Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 9:23 am 
wink.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 9:42 pm 
fay, first mother, mt. pleasant and hessong rock from mowich lake yesterday - First time back to this area since hiking the Wonderland in 2002! I learned that there is no entrance station at Mowich so if you don't have a current annual pass, bring cash. Thank you NPS for not giving me a ticket. clown.gif Followed the route described by ragman & rodman and a few other folks on this site, starting from the Mowich patrol cabin and up the west ridge of Fay. There are lot of way trails shooting off in different directions in the first 10-15 min so helpful to be paying attention to direction here. I didn't, and ended up wandering north a ways on the wrong path. The first three summits were covered in flies, flying ants, and mosquitoes so I didn't linger much until I made it Hessong rock. Many goats hanging around there. Stopped at Spray falls on the way out, so lovely!
meadows below fay, trail i should be on in distance at right
meadows below fay, trail i should be on in distance at right
fay
fay
near fay's summit
near fay's summit
mowich lake from fay
mowich lake from fay
ridge to knapsack pass and first mother
ridge to knapsack pass and first mother
mowich from knapsack
mowich from knapsack
mother mtn
mother mtn
first mother
first mother
route so far, fay near the middle
route so far, fay near the middle
first mother summit view
first mother summit view
mist park view
mist park view
looking back to mother mtn from mt pleasant
looking back to mother mtn from mt pleasant
hessong rock
hessong rock
hessong summit view
hessong summit view
spray falls
spray falls

Justus S.

Justus S.
PostSat Aug 31, 2019 5:36 pm 
Went out to Chinook Pass to scramble up Naches, Yakima, and Deadwood. Pretty busy when I left. I had the summits to myself, but there were folks getting off the beaten path. The upper summit started to cloud up by afternoon.

RichP

RichP
PostSun Sep 01, 2019 10:55 am 
Mt Jumbo (Missoula, Mt). This is a popular summit hike right in town. It's the hill with the "L" where most people hike too. A steep trail continues to the 4768' summit from there. I walked down this steep trail and took a longer but less steep trail up the west side of the peak for a nice loop of 4.5 miles and 1500' of gain. Bring lots of water on a sunny day.
The Clark Fork River flows through town.
The Clark Fork River flows through town.
East Missoula.
East Missoula.
Bare and in full on sun.
Bare and in full on sun.
Almost to the top. Note the hornets buzzing around the sign. There is a nest at the base of the post.
Almost to the top. Note the hornets buzzing around the sign. There is a nest at the base of the post.
Junction. I took The left left arrow up and the shorter and much steeper route past the L on the way down.
Junction. I took The left left arrow up and the shorter and much steeper route past the L on the way down.
The summit of Jumbo is the right bump.
The summit of Jumbo is the right bump.
Missoula.
Missoula.
The summit of Jumbo Mountain, 4768.' This is a popular hike that starts in town.
The summit of Jumbo Mountain, 4768.' This is a popular hike that starts in town.
Ch-paa-qn Peak is just under 8000' and immediately caught my eye. It was formally called "Squaw Peak." With 4000' of prominence, it is definitely on the to do list.
Ch-paa-qn Peak is just under 8000' and immediately caught my eye. It was formally called "Squaw Peak." With 4000' of prominence, it is definitely on the to do list.
University Peak is the continuation of Sentinel Peak where the "M" is located. The highest point is just over 5800.' I'll try this one next time I'm in town.
University Peak is the continuation of Sentinel Peak where the "M" is located. The highest point is just over 5800.' I'll try this one next time I'm in town.
Missoula is located at what was once the bottom of an ice age lake. The scablands of Washington were formed when water rushed out of this area down toward the Pacific Ocean.
Missoula is located at what was once the bottom of an ice age lake. The scablands of Washington were formed when water rushed out of this area down toward the Pacific Ocean.
Plaque and the base of the "L."
Plaque and the base of the "L."
The "L" above Missoula.
The "L" above Missoula.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Sep 01, 2019 5:38 pm 
I’ve only seen Missoula in the early summer when everything was a verdant green color. The golden hills are a reminder that fall is on its way! Wednesday Hiking Partner and I embarked on a five day trip up the Meadow Mountain Trail, hoping to get some views of Glacier Peak and visit a few lakes. We spent the first night at Meadow Lake, sharing it with a group of five friendly millennials from California.
Meadow Lake 8/28/19
Meadow Lake 8/28/19
Thursday we had pretty good weather and made our way down to Diamond Lake, a little challenging for me with my backpack on, due to some route finding issues resulting in a veggie belay. clown.gif Beautiful views along the way.
Meadow Mountain Trail 8/28-8/31/19
Diamond Lake 8/29-8/31/19
We were traveling light with tarps due to the (overly) optimistic weather forecast. To save fuel, I cold-soaked ramen. It turned out just fine!
Thursday night, clouds rolled in,as they will do in the Glacier Peak area, and it rained all night. However, in the morning we checked several weather forecasts with the InReach, and they all said it was going to be sunny in the afternoon, so we waited it out. The tarps worked well and nothing got wet. Eventually the sun did return, so we headed over to Emerald Lake for a dayhike (er dayscramble). It was a bit tough going due to the steep descent, but I was getting more proficient at veggie belaying. The lake was gorgeous.
Emerald Lake 8/30/19
Emerald Lake 8/30/19
Emerald Lake 8/30/19
Emerald Lake 8/30/19
Climbing out of Emerald Lake 8/30/19
Climbing out of Emerald Lake 8/30/19
Beautiful views of Lime Ridge and the top of Glacier Peak!
Lime Ridge 8/30/19
Lime Ridge 8/30/19
Lime Ridge 8/30/19
Lime Ridge 8/30/19
Lime Ridge 8/30/19
Lime Ridge 8/30/19
Meadow Mountain Trail 8/31/19
In the evening, we enjoyed a nice reflection of Lime Ridge in Diamond Lake.
The next morning, we packed up and climbed 700 feet out of Diamond Lake in hopes of hiking up to Fire Mountain and finding a campsite with a view of Glacier Peak. Sadly, the top was obscured by clouds, and right when we reached the Meadow Mountain Trail, it began to rain. We decided to cut our trip short and head out for the 12 mile walk back to the trailhead. Every once in a while the sun would come out, highlighting the early fall colors. It was slow going at times due to an abundance of delectable berries!
I had a little excitement when I found myself in the way of a bear walking up the trail. There wasn’t room for both of us, so I apologized and started barking like a Jack Russell terrier, causing the poor bear to turn around and bolt back down the trail. As we finally got close to the trailhead, we met a friendly bow hunter, the first person we had seen since we left Meadow Lake Thursday morning. The only other people we met after that were a family with a cute toddler who set up camp in the middle of the decommissioned road a couple of miles from the trailhead.
Holiday Campers on the Meadow Mountain Trail 8/31/19
Holiday Campers on the Meadow Mountain Trail 8/31/19

