Forum Index > Trip Reports > Prophet and Jeremiah
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Silas

Silas
PostMon Aug 05, 2019 11:20 am 
Coffee in hand, we headed north on I-5 by 430 and made it to the Marblemount Ranger Station by 645. We were greeted by 50 millennials that looked just like us (patagonias, birkenstocks, leggings, and “Mountains Please” bumper stickers) waiting for permits into the Holy Land. By 8, we had our cross-country permit into the Prophet Zone and were crossing the dam by 9. Not much needs to be said about the route except that there was no water past 39 Mile Creek. More coffee was consumed and we ascended into the thicket. We took the route up the rib and were at the 6900’ bivy sight by 545. Binoculars spotted an ursine fellow meandering through the heather above Firn Lake. Doesn’t he know that heather is fragile and takes YEARS to grow back? There are just so many individuals roaming the Cascades nowadays! If NCNP reintroduces grizzlies, the west side of Genesis will be the next Colchuck Lake!
We started for the summit of Her Holiness by 6pm and took a detour up Jeremiah Peak. We found an old film canister with two slips of paper in it. Looks like we may have been the first since the 90’s. After some quick research at home, it looks like the initial 1975 party was the FA party for Genesis. Sweet. Like a classic intern, we didn’t have a pen and couldn’t sign our names. This next weekend we plan to go up to sign the registry, ten pens in hand with extra ink! We scrambled the ridge to Prophet and were enjoying views by 715pm. Ya beauty!!! The setting sun reflected off of the rock like a Dick’s Deluxe hamburger wrapper. Come to think of it, we were pretty hungry. We traversed back to the bivy sight for some food as the stars poked through the ephemeral darkness. The waxing moon descended towards Luna as Jupiter and Saturn fornicated above Redoubt.
The descent towards the car started at daybreak. It was hot. We sweated. We Swam. We sweated some more. We made it to the car and back in time for the annual salmon feed in Marblemount.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostMon Aug 05, 2019 11:52 am 
siaumell wrote:
There are just so many individuals roaming the Cascades nowadays!
Did you know that bears are also...surface poopers? I know. But it's true. Nice report, short & sweet... I was just looking at that route so am a bit jelly that someone beat me to it.

Silas

Silas
PostMon Aug 05, 2019 9:12 pm 
neek wrote:
Nice report, short & sweet... I was just looking at that route so am a bit jelly that someone beat me to it.
Funny you say that, we were thinking about Bath Lakes/Bannock this coming week, but work schedules came up. Your trip there looked epic. Super envious.

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostMon Aug 05, 2019 9:41 pm 
Great TR, been wanting to make it up there for a while up.gif

geyer

geyer
PostMon Aug 05, 2019 10:06 pm 
Awesome area! I was thinking of going there last weekend but ended up on the other side of Ross Lake. I wish Genesis Peak was named Skymo Peak after the lakes nearby. Just sounds cooler

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostFri Aug 09, 2019 7:48 am 
Very cool trip. Wanted to go for Genesis when we were on Prophet, but didn't have the time. What is the elevation of Jeremiah? Trying to pinpoint on the map, since the name is unofficial.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Aug 12, 2019 5:43 am 
Good trip

Silas

Silas
PostMon Aug 12, 2019 8:31 am 
Jeremiah was just SE of Prophet's summit. Not sure if it is an actual "peak" because of lack of prominence, but it was cool to find the old registry.

Dansjolseth

Dansjolseth
PostWed Aug 14, 2019 1:06 pm 
Glad to see that our FA register has survived 54 years. It was a wonderful trip and your report brings back good memories. https://photos.app.goo.gl/jiNkPtSRFexXYDfE9
This photo is from our FA trip in 1975.
This photo is from our FA trip in 1975.