Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Kitty asthma
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 2:25 pm 
My best friend was very recently diagnosed with asthma. The vet is very busy and I don't get much face time. I have a lot I need to figure out. Does anybody have experience with this?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 2:41 pm 
Yup! My boy, Jeeves, had it for nearly 10 years. There is a special face cup for infant inhalers – use that for your beast. Jeeves got one puff a day, and no other care was necessary. Ask your vet to recommend a place for the medicine. At the time, I got mine from a supplier in Canada, and it was half the cost of a US supplier. I don’t know if that is still possible, but ask. When Jeeves passed away, it wasn’t the athsma that got him.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 2:48 pm 
Oh, and get another vet, one who you know damn well loves your cat. All my cats have / had vets whose eyes got all misty and gentle when they picked up the cats. Mine gets downright sappy. They’re our precious things, and demand face time if it’s not given out of love of pets.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 3:02 pm 
Thank you so much for your reply Kim! I got an aerokat inhaler. She hates it. I've been trying to get her to associate it with treats, and that's working. But she cries when we use it, she never cries and it breaks my heart. I don't know if I'm supposed to use it daily? Only when needed? How do I know when she needs it, when she coughs? What medicine did yours get? We have Albuterol, but the vet did some research and thinks another one might be better. The air in my apartment is too dry for her. I have 8 (?) humidifiers now, and a dozen humidity monitors coming tomorrow. It's helped a great deal, but not 100%. I wonder if there might be such a thing as too much? One of the reasons I go to this vet is it's literally a block away. Travel is stressful for her and I've been stress set an asthma attack off, so I'm trying to keep her from having to feel anxious ever about anything.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 3:07 pm 
Cyclopath- I sincerely hope that you are successful in finding remedy for your friend. The forest fire smoke two years ago was the cause of mine getting a respiratory infection that ultimately led to his demise. Best of luck. up.gif BK

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 3:20 pm 
I'm so sorry, ski. I believe I remember you saying that once before, while talking about the fires and smoke problem. Based on your experience I bought Parsley enough air purifiers to clean an apartment 3x the size of ours, which is probably why there was no smoke this year.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 3:27 pm 
yeah... wasn't a lot to be done about it though, because Mister Kitty loved the outdoors, and there was no way to confine him inside here. he had a good run - 15 years. hope you are able to get the issue addressed there at your end. BK

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 2:51 pm 
There are oral bronchodilators - I actually have one of my goats on one. Might be easier to administer. I've trained him to take it eagerly, as he knows he gets a brazil nut afterwards smile.gif Good luck!

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 3:50 pm 
Cyclopath, it was albuterol, and I used an aerokat, I think. Jeeves didn't love it, naturally; but it's such a quick process, by the time he knew what I was doing, I was done. He didn't always get a proper puff when he was too wiggly, but enough went throughout the days that he was fine. I was supposed to puff him twice a day, but once a day was good for him. The meds weren't costly (from Canada), but I was a student working 2 part-time jobs, and it was tight anyway. If you wait for the coughing to start, you've waited too long. The stuff prevents it as much as possible (might not always be possible). Keep trying; your little one will put 2 + 2 together; when he puffs, he feels better.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 8:40 pm 
Kat wrote:
There are oral bronchodilators - I actually have one of my goats on one. Might be easier to administer. I've trained him to take it eagerly, as he knows he gets a brazil nut afterwards smile.gif Good luck!
Can you tell me more about this? I googled it but everything I'm seeing is either bronchodilators generally, or info about asthma.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 8:53 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Cyclopath, it was albuterol, and I used an aerokat, I think. Jeeves didn't love it, naturally; but it's such a quick process, by the time he knew what I was doing, I was done. He didn't always get a proper puff when he was too wiggly, but enough went throughout the days that he was fine.
I've been giving her a treat before and after. Sometimes when she doesn't need it I'll touch her face to it for a second and give her a treat. Other times I put it on a chair with her, and treats next to it. But she's too smart, she knows what's up. I got her as a kitten at the animal shelter, I walked by and she reached out of the cage and grabbed my shirt. I don't think she was treated well before we met. 13(?) years later she's still afraid of certain things. Anything that squirts among them. (Also hands coming down from above, be being picked up, sometimes male voices, which makes it a wonder she likes me.) Every night, miss kitty follows me to bed, lays down on my hand, and purrs until I fall asleep.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 9:21 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I got her as a kitten at the animal shelter, I walked by and she reached out of the cage and grabbed my shirt.
That's exactly how I chose my room mate helped me choose my little Pita, only it was my room mate's shirt she grabbed. And my Participle got sprayed with flea dope once. Once. And for the next 17 years, she ran every time she heard a spray. Good luck with kat's suggestion; it sounds like a good one.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 9:46 pm 
For the sake of alliteration, I have to say mine's name is Parsley.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Aug 19, 2019 9:42 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
...and my pretty little Participle lived 19 perfect years.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostMon Aug 19, 2019 7:05 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
...and my pretty little Participle lived 19 perfect years.
Sorry to hear about your pretty little past Participle.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler