Forum Index > Trail Talk > Best practices for dealing with dog poop
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 10:21 am 
As a USFS Ranger, I actually can provide some intelligent input here!: - In not heavily travelled/wooded areas, get fido to pull off the trail and do his/her "dump"-- then fling it or bury it. - In heavily travelled areas, do what you would do with human waste: put it in the wilderness toilet or trailhead toilet (assuming you are using those bio-degradable bags) - In Alpine Areas, bag it and take it out (even if you wouldn't do that for your own waste). Places like Snow Lake we are having trouble with dealing with the amount of waste generated (having to move toilets regularly) so we don't need Fido's extra (however small) in the toilets. Please, Please, PLEASE don't bag it and leave it by the side of the trail, with good intentions to "pick it up on the way back". Some people actually do that, but more don't and then I have to pick it up and haul it out.... GRRRRR

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 10:29 am 
Make blue poop cairns on the side of the trail so nobody gets lost.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 10:49 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
The worst practice is super common-- which is bag in non biodegradable plastic bags and leave it on the side of the trail and then "forget" to pick it up on the way out. Flinging is infinitely preferable to that-- even on Tiger mountain.
Agreed!

uww

uww
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 10:49 am 
JPH wrote:
Are you trying to imply that a dog (or a pile of dog poop) has the same risk associated with a campfire?
Of course not. I am wondering if the use of campfire is categorized "traditional and historic" to land managers. I was not aware there even was such a category, and I am sure that is not the only consideration in making policy decisions.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 10:51 am 
Grannyhiker wrote:
Also, I had trained him from puppyhood to eliminate on command (not 100% perfect, but it usually worked).
Just curious: How the heck did you do this????

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 12:09 pm 
Navy salad wrote:
Grannyhiker wrote:
Also, I had trained him from puppyhood to eliminate on command (not 100% perfect, but it usually worked).
Just curious: How the heck did you do this????
When pups, take them where you want them to go. Surface is important.. ie, wood chips will keep them from using lawn later in life.. Give cue.. ie, hurry up or go potty. Have them on leash and dont let them play. They are out to pee and poop. Wait and reward. If they dont go take them back inside and keep them in a crate or closely supervised. Take them back every 15 minutes until they go. Once they go, reward and play in yard or go for walk or other good thing. It's super reliable with pee. Less so with poop.

timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 12:52 pm 
How would you like to be put in a crate waiting until you could go poop

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 1:01 pm 
Pahoehoe has it right. This is part of the basic puppy training for all service dogs. Hysson came from Canine Companions for Independence and his breeder/caretaker had already started the training. You keep saying "hurry" and when he pees or poops, you praise elaborately, saying "GOOD HURRY!"

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 1:03 pm 
timberghost wrote:
It's called being stuck on the bus in traffic wink.gif

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 1:05 pm 
Properly crate-trained pups consider their crate their security "den."

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 3:00 pm 
timberghost wrote:
Umm, did you miss where I said take them out every 15 minutes until they go? What is your suggestion? Just let them poop in the floor?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 3:44 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
timberghost wrote:
Umm, did you miss where I said take them out every 15 minutes until they go? What is your suggestion? Just let them poop in the floor?
Timberghost sounds like my mom was, a firm believer that dogs should be spoiled not trained. We had to rip out all the carpet and sand the floors when we moved my folks to assisted living and put the house up for sale.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 4:02 pm 
uww wrote:
Just curious as I am not well versed in the legalese- do campfires also fall into the "traditional and historic use" category?
yes they do. it has nothing to do with "legal".
uww wrote:
I am wondering if the use of campfire is categorized "traditional and historic" to land managers. I was not aware there even was such a category, and I am sure that is not the only consideration in making policy decisions.
yes, campfires are considered "traditional and historic use", and no, it is not the only thing that lands managers consider in their decision-making and policy-making process, which is almost always very thorough, deliberate, and slow. the "purists" (to use Randy's term) may make a lot of noise (about fires or dogs) but generally speaking lands managers tend to take a broader view when making policy decisions.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 5:18 pm 
HikerJohn wrote:
As a USFS Ranger, I actually can provide some intelligent input here!: - In not heavily travelled/wooded areas, get fido to pull off the trail and do his/her "dump"-- then fling it or bury it. - In heavily travelled areas, do what you would do with human waste: put it in the wilderness toilet or trailhead toilet (assuming you are using those bio-degradable bags) - In Alpine Areas, bag it and take it out (even if you wouldn't do that for your own waste). Places like Snow Lake we are having trouble with dealing with the amount of waste generated (having to move toilets regularly) so we don't need Fido's extra (however small) in the toilets.
That is great info, thanks for weighing in! it's kind of amazing dogs haven't been banned at Snow Lake (not a place I go anyway), given that they are prohibited at spots like Ingalls Lake. Maybe that could also serve as a crowd control measure, as there are always the folks that won't consider hiking without their dog...but that's another topic.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 8:32 pm 
Dogs arent allowed at snow lake in the enchantments, but allowed at snow lake at Snoqualmie pass which is a front country hordes hike anyways.