Forum Index > The Trading Post > WTB: Pargeter's North Central Cascades Relief Map
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
csk03

csk03
PostWed Jun 05, 2019 2:03 pm 
Hi all, I'm really interested in getting a print of Pargeter's North Central Cascades Relief Map. From older posts here (https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7996514), it doesn't look like these are made anymore, but I'm hoping someone has one lying around that could use a good home. If anyone has one that they are willing to part with, please let me know! Additionally, if you have a print that you are willing to let me try to take to Kinko's to make a full-size copy, that would also be amazing! Thanks, Carson

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Frango

Frango
PostThu Jun 06, 2019 8:41 am 
Metsker maps sells all sorts of cool stuff...including Pargeter maps smile.gif https://www.metskers.com/product.aspx?d_id=24745&p_id=239614

csk03

csk03
PostThu Jun 06, 2019 8:49 am 
Thanks, I did check Metskers and unfortunately they are out of stock on all of the Pargeter maps... frown.gif

Dharmabum

Dharmabum
PostMon Jun 10, 2019 9:05 am 
csk03

csk03
PostMon Jun 10, 2019 10:17 am 
Oof that's a hefty price eek.gif Thanks for sharing though! If there are no other cheaper options, I may have to consider that..

sconey

sconey
PostSun Jun 23, 2019 3:48 pm 
I have one if you still want to make a copy. Scott

iron

iron
PostTue Jun 25, 2019 2:48 pm 
somewhere on this site is a post from cartman with links to buy them. not sure where (trail talk???)

reststep

reststep
PostTue Jun 25, 2019 4:53 pm 
Here is a thread that cartman started about the maps. It might be the one you were thinking of but I am not don't know if they are available anymore. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8019003

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostTue Jun 25, 2019 9:51 pm 
Mine is so tattered I would have to send it in 8 pieces. I can understand the allure, Dick put some trails on this that he shouldn't have for one reason or another. A lot of his squiggles don't even exist any more, and haven't for years. These maps are what kept me searching for new destinations that the people at REI had no idea about. Sure was fun.

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...
PostMon Aug 05, 2019 6:32 pm 
I have original never-been-folded Pargeter maps of the Olympics, North Cascades East, North Cascades West, and North Central Cascades. I can make full-size full-color copies at FedEx Office. The Pargeter family sure doesn't seem to be making these maps anymore, and even though the info is several years old, they're still super useful. PM me if you'd like a copy at my cost of $40 each.

csk03

csk03
PostTue Aug 06, 2019 11:14 am 
I just pm'ed you. That would be amazing!
Blowdown wrote:
I actually have original never-been-folded Pargeter maps of the Olympics, North Cascades East, North Cascades West, and North Central Cascades. If you take them to Kinkos, they're expensive to do a full-size full-color copy, I seem to recall about $40. But the Pargeter family sure doesn't seem to be making these maps anymore, and even though the info is several years old, they're still super useful. PM me if you'd like a copy.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 9:07 pm 
The kids (or maybe grandkids) took over the production and distribution of the maps after Dick died but eventually completely flaked out. Metskers has been trying to get ahold of them (both the kids and the maps), to no avail. Heck, we've even approached them about acquiring a license to produce them. Nothing but crickets. So my professional opinion is that you can consider the Pargeters maps officially out of print and now a collectors item.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 7:46 pm 
Jeff wrote:
Gwen, is there anything else that compares? Trip planning on a larger Pargeter sure is easier than scrolling though an online map.
For the North Cascades, not really. Nothing that visually displays 3 dimensionality in 2 dimensions as well as Pargeter maps. The Alpine Lakes Protection Society puts out a stunning map for the Alpine Lakes Wilderness that reaches the functionality of a Pargeter map, but for anything north of Hwy 2, it's back to ye olde topos. Of all the Green Trails maps, I do feel they did something very right with the Mountain Loop Hwy map (which reaches well toward the PCT), but that still covers a) just trails and b) only a small portion of the North Cascades. Lots of alternative trail-wise, but not so much for off-trail travel.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin