Mike Collins wrote:
lots of animals come by for a visit.
Mike, you should get a game camera.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
camut

camut
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 5:11 pm 
Ditto Brushbuffalo's suggestion on the game camera. I have had two of them out in the woods behind my house for about a year and a half now. At one location I get lots of deer. The other location gets lots of coyotes, bears, and about three weeks ago, it got a large cougar strolling through in the mid afternoon. A couple of days after the cougar, the camera picked up a bobcat in the middle of the night.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 6:53 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
Where is your daughter's home?
Her home is our home, and that would be outside Thorp. She only had a few pics of part of a snake body hiding behind a bucket on the porch because she didn't want to scare it... Even though she screamed initially when she realized there was a big ol snake there when she was about to step on it, lol. I appreciate her affinity for our reptilian rodent control.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Aug 01, 2019 6:42 pm 
This isn't so much "animals in unexpected places" as "I didn't know we had those!" I was just due east of Skykomish on private property last week and spotted two soaring turkey vultures. Had no idea we had those in western WA. Only place I'd ever seen those was in upstate NY. About 20+ years ago I was jogging the loop trail in Discovery Park on a drizzly day, heading for the dunes near the bluff, and spotted something in the middle of the trail at a distance. I kept getting closer, but the critter wasn't moving. When I was within 15 ft I stopped running and slowly approached, but the critter continued to just sit there, staring at me. Got close enough to see the webby feet, but there was no big tail, so I thought, "can't be a beaver", and didn't look like a woodchuck. The darn thing just stared at me, not afraid at all. It was like encountering some kind of alien species. It wasn't until a few years later that I discovered that it was a mountain beaver, a critter I'd never heard of before.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Gil

Gil
PostFri Aug 02, 2019 5:57 am 
How about a moose at Lyman Lakes?
Close encounter
Close encounter

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Aug 02, 2019 9:46 am 
Gil wrote:
How about a moose at Lyman Lakes?
Close encounter
Close encounter
eek.gif Whoa! I would not want to be that close to a moose. My brother was in Alaska for several years, the word he got was that moose were more of a concern than brown bears.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostFri Aug 02, 2019 1:17 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I would not want to be that close to a moose. My brother was in Alaska for several years, the word he got was that moose were more of a concern than brown bears.
Moose are AWFUL. We used to get regular installments of 'trying to survive moose' from my sister when she lived in AK. One day she reported that they were basically trapped in her house near North Pole because one was bedded down right outside. Another call years later was about how a Wildlife guy had to be called out because a moose had plunked down in a nearby Anchorage school playground... she said the guy was able to shoo it out of there but veeeeeeery carefully. Sounded like nobody wanted his job, lol.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Gil

Gil
PostFri Aug 02, 2019 5:30 pm 
I got chased down a road while crosscountry skiing in Denali one winter. We came around a corner and it was standing in the middle and decided we should yield right of way. It took a while for us to find a spot where we could get over the snowbank on one side and get out of the way. Later when I lived in Anchorage the elderly next door neighbor was killed and her husband badly injured when they hit a moose in their car.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostFri Aug 02, 2019 8:35 pm 
My closest moose encounter happened in Wyoming. We had gotten an early start that morning and I was leading down the trail in early morning zombie mode when all of a sudden a strange, scary creature loomed up in front of me. I can remember craning my neck up to look at its strange face. The moose (and her calf) had been sleeping right in the trail. And as for the turkey vultures, we spotted one down by Wilkeson last week. That was the first one I can ever remember seeing in Western WA. I used to see them all the time west of the Cascades down in Oregon, but not in Washington.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Aug 03, 2019 11:20 am 
My brother was in Fairbanks, near North Pole. He took me to a really good Chinese restaurant there (it was featured in Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on Food Network). I don't think he had any close calls with moose while he was there. We did see one on a trail up ahead of us, a hike called Granite Tors. He told me to get ready to run but it didn't bother with us. Only other time I saw a moose was a juvenile crashing thru some brush along a creek bed, right at a trailhead/campground somewhere in Montana, I think it was in the Bitterroots (Blodgett Canyon I think).

FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 11:13 am 
Came nose to shout with a female moose in the Dishman Hills area in Spokane Valley. She was comically unconcerned about my proximity (or anything else). As for Turkey vultures, we have got gobs of them up on Orcas Island.

Gil

Gil
PostFri Aug 09, 2019 3:46 pm 
Granite Tors! We used to go climbing out there.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 9:11 am 
FiresideChats wrote:
Came nose to shout with a female moose in the Dishman Hills area in Spokane Valley.
yeah, there is at least one resident moose in Iller Creek, and I have seen bear sign in there too!

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
pcg

pcg
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 12:51 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
The darn thing just stared at me, not afraid at all...It wasn't until a few years later that I discovered that it was a mountain beaver
No kidding! I tried to move one off the road by our house once, thinking I would save it from becoming roadkill. It latched onto the end of my shoe and wouldn't let go. Finally was able to fling it off into the bushes.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 1:09 pm 
You sure don't expect a wolf attack inside your tent - in a Banff NP campground. eek.gif Camper saves family of 4 from savage wolf attack

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood