Forum Index > Trail Talk > Day hike suggestions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mjl

mjl
PostThu Aug 08, 2019 8:08 pm 
Every year I take my (now teenage) kids on a backpack trip. One for each kid. Due to some serious heath problems, I can't backpack any more,but can still day hike & promised I would do something outdoors with them I want to take each of them to a different area, car camp (something I don't usually do) and do 2 day hikes in the same general area with each of then. Been pouring over my hike books & maps & not coming up with anything tremendous. . So any ideas would be great. . I can probably hike 8-10 miles & could drive about 4 hours from Seattle (Olympics, Rainer, Cascades, Glacier Peak, whatever) Thanks to this tremendous community for ideas!! PS any good nearby car campground suggestions also helpful

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Aug 08, 2019 8:24 pm 
If you give us some ideas of what you're looking for (views of snowy peaks, grand old growth cathedrals, etc) you'll probably get better suggestions. One option is Harts Pass. You can car camp at the Meadows (bring your own water) which I think is gorgeous. It's also not a popular CG, I had it to myself on the 4th of July weekend (not this year, stayed closer to home). Lots of hikes starting from nearby. The PCT is heavenly, Gold and Buckskin Ridge are great if you like glacial valleys, and there are lakes and peaks to bag.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostThu Aug 08, 2019 9:35 pm 
I'd recommend somewhere with a lot of bang for your buck. Camp at Newhalem in the North Cascades, you'll have lots of hikes nearby to choose from. Same with Mt. Rainier and Olympic National Park. I think it's great that you are doing these things with your kids, even as they are teens. It's really special and important!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
mjl

mjl
PostSun Aug 11, 2019 9:13 am 
Thanks for the suggestion Newhalem is a great idea I was thinking Hidden Lakes for sure Any other recommendations in that area? Seems like mostly river walks or sourdough or Thornton...

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostSun Aug 11, 2019 10:40 am 
I was in the exact same situation last year with my dad and we went to Twin Lakes near Mt. Baker. You need a high-clearance car (8 inch absolute minimum, truck would be safer) to get up there. Gorgeous campground up there with tent pads, pit toilets, and I think picnic tables. And you can do two awesome A+ day hikes from there up to Winchester Mtn lookout and to High Pass (which i think is even better than Winchester and has no people). You could even bring some food and your sleeping bags up to Winchester and sleep in the lookout; if there are too many people already sleeping in the lookout, you can go back down to your tent at the lakes.

mjl

mjl
PostSun Aug 11, 2019 10:49 am 
Thanks. Never been there. Always wondered about it Will give it priority!!

NWtrax

NWtrax
PostMon Aug 12, 2019 9:05 am 
I was thinking a combo of Deer Park (Grand Ridge) and the Dungeness Spit in the Olympics. There is car camping available at both and the mileage is right about what you are looking for. You get the best of the Alpine & a walk on the beach!

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Aug 12, 2019 1:38 pm 
One of the Mount Rainer Camp Sites as a Base could provide lots of day hiking options. Mowich Lake and day hiking part way up Spray Park would be one idea. But lots on interesting day hiking in the area from any of the camp sites.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Aug 12, 2019 2:02 pm 
Deer Park is another good idea. But Mowich Lake is not what you're looking for. It's a cramped and mobbed little dust bowl at one of the most crowded trailheads in the state.

mjl

mjl
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 8:29 pm 
tanks for the advice. we did go up to twin lakes, place Id never been.(what a road!!!) hiked up to Low pass and loved it but got totally socked in with fog & spitting rain and the views disappeared, so we went back but it was a great place & I want to get back when its clear! my son loved it too!