. I've fallen for yet another great area in Washington. All in all, a great venture to a new area. I spoke last week to a friend about how I absolutely love the terrain of the eastern Pasayten and Okanogan Country. I'm not sure what it is, but something about being able to just meander and saunter through the mountains instead of grunting up steep faces and slopes is appealing to my mind... As if I could ever "take it easy."

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
NorthwestWanderer

NorthwestWanderer
PostSat Aug 10, 2019 9:37 am 
love this area. Did Tiffany, Rock and Middle Tiffany last weekend. Rock definitely has the best view and a little low spot to keep you out of the wind to camp and stargaze. The flower show was the best heading up the slope to Rock as well

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message