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSun Sep 01, 2019 5:51 pm 
Missoula is my home of record. I have been to the M only once and never up jumbo. way way back when the missoula airfield was near the fairground dad told me about flying a single engine piper cub straight at the cliff and never hit it because of updraft.. i have seen free jumpers off the cliff.

Brucester

Brucester
PostMon Sep 02, 2019 12:50 pm 
Rich, sounds like a fun trip! up.gif

Brucester

Brucester
PostMon Sep 02, 2019 3:16 pm 
Felt good to stretch the legs after a long drive from Seattle Saturday....

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Sep 02, 2019 5:17 pm 
Nice 10 mi. hike today in Newport Rhode Island first along beach for $16 for two Lobster Rolls then along Cliff Walk Trail past “Summer Cottages” aka mansions built in The Gilded Age by various robber barons then looping back along the port.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Sep 02, 2019 5:28 pm 
A few days ago we came back from Marmot/No Name/Jade/Pea Soup area. Lots of people enjoying the area just before Labor Day weekend. One guy from Arizona said he heard about Jade Lake on Instagram. We climbed up Terrace Mtn from Marmot Lake which went well. Also floated in the lake for the rest of an afternoon. All trails in pretty good condition and driving the road to the end was fine in a Prius. The glacial remnant getting to Pea Soup Lake was icy in most parts, with some hard snow at the bottom and top. We stepped over several small crevasses. Traction devices helped a lot. We counted something like 39 parties going in to either Tuck/Robin or Marmot Lake areas on Friday before Labor Day, and we weren't sure where the heck they'd be camping!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Sep 03, 2019 12:36 pm 
Hadn't really intended to repeat the 7 Lakes Basin/High Divide loop as a day hike, but a buddy invited me last minute so I found myself out there early on Monday of Labor Day weekend. Wasn't too sure about it, hadn't done that kind of mileage in a while. Turned out okay. I was ready to be done but I wasn't dying. Saw 6 bears, by far a record for me. They were very busy browsing. We caught the tail end of the rescue by Sol Duc Falls that is referenced in Trail Talk. Didn't drop down to the lakes basin. Did tag Bogachiel Peak.

Midnight Slogger
'Schwack Job

Midnight Slogger
'Schwack Job
PostTue Sep 03, 2019 7:21 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Saw 6 bears, by far a record for me. They were very busy browsing.
We were hiking out of there last Monday and saw 21 distinct bears, from Cat Basin all the way down to Deer Lake! I don't think I've seen 21 bears total in all the other years I've been in the mountains. The place was just crawling with them. I heard somewhere else on this site that they've overpopulated. Also met a friendly biologist who was helping out on the goat removal project. Sounds like they're planning to kill all the ones that they don't relocate by helicopter. Thanks for your pics, which are much better than mine. They take me back there. Cheers.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Sep 03, 2019 9:41 pm 
Midnight Slogger wrote:
I heard somewhere else on this site that they've overpopulated.
I thought about that a little bit yesterday. They seem to be thriving up there. How are we so sure we know what ideal population numbers for various species are?

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Sep 04, 2019 11:28 pm 
Wanted to do a quick workout up Beckler Peak today, but discovered the road was closed for what appeared to be active logging. Drove up 2 a little farther to the Surprise Creek Trail instead. Usually just do this as part of a loop without stopping at Surprise Lake due to too many people and bugs. Today however, I spent some time at the lake, and there were no bugs or people. And the colors were surreal!
Surprise Lake 9/4/19
Surprise Lake 9/4/19
Surprise Lake 9/4/19
Surprise Lake 9/4/19
Surprise Lake 9/4/19
Surprise Lake 9/4/19
Surprise Lake 9/4/19
Surprise Lake 9/4/19