Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Wildland fire and King County suburbs - not good news
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Aug 13, 2019 4:27 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
As I recall we've also had this argument before..... I only wanted to point out that we need long term planning that would fix the problems that resulted in the need for concern over wildfires. It's attitude's like yours that created this and so many other problems in the first place. Intelligent long term planning helps everyone and hurts no one.
I took my reply over here so that opposition to 'planning which hurts no one' is in a different thread.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kvpair

kvpair
PostTue Aug 13, 2019 5:31 pm 
Thanks Joey, BTW how do you get firefighters to even evaluate your home for defensiveness?

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Aug 13, 2019 5:52 pm 
kvpair wrote:
Thanks Joey, BTW how do you get firefighters to even evaluate your home for defensiveness?
I was describing what happens in California during an actual wildland fire and what I suspect will happen here during an actual wildland fire.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Aug 13, 2019 6:06 pm 
kvpair wrote:
At my place, they did free evaluations because fire is constant worry here.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Aug 13, 2019 7:59 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
You'll see me in a kayak with two freaked out cats.
Not a situation I want to be in.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Aug 13, 2019 8:01 pm 
kvpair wrote:
The DNR will do it. Maybe not when they are busy on fires, but we could sign up earlier. Our town had a Bring Stuff To Get Chipped day. They are trying to cut down on all the burning that goes on, but it isn't too successful. Anyway, at the place you take your vegetation to, are a few information tables. The DNR had one there and you could sign up for an inspection. I did not sign up. I am like Mtn. Goat, I have a spruce, probably the ugliest spruce in the world, near my house. I like the shade from it and I am sure it saves me energy. My neighbor has spruce trees that hang over my garage. They too, help keep things cooler. My house has a metal roof and nothing else grows against it. I do need to sweep up the spruce needles. Don't know what kind of a letter grade all that would get. Make sure they have room to turn their engines around and negotiate. That's also important. In these here parts, folks advocate having a Go Bag packed and ready. That's like a backpack with things you would need if you had to evacuate in a hurry. Also, be sure you have important papers and any medications handy to grab. When the Carlton Complex blew up, some people just barely got out with what they were wearing and pets that showed up when called. There was no time to find stuff.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Aug 13, 2019 8:10 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
You'll see me in a kayak with two freaked out cats.
I hear...banjos. biggrin.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Aug 13, 2019 8:29 pm 
Fortunately we only get a few days per year with those hard, hot, dry, east winds. That’s what I see when I see that map. Some of those days the winds go clear to Ocean Shores or Forks. Fire engines in the driveway. They can put together quite a few five engine strike teams and move them there about as fast traffic up I-405 allows. Assuming other fire departments aren’t busy on the same day. There’s still a lot more driveways than fire engines. The question is are FF’s dedicated to stopping the fire or to saving structures? The reason police do evacuations so often is to try to keep engines doing one of the above. And police vehicles get in and out driveways a lot faster than 32,000 pound engines. That and they can tell people what to do.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Aug 13, 2019 9:02 pm 
Pyrites, I did not mean that an engine would pull into every driveway. They do stop and pull hose and stuff, and might want to use a suitable driveway as a place to do that. Turning around is important also. Portatanks can be set up. Hoses dropped off. Lunches dropped off. smile.gif When in a class about the above, it was mentioned that having room to maneuver is an important item when it comes to protecting houses. But they were talking about a rural area where driveways/private roads are bigger than in a city neighborhood. Way back in the dark ages, I remember being told that we were not to ever protect any structures. We were strictly forest fire crews and did not have any training in that line. We were to let the fire depts. deal with them. I think times have changed a bit. We see pictures of fire crews with pumps ready around houses--porta tanks set up, gels sprayed on or building "wrapped". It all depends on time. How much time is there to stage crews and engines? During the Carlton Complex, it was unsafe to do much until the wind died down.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Aug 13, 2019 9:58 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
Yeah, me neither, and the cats sure as ... don't want to be in a boat. I've been increasingly concerned about the fire situation. I don't think Seattle will ever burn, at least in my lifetime. The city itself isn't flammable enough. I read that the dead end roads and cul de sacs trapped a lot of people. Traffic is miserable on a good day, I don't expect to be able to leave in my car. Bike's not a realistic option either. But we have lakes. And I have fur babies.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Aug 13, 2019 10:48 pm 
Instead of Carlton Fire, a better comparison might be Dishman Hills, or Valley View fires, except with more people exposed, and a fire moving from a wildland fire to a structure and tree based fuel matrix, with homes (fuel) spaced much closer together. Best.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Aug 14, 2019 10:46 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
What we really need is zoning to prevent further urban sprawl - if we'd had strict laws against building new development outside of towns and cities a few decades ago wildfire risk to people wouldn't be such an issue.
Isn't that what the Growth Management Act of 20+ years ago was supposed to accomplish? Were you implying it's been a failure/had too many loopholes? Just curious, as so many of a certain bent are upset that we have even that.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 9:04 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Isn't that what the Growth Management Act of 20+ years ago was supposed to accomplish? Were you implying it's been a failure/had too many loopholes? Just curious, as so many of a certain bent are upset that we have even that.
I'm not sure that it was a failure, but it certainly didn't go far enough.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 9:39 pm 
From my knothole, the GMA is quite successful. Lands in the Snoqualmie valley have remained low density development or no development. While here in the 'burbs of Bellevue houses and low density development is being torn down and replaced with high rise apartment blocks with good bus service. If it wasn't for the GMA , the private lands east of Carnation would undoubtedly be suburbs now.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 10:16 am 
My god, the horror of people living where you don't think they should.