Forum Index > Trail Talk > Poor idea for a bicycle trail trip
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bob2005

Bob2005
PostMon Aug 12, 2019 8:44 pm 
If this is too off topic, the admin is free to delete (or maybe I will pretty soon anyway wink.gif ) but, in high school, in maybe 1975, we set out to Goldmyer Hotsprings in the winter. We'd done it previously (by foot) in the summer, when either the vehicle or foot bridge was in place. But this time, there was no bridge ('where's the confounded bridge?'). We knew that in advance, so our plan was to bring (street) bicycles to the Taylor River campground, ford the river, and somehow pedal to Goldmyer (about 12 miles). We got to the river, and there was about 6" of snow on the ground, and the river was running strong. To our credit(?), we forded the river with out bikes and backpacks waist deep, but we were we freezing cold (we did have spare dry clothes), but more importantly, there was *no way* we were going to ride to the hot springs. Even if there was no snow, it was not feasible with street bikes (the road was not paved, and full of deep potholes, at this time). Crazy teenagers. Fortunately, were were able to ford the river (again) and not keep swept downstream, back to comfort. Crazy times, but good memories nonetheless.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostMon Aug 12, 2019 11:07 pm 
Took my Schwinn bikebacking in '75. I got on the wrong Weyerhaeuser spur above the NFK Snoqualmie. I discovered my nav mistake on my old Fireman's Map, and I could see the correct road above me and on the opposite side of a large ravine. I could not bear giving up my hard-earned elevation gain by riding back down to the junction that I had blown by earlier in the afternoon. Instead, I thought it wouldn't be *that* tough to walk my loaded bike down into a slash-strewn ravine and then up the other side. The biting flies and mosquitoes made out pretty good on that decision. It's hard to swat bugs when you're gaining inches at a time, and doing everything you can to keep your bike from tumbling backward over the top of you. Live (usually) and learn.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message