Forum Index > Trip Reports > Broken Hand West and No Name Lake - 8.17.2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostSun Aug 18, 2019 12:51 pm 
The crux of this trip is getting to the trailhead. Turn off of Cascade Lakes Highway and drive 4.1 miles on Road 4600-370... then turn left onto Road 4600-380 and drive 1.1 miles to the trailhead for Broken Top Trail #10 at the end of the road. A few years ago Road 370 was in marginal shape and Road 380 was in horrible condition... now it is just the reverse... with 380 having received some attention over the last 3 years... and 370 left to nature. If you can tolerate the two forest service roads, this is without question one of the "biggest bang for your buck" hikes on the planet. 5.6 miles roundtrip, gaining 1800 feet of elevation. Photos, trailhead directions and downloadable GPS track of our trip to No Name Lake and Broken Hand West. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Aug 18, 2019 1:59 pm 
No Name Lake is gorgeous! I've been there a few times, but I've always approached from Tam McArthur Rim. A bit longer, but I enjoy that route. Looks like it is crawling with people now. Oregon's "secret" places are probably getting as exposed as Washington's these days.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostSun Aug 18, 2019 9:49 pm 
Walking up that gully and seeing the unnamed lake for the first time is one of the best views I've ever seen. Is No Name Lake now the official name?

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 12:17 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I've been there a few times, but I've always approached from Tam McArthur Rim.
Thanks for the tip on doing the lake from Tam McArthur Rim... I noticed that people are also doing it directly from Todd Lake. ---------------------------
MyFootHurts wrote:
Is No Name Lake now the official name?
I doubt that "No Name Lake" is the official name... however, when I google "oregon no name lake", at least the first 20 entries are about this jewel on the east shoulder of Broken Top... also, I scrub all of my GPS tracks with a program called "GPS Track Editor"... and it refers to the lake as "No Name Lake".

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 9:15 pm 
I went up there yesterday, great place! I attempted to drive the road and about a half mile in to FS370 there are some really serious ruts on a steep section. My older Outback doesn't have any traction control and fairly worn tires so I didn't give it a serious try. I'd heard FS380 was even worse had I made it past this obstacle. I took the route straight from Todd Lake which really wasn't bad at all. I followed the trail up for awhile until I saw a clear path upwards, then just went straight uphill to the Broken Top trailhead through sandy areas and clearings and on to the top via the Broken Top trail. I caught a ride back down the road with some guys in a truck and agree if you can get past the steep ruts a short ways in the rest of the roads are doable. Not good still but that is by far the worst part. I even saw an older Forester about the same year as my Outback.