Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 10:10 pm 
Ski wrote:
... and what makes you think the Chinese won't see this as an opportunity and a reason to up the ante monetarily on their side of the border? wink.gif
The Chinese cut the number of folks allowed on the north side this season by 1/3 , seems they want to clean up some of the garbage left by prior expeditions. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/21/mount-everest-climbers-face-major-clampdown-as-china-begins-cleanup. A bit under 300 permitted on the north side this last season vs 380 on the south.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 10:17 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Anne Elk wrote:
Knowing what a circus the place has become, you'd think people wouldn't even want to go there.
To quote I believe Yogi Berra, "nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded." winksmile.gif
Yogi berra was the real deal
Yogi Berra FTW!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 12:01 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
"...seems they want to clean up some of the garbage left by prior expeditions."
Well... the Chinese aren't stupid, first of all. Sounds like a hell of a good idea. Everest base camp on the Nepal side has become a garbage dump. Higher up the mountain is littered with empty oxygen bottles, dead bodies, and all the rest of the crap left behind during the 66 years since Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay reached the summit. Why not limit the number of permits, make them more difficult to get, and charge more money? Again, on the Nepal side, those mountains are about all they have to support their economy. Why not milk it for all it's worth? They could double the cost of the Everest permit and still have people standing in line waiting to buy them.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
OwenT

OwenT
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 12:06 pm 
Do they hope that some people that can pay their way to the top will realize that it's not for them or decide not to do Everest after doing the required 6500m peak first, using it as sort of a weeding out tool?

contour5

contour5
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 12:22 pm 
OwenT wrote:
Do they hope that some people that can pay their way to the top will realize that it's not for them or decide not to do Everest after doing the required 6500m peak first, using it as sort of a weeding out tool?
I am pretty sure that’s the whole point. Many of the unroadworthy will fail on their 6500 meter attempts, and thus, will be prevented from attempting Mount Everest.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 2:06 pm 
Or, it will merely increase the pressure to summit 6500m, and result in deaths anyway, merely in a different place.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 5:55 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
Or, it will merely increase the pressure to summit 6500m, and result in deaths anyway, merely in a different place.
There is a huge difference between 6500 meters and 8800 meters, it is the region above 8000 meters that is called the "death zone". Also a significant issue last season was people running out of supplement oxygen waiting in the queue above the Hilkary Step, your assertion the number of deaths will remain constant is unsupported by evidence.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 9:57 am 
6500 meters is about the limit where mere mortals can get by without supplementary oxygen.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Aug 19, 2019 1:39 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
There is a huge difference between 6500 meters and 8800 meters, it is the region above 8000 meters that is called the "death zone". Also a significant issue last season was people running out of supplement oxygen waiting in the queue above the Hilkary Step, your assertion the number of deaths will remain constant is unsupported by evidence.
I don't recall making an assertion that the number of deaths would remain constant. It makes more sense to respond to what people actually write, rather than what they write in your head. This practice is supported by the evidence.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Aug 19, 2019 4:13 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
I don't recall making an assertion that the number of deaths would remain constant.
Short term memory issues starting to emerge?
MtnGoat wrote:

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Aug 19, 2019 6:32 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Totally. Just like all those people dying on Si and Mailbox, training for Rainier.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 10:45 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
MtnGoat wrote:
Yeah but if you're right, Randy, the people will still die on Everest, because doing the 6500m peak won't prepare them for the death zone. Either way, it's hard to see the point, other than what you have already pointed out which is that they are just trying to drum up more business under the guise of safety.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 6:49 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
Ya how dare the sherpa people massively improve their standard of living in trade for everest guiding at prices rich people are willing to pay.
The problem is that a lot of the sherpas dont make that much money for extremely hard and high risk work versus what the western guiding companies are making. Improvements have been made but not many are getting rich. I don't give a f about Everest beyond the exploitation of sherpa labor... Did anyone watch the movie about the 2014 avalanche called Sherpa? There is one interview where the owner of the guide company keeps calling the sherpas boys and it comes off as so disrespectful. They arent boys, they are men. Other than that? I could care less. I have no interest in climbing it and if I found out someone I knew climbed in in the last 20 years it would make me like them less. It's a look at me sh## show for narcissists at this point. They can have their trash heap. It's not like they dont know the risks going in.