Forum Index > Trip Reports > Little Si Confession
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostMon Feb 21, 2005 1:23 am 
Three reasons for posting this short report: 1. I did this trail and want to comment on it. I found this to be a good trail with a wide variety of terrain that can be located and enjoyed by the vast majority of the general public. I can't comment on specific length as there weren't any signs as far as I saw. My total round trip for was less than two hours - reaching the summit at just after 5:00pm on Sat Feb 19th, in time to watch the sun set over the surrounding hills. I snapped a few pics, may attach them later. [Edit - pics attached monday pm] There were LOTS of people on this trail, some looked ready to hike, others looked like they were on a spur of the moment trip (like I was). There is a new trailhead location that is easy to locate just north of North Bend. I'm sure anyone new to this site reading this report can locate the directions online somewhere else or stop anywhere in North Bend and ask around. Trailhead has a paved parking lot and a bathroom building. No wildlife was noted, except for the dogs which seemed to accompany half of the wanderers on the trail that day. My biggest surprise was the climbing route and I enjoyed watching a small group of people, adequately equipped, descending that route. Wish I had those skills. 2. My opportunities to hike are limited by my 'other life' full of commitments and obligations so I like to post my trip reports just because I CAN. 3. My confession: The In-Laws, spouse and Kids headed off to a movie I wasn't interested in. I opted to sit that one out and headed to get a coffee. After stopping at the North Bend Starprofits for a Venti drip, I was about to head back to the house where I would get to sit on the couch with the In-Law Grandparents watching America's Most Wanted and assisting with the Jigsaw puzzle... when I realized I suddenly had two free hours on a beautiful day... how did I want to spend it... Gotta go Hinking! I hinked up the trail as fast as possible... all the while holding my Starprofits cup. I had numerous amused looks, a few funny comments, one serious inquiry as to 'where did I get that' and more than a few looked really irritated at my nerve to flaunt such an urban sight more than 100 meters from the nearest cubicle or computer. While I didn't intend to disrupt the sense of nature with my cup of joe, I wasn't about to leave it to die in the car. Besides, every peak I bag always leaves me craving a cup of good coffee a the top. This time, I had it with me, although it wasn't all that I had hoped it would be. Oh well... at least I can say Been there, done that. >>EDIT: Adding a flickr pic.
View from Little Si
View from Little Si
Thanks for reading. Elvis
Green evergreen at top, just 'cuz.
Green evergreen at top, just 'cuz.
Big Si from Little Si
Big Si from Little Si

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Feb 21, 2005 10:00 am 
Thanks for posting...and glad you had a good time. We may poke fun at the likes of Little Si, Squak, etc. but the truth is there's a time and a purpose for every trail out there. Looking forward to the pics.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostMon Feb 21, 2005 10:11 am 
Elvis wrote:
I hinked up the trail as fast as possible... all the while holding my Starprofits cup.
The only reason I haven't carried caffeine up the local trail is I'm not coordinated enough to do it without wearing it. I must admit to taking a stove and espresso maker to the top of McClellan Butte several years ago. I'm sure we just reinforced a bunch of stereotypes for the visitors from Ohio that we met up there smile.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Feb 21, 2005 10:13 am 
Good for you, you get out, you got out. Who are these people that break the peace and sanctity of dayhiking with a cup of Joe ? The Mountain Gods are surely with you ! Great story, good to vent... wildernessed hockeygrin.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Agape

Agape
PostMon Feb 21, 2005 10:22 am 
I've been on the trail once or twice a few years ago. Good to hear they have a real trailhead now. The other one just wasn't very convenient and I'm sure there were a lot of complaints from the neighbors about people walking on their property.

"We will be known by the tracks we leave behind." Dakota Proverb
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Feb 21, 2005 10:22 am 
Hey, any walk in the woods beats sitting at home watching the tube. Good for you for getting the legs and lungs moving on a gorgeous day!

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
TJD

TJD
PostThu Feb 24, 2005 11:26 am 
I lived in the area in the late 60's early 70's , we did Mt. Si many times as kid with our dads. Is little Si different? There were no homes any where near where we went. In fact for many miles. Elvis I sure under stand about commitments and getting to the hills. up.gif

moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostThu Feb 24, 2005 11:35 am 
TJD wrote:
I lived in the area in the late 60's early 70's , we did Mt. Si many times as kid with our dads. Is little Si different? There were no homes any where near where we went. In fact for many miles.
No homes near Mt. Si? Wow. I wonder what that was like. Today Mt. Si is surrounded by homes on the south side, but still pretty open on the north and east sides. The west side has a small community, but nothing massive. Little Si is different than Mt. Si. It's the little knob to the south of Mt. Si. Attached is a crappy photo from Rattlesnake Ridge across the valley (shot in 2000), but I don't have anything more recent. I'm sure there must be something in the archives here, but I'm too lazy to search.
rattlesnake-nb-si
rattlesnake-nb-si

TJD

TJD
PostThu Feb 24, 2005 12:27 pm 
Thanks moosefish I thought if Elvis could round trip Si in two hours , with a cup of starbucks in hand. He must be way beyond any thing I could hope for. Of course he may well be. dizzy.gif

loofus
carpet bagger

loofus
carpet bagger
PostSun Feb 27, 2005 3:23 pm 
There is definitely something to be said about mountains and coffee, I'm just not sure what it is, yet 'cause nobody has said it to me. I usually take the time to stop and boil a good ol' pot of cowboy coffee during hikes-jest seems natural, and if you make it right, it doesn't take nearly as much water as you'd think. I did take a cup of coffee down my last run while skiing last weekend. Two jumps and not a drop spilt.

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